Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Default U59 Explosives Truck (Build), Joe 90

I started this U59 Explosives Truck ages ago but it got 'put to one side' when Linda, my wife became ill. Sadly she died earlier this year. I've lost much interest in 3D and real world modelling but she enjoyed seeing how the U59 was being built and would often give a lending hand.

I discovered the U59 when sorting through a few things this morning and decided to see if I'm up to resuming this project. No promises it will get finished but I will do my best.

I dedicate this thread to Linda.
Becco_UK is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

I will re-post some earlier images, as much to remind me of what I was doing as well as showing others how my U59 came about.

There are U59 plans somewhere in this forum that I used. In 3D software these were resized to fit with known real part size. 3D software proved very useful - it enabled me to get dimensions of the U59's panels and help with parts positioning. I also ended up with an almost finished 3D U59. A 3D U59 wheel was made in 3D using a real Johnny Express one to measure from.

Last edited by Becco_UK; 17-11-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

2mm and 3mm acrylic forms the main U59 structure.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Real parts were replicated in 3D and the position of those on my 3D U59 was transferred to the real model. Much better to make mistakes in 3D - easier to correct before committing to cutting and fixing real parts!

Last edited by Becco_UK; 17-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

I didn't make the side panels from one peice of acrylic because doing so would have made the curves of the cab's front very difficult to get correct. Looking at screen grabs of the original U59 suggests that the front sections are different parts.

Old 17-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

This looks like it going to be a FAB build I hope you find the strength to continue with it, after what must have been a very difficult year for you-my deepest sympathy.

Wayne
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Are your materials laser cut? if so, you could make multiples and sell kits I'd deffinatly be up for one. Always loved this model
Old 17-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Back in my 3D software the front of the virtual U59 was made.
Old 17-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

VBlue Moon : Thank you for your kind words. I'm old fashioned and all the parts of my U59 have been made by hand so far. As I was making them I remember making sketches and drawings of the acrylic parts so in time I may tidy them up and make them available (no promises).

Last edited by Becco_UK; 17-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

That would be fantastic

I too work the 'old fashioned way' which makes it's difficult to make more than one model at once, but it is very satisfying to model with no automation.

Old 17-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

A framework of 2mm acrylic was added to the front of the U59.

Prints of the front curves (@ size as the 3D model) were glued to some thin plastic.

The shaped thin plastic was fixed into place. Then automotive body repair mesh was used to provide a base for some auto' filler.

Auto' filler applied and another thin peice of plastic glued to the first upper curve (look at the real U59 and you should see that the outer upper sides of the cab are not formed from just one part.

That will do for now - more images to follow soon.

Last edited by Becco_UK; 17-11-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

The front upper of the U59 was made from a few peices of 2mm acrylic with auto' filler used to for the curve.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

A front panel made from some plastic sheet with the airfix parts and lego bricks :-) added.

Panel held in place with tape just to see how it looked.

A 3D assembly for the front lights 'box' was made. The real part still needs to be finished when some acrylic glue arrives (the bottle I put to one side evaporated away) so a photo of that part when it's done.

Last edited by Becco_UK; 17-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

The correct rear light lens' are so hard to find and these are the closest I have managed to get. Their overall dimensions are correct and I'm hoping they will look ok when some Tamiya clear red is put on them.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Hi John,
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences go out to you and your family.
It must be tough to get back to mere "toys" afterwards. This build was a favorite of mine, and I'll be glad to see it continued. I'm sure Linda will be smiling down on you as well.
Best, Jeff
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Interceptor6: Thank you. If I only finish one model, and no matter how much saddness it brings, it just has to be this one.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

The images I've posted so far are more or less how far I got with the U59. I did start making one of the U59's distinctive wheels to cast in resin but after seeing it today it didn't look so good as I thought it was in 2009. So I'm going to start anew with the wheels.

I've read before that Johnny Express wheels dont come apart - they do if cuts are made in the right place. So that will be my starting place tomorrow and this time around no other work on the U59 until the wheels are ready to be cast. Let's see if I can mess another two Johnny Express wheels up :-)
Old 17-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Should have mentioned earlier: If anyone is about to start hacking JE wheels then you only have to saw where indicated a few millimeters deep. The wheel parts then slide apart. It's as though the centre ribbed centre section is just bonded to the wheel outers. Wait for the photo's in the morning to see what I mean.

I've only just cut a couple of wheels but I'm going to clean the parts before photographing.
Old 17-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

Becco, let me first offer my condolences on your loss. I remember seeing your renderings months ago when I did a search for the Explosive Truck. It's nice to see this build continuing. Great work so far, I love step by step build threads and this one will be fun to watch. If you ever decide to offer measured drawing, I would also be very interest. I hope to build my own version one day. I unknowingly bought every donor kit when I was looking for Moon Bus parts. I didn't realize that they were used on virtually every Anderson model. I also have a wheel so I may as well build one. Good luck.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #20
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

joeb: Thank you for your kind words - they mean a lot during this difficult time.

The drawings in the Explosives Truck reference thread have a good accuracy for the body. The cab is a little stretched - my Explosives truck has a slightly longer cab than the real studio model. I am leaving as it was though because visitors to my home have never said the cab area looks too long.

I'm using two Johnny Express wheels to to make one explosives truck wheel - I have seen them made with one JE wheel so I suppose it comes down to personal preference and how many JE wheels people have available to chop up.