Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
shonokin
Life Support Technician

Default Meddings and Aces High

I'm watching the WWI aviation movie Aces High and Derek Meddings is cited in the credits. I saw one scene that must've been one of his set-ups as it almost looks identical to the beginning of Thunderbird 6.

Would one of you enlightened fellows know what all Derek did on this production? For instance are the airplane models (like in the 1970s BBC series WINGS) or full sized, and if models was that Derek's work etc?
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

He certainly did some of the flying scenes using models though some of the aerial footage used was from other films, notably "The Blue Max". I saw him give a lecture many years ago and he said he was particularly proud of a scene where a pilot who was on fire jumped from a plane without a parachute. He built a full size dummy for this that had motorised arms that were seen to beat out the flames as it plumetted to earth.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 30-07-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default Derek Meddings on Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
I'm watching the WWI aviation movie Aces High and Derek Meddings is cited in the credits. I saw one scene that must've been one of his set-ups as it almost looks identical to the beginning of Thunderbird 6.

Would one of you enlightened fellows know what all Derek did on this production? For instance are the airplane models (like in the 1970s BBC series WINGS) or full sized, and if models was that Derek's work etc?
Derek was the Special and miniature effects supervisor on this film..
Shots such as the plane crash, anti aircraft guns and I seem to remember a Baloon blowing up where all executed in miniature by him.. He also handled the full scale effects as well...
He was very upset at not being offered Space 1999 by Gerry Anderson but went on to make a very successful career in feature films such as the Bond and Superman movies..
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Gerry's version was that he'd offered Space:1999 to Derek and Derek had said 'Gerry,You could never afford me'

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere between those two version
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
He was very upset at not being offered Space 1999 by Gerry Anderson but went on to make a very successful career in feature films such as the Bond and Superman movies..
That's certainly what Derek told me, as he'd put a huge amount of time and creative effort into creating the special effects for Gerry's shows, and then when he'd been out of work prior to The Spy Who Loved Me, he found that Gerry had offered Space:1999 to Brian Johnson instead, who Gerry had reportedly tried to belittle when he left APF to work for Stanley Kubrick. I imagine Gerry must have thought Brian's 2001 connection had given him a bigger name when it came to selling Space:1999.

Derek of course then went on to work on several hugely successful big budget films, so when Gerry then approached him to work on a low budget TV series, Derek was probably quite correct in saying that Gerry couldn't afford him. Personally I don't think Gerry would ever have been able to make the shows he did in the 60s without Derek's input, and I'm not sure if Gerry's ever really appreciated how incredibly lucky he was to have such a dedicated and talented artist working for him.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Personally I don't think Gerry would ever have been able to make the shows he did in the 60s without Derek's input, and I'm not sure if Gerry's ever really appreciated how incredibly lucky he was to have such a dedicated and talented artist working for him.
Never were truer words written.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 01-08-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default Derek Meddings and the 'You couldnt afford me' remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
Gerry's version was that he'd offered Space:1999 to Derek and Derek had said 'Gerry,You could never afford me'

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere between those two version
I think you'll find that was when Gerry bumped into Derek at Pinewood and said 'Ive got a new series' (Terrahawks) and Derek said 'sorry Gerry you could never afford me'...
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
I think you'll find that was when Gerry bumped into Derek at Pinewood and said 'Ive got a new series' (Terrahawks) and Derek said 'sorry Gerry you could never afford me'...
Yes, that's correct - it was Terrahawks, not Space:1999.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Derek Meddings along with Christine Glanville and others who have sadly left us truly put a lot of skill into all the Supermarionation Shows. Derek of course became a big name in The Film industry. Derek's last work on Goldeneye with his two sons Mark and Elliott was truly outstanding. Did him and Gerry keep in touch after UFO ended production?
JimTVFan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default Derek Meddings and the 'You couldnt afford me' remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTVFan View Post
Derek Meddings along with Christine Glanville and others who have sadly left us truly put a lot of skill into all the Supermarionation Shows. Derek of course became a big name in The Film industry. Derek's last work on Goldeneye with his two sons Mark and Elliott was truly outstanding. Did him and Gerry keep in touch after UFO ended production?
Utterly true..........