SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Default Scratchbuild SS SHADO Mobile

Hello,
Long time no see. My past few months have been eventful, not necessarily in a good way, but things are slowing down. To relax I've decided to use some of the things I have (never quite got through selling) and build a Studio Scale SHADO Mobile.

I bonded 3 pieces of blue foam insulation together and am making the master from that. A mold will be created and the body will be fiberglass. Here's the project so far, it's taken me less than a week. I've used Johns plans and other sources and feel it's pretty close. I'm going with the 20.25 length dimension. Still have a couple kits to find but I've most everything else.
The initial one will not be R/C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shado_Mobile_Buck.jpg (49.4 KB, 72 views)
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Interesting development: I've found what appears to be inconsistencies with JBGoode's blueprints and the dimensions posted in many threads here. John insists that his prints are correct and the information posted here is incorrect and questions the credentials of the individuals posting.

I guess nothing is easy....
Old 30-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
Interesting development: I've found what appears to be inconsistencies with JBGoode's blueprints and the dimensions posted in many threads here. John insists that his prints are correct and the information posted here is incorrect and questions the credentials of the individuals posting.

Hi Doug,

What is being questioned exactly?

I would take everything with a little pinch of salt. One man's dead measurement is another man's studio repair.

Almost everything on every studio model will move around in either form, colour or markings. When you consider what these models were put through is it any wonder that there will be differences in data? I think there is credit to all parties to get as close as they do with the information they have to work with.

Build what you see on screen or at least use your own knowledge to check what others tell you. JW makes a strong argument with his drawings, I would be satisfied with them but if I were attempting the mother of all builds I would be drawing and studying frame by frame myself too. I am my own worse judge and over the years many a model has been put aside in my struggle for perfection. At some stage you have to say, that's as close as I can get or you would not make any progress. It's not an easy balance to get right but worth the effort.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

I agree however deviations are up to 0.50!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

content removed by poster

Last edited by Doug_H; 01-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
JWGoode
Geological Technician

I will refute the claim that my drawings are off by 1/2 inch. Specifically the width of the chassis from tread to tread. My drawings show this at 9". Doug insists this is supposed to be 9 1/2. Doug contacted me privately to ask if I was going to "correct" my drawings, based on other's past postings elsewhere on the forum. Doug also states that I myself "question the credentials of the individuals..." postings.... I have never nor ever would criticize any model builders here or elsewhere so don't put words in my mouth. "Credentials" also assume we are assigning some kind of pecking order on here. If anything it is pretty brash to "assume" my drawings are off, AND post that criticism in public without due process & facts to base it on.

The hard evidence is the method used years ago to determine the Mobile dimensions as used in my plans & is shown below. Using the known hard dimensions of the Scammel Transporter roof, the Tiger Joe Treads AND any of the other kitbashed parts in the physical possession of many of us on here for years, a grid in 1/4 inch increments was established & overlaid on the only non-screen capture direct view photographs of one of the three original studio miniatures. Some allowance was made for the miniscule perspective & lens distortion. Anyone can do this for themselves. It speaks for itself. An argument can be made for one or two millimeters this way or that, for simple margin of error's sake, but not an entire 1/2 inch.

In the end one can make it any way they choose of course BUT I stand by MY drawings & dimensions as accurate for anyone wishing to use them confidently as a guide to building their own Mobile.

Last edited by JWGoode; 01-10-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: additional info
JWGoode is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Mods please delete this thread. This is serving no purpose. Ill find my own data and show my items on another site

Last edited by Doug_H; 01-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
Andy2035
Geological Technician

Quote:

Quote:
Mods please delete this thread. This is serving no purpose. Ill find my own data and show my items on another site
So you accuse JW of saying something he hasn't, now you just want to wave your hand to make it go away, then post a sulking message saying your going to post your things else where, is this in case someone stands up for themselves again, shame on you Sir...

Andy...
Andy2035 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

It Looks like 9 inches to me too, thanks for posting the overlay image JW.

It is my understanding that a lot of care over a number of years went into the research for JW's plan set. His methodology in producing them was sound and in the absence of an original model they are probably as close as you will get.

Doug, if you are out there come back. This is a forum for debate where we try to help each other and listen to the insights of others adding to the overall enjoyment of the subjects we love.

In the end it's your model build it how you wish, no one can tell you what to do and I am sure that was never the intention here. With all the effort already made it would be a shame to walk away now.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

I refuse to discuss this point further, as commented it would serve no usable purpose except to inflame the discussion more. That is a useless pursuit.

I shall post an image of the completed item to share at the end of this activity.
No further communications will happen between now and then.

Doug.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Just to ask a question,i see Mr Goode does not have sprung suspension on his drawings,but on the show the tracks are seen to flex when driven over rough ground.
therefore are they 100% accurate?
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
stingray48442
Exile

now your nit picking the guy made a great effort who can realy say what the bottom looked like nobody realy knows how the susspension was done on the mobiles just asuming it was done as on the mole or spectrum tanker thats what is great about not knowing you decide how you want it done and it cant be wrong as long as it works
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
I refuse to discuss this point further, as commented it would serve no usable purpose except to inflame the discussion more. That is a useless pursuit.

I shall post an image of the completed item to share at the end of this activity.
No further communications will happen between now and then.

Doug.
Hi Doug,

Ok, I can respect that. Really looking forward to seeing the images of the finished model it's one of my favourite subjects.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwellcm View Post
Just to ask a question,i see Mr Goode does not have sprung suspension on his drawings,but on the show the tracks are seen to flex when driven over rough ground.
therefore are they 100% accurate?
It is very much more than likely that the suspension is sprung on foam rubber, cheap, reliable and effective. Looking at JW's plans he has included all the required detail to make a static model right off the drawing. As with all these things there will be a certain amount of license with compromises to increase functionality along the way. I would imagine this is true of the studio models too. Logical design is always second place to the action.

No one said this was easy, building a reasonable replica of the studio model will always be a tall mountain to climb. Personally I prefer to congratulate the builder on the effort and how close they came to get a good result than condemn a model because you see X, Y, Z "flaws". What you see is usually the end of a journey, a struggle to produce something. I find that journey as important as the end product because it tells me as much about the builder as the finished model. If there is a story to be told, this is where you will find it. I am always delighted to learn how another person has managed their project, clever techniques and a fresh approach may help solve problems on other projects, there is always something to learn.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

Well said Captain Sci-Fi. I too look forward to seeing this build finished.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

AHHHHHHHHHH.... I have 2 Faller kits and realized the are BOTH missing the same piece..the one that goes on the front of the Mobile. I hate to buy another one just for 1 piece.
Old 17-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
stingray48442
Exile

paul may have copies of that pice i have some also i just have to find the mold
Old 17-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Ack, I don't have that Faller kit at all, anyone have a spare or a cast of the part can help Doug out of a tight spot?
Old 17-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
stingray48442
Exile

doug give me your address i will find this pice and mail it out to you .i may start another mobile myself i have built several for others and never done one for me its about time i built for me im gonna get selfish and think of me me me for a change lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_3894.jpg (93.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 17-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

PM sent, let me know if you need any of the other pieces from the other kits. The only one im missing is the Tamiyas Long Tom