Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Default A Guide to accurate SS Control Mobile Utronics Dish

The accurate studio scale/ correctly built Control Mobile Utronics Dish Assembly
was started well over a decade ago as a companion piece to my SS Mobile prints & eventual replica hull, & the kits & placement had been identified.
It was thought at the time to wait for final construction in case molds were to be taken. But that idea is scrapped so I will share details for those who want to make one for themselves. A full set of blueprints is not nece as it’s almost too simple a structure. A drawing is included here anyway as a guide. (for this photo
Essay the parts have not been glued in place yet. Double stick tape & museum putty is visible sometimes).

You will need:
A 4”X 4” square 1/8 styrene plate for the base.
Some 1/16” styrene to fab the pylon & dish struts.
A 5 ½” or 6” plastic toilet ball float for the dish. – (known to be used for Thunderbirds Puppet Helmets, most likely origin for dish)

Some small acrylic storage boxes for the dish super structure bases. – (probably as good a solution if not the actual one)

Kit-Bash: the usual suspects:
Honest John
1/72 Superfortress
Tamiya Long Tom
Revell 1/48 Apollo Command
Revell Everything Is Go --- (the main antenna & mount inside the dish most
Recognizable)
Tillie the Toiler
Scissors Bridge

I have motorized mine to rotate at the correct RPM.
Tamiya makes a nice universal belt-driven pully/motor kit that works very well.
I will have mine painted & mounted on my version of the SS Control Mobile as
Built directly off my drawings & molded in fiberglass by David Merriman at a later date & will post pictures.
In the meantime for the rest of you I look forward to seeing some great Utronics Dishes out there so get cracking!

JWGoode is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
stingray48442
Exile

this is one i did several years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2871.jpg (95.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2872.jpg (94.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2873.jpg (94.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2870.jpg (95.6 KB, 44 views)
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Where's the sport in that? I would say if you supplied the kit bash I would---but then you're already more than half way so why not roll up your sleeves & dive in--you can do it! @ Stingray- Great job did you use a ball for the dish?
Old 26-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
stingray48442
Exile

i used a ball i layed resin cloth cut out in the shape of the dish waxed the ball put the cloth on it then brushed resin over it i put a few layers on till i got the thickness i wanted real easy if anyone wants one just email me

Last edited by stingray48442; 26-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
paul gray
Forum Supporter

thanks for sharing the info. i have all these kits so it's time to get digging out all the bits
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

JWGoode: Thank you for the info'. I will be sure to use that when I resume my 3d Shado Mobile. It got put to one side for personal reasons.
Becco_UK is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Great to see you here Becco, look forward to your outstanding work!
I don't want to divert this thread from the Utronics Dish, but to demonstrate how superb your work is & to further show my plans DO work, I took one of your Mobile 3D images (reversed to face the same way) & placed it next to the original studio model's photo. It speaks for itself!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i thought i had all these parts,but not the revell command parts. is the scale correct? i can only find 1/32 or 1/100. does anyone have any info on this kit please
cheers Paul

Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Paul it's the Revell 1/48th CSM kit #855090 AND we're in luck they've just RE-RELEASED it!

http://www.advantagehobby.com/188847...5090/?cat=1255

Also, the Renwal Atomic Cannon, which may not apply to our Mobiles but possibly something else Anderson, if any knows. Great kit if nothing else.
cheers,
John

Last edited by JWGoode; 07-11-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
paul gray
Forum Supporter

thanks for that John, unfortunately out of stock, but now i know what to look out for on ebay, a couple on at the moment ,but mega money
cheers Paul

Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
JWGoode
Geological Technician

It's out there, probably not in stock YET, as it was to be released this fall/winter.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/rmx/rmx855090.htm

or just to a general search on the web, it's there. A pity to spend that much on just the TWO small parts for the U-Dish that could be readily scratch fabricated.
Still, other bits were used elsewhere on UFO. The interstellar probe for one.
John
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
paul gray
Forum Supporter

you're right,they are simple pieces , i will make some
cheers Paul

Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
astrocat
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGoode View Post
Also, the Renwal Atomic Cannon, which may not apply to our Mobiles but possibly something else Anderson, if any knows. Great kit if nothing else.
cheers,
John
John,

The only place I've ever been able to find the Atomic Cannon parts used is on the Atlantica Control building in Captain Scarlet (I've marked the bits in red on the photo). It's almost as though they bought the kit just to use on that model!..... I'm sure parts from the kit must have found their way onto other miniatures.... I just haven't found them yet

It's a very impressive kit, although if it's an Atomic Cannon you're building I think the old Adams model is the better of the two IMHO.

The Revell re-issue I'm excited about is the Terracruzer. That's a kit I always wanted as a kid but never managed to get.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AtlanticaControlBits.jpg (72.2 KB, 76 views)
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Awesome info Astrocat! They actually just re-released the Renwall Atomic Cannon too, so I ordered one just for posterity.

The last thing we need for the Mobiles is the searchlight on the cabin top, looks alot like the VINTAGE RENWAL US ARMY HAWK GUIDED MISSILE SYSTEM kit check it out.
John

Last edited by JWGoode; 13-11-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
JWGoode
Geological Technician

Default Motorize the Dish

Don't throw away those Tiger Joe gear boxes!
With two common 1.5 V cells in any size the Tiger Joe gear box rotates at
a near perfect to perfect RPM for proper dish rotation. Coincidence? Maybe...
But why would the Meddings Modelers toss out a nice free-bee after they harvested the rest of the Tiger Joe for parts? I suspect they used this part for the dish & you can too.

You don't have to make such an elaborate structure but the gear box IS noisy. I've isolated it with rubber & used the same three-point mounting holes as provided, later I will insulate with foam to quiet it down further. Also, the "cage" frame opens up on one side allowing for a switch-out of the components should any mechanical failure occur.

I used the black pulley off the Tiger Joe turret as a handy interface between the Dish plate & motor shaft, as the shaft is a square drive.

One can also use the wheel gearbox or steering gearbox from the Johnny Express Truck with ONE 1.5 V cell, but they are much noisier than the Tiger Joe Gears. With some spray circuit cleaner/lube most Tiger Joe motors will come back to life, some simple teflon lube on the shafts & gears will also make them smooth & quieter.

To complete the Dish assembly, a simple manual switch or RC on/off signal switch can be incorporated for operation. More soon!

Last edited by JWGoode; 21-11-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typos

Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i am trying to build my own radar dish and have all the kits mentioned but i cant locate the small light green square ( as above with the 2 small tabs on it )from the everything is go kit.does anyone else have one of these kits and know the part number please as i cant seem to find it . any help appreciated
cheers Paul

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Sorry Paul,
I have had a look through the remains of the two kits I have (and the instructions) http://public.fotki.com/44eagle/kit-.../revell/atlas/ and cant see it, however I will have look through my spares box tomorrow and let you know.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
paul gray
Forum Supporter

perhaps this part has been mislabeled and is from one of the other kits. the colour of the plastic makes me think it's not from the everything is go kit and perhaps one of the army kits. thanks for the input Rab. i will go through all my kit boxes later today, just off to the Harry Potter studio tour
cheers Paul

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i have been through all my kit boxes and cant find this bit in any of them,so any help would be appreciated. for anyone who's a Harry Potter fan i can highly recommend the studio tour ,i had a great day there yesterday.
cheers Paul

Old 27-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
paul gray
Forum Supporter

just thought i would share with you how my effort has turned out. just needs a bit of paint . thanks to JW for sharing your info
cheers Paul