Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Default Martin Bower's Dreadnought (and my Ranger 5)

Hello all. I'm finally getting around to posting some shots of a model that Martin Bower built for me called the Dreadnought. This brings to five the number of Bower models currently in my possession but this one is definitely the most impressive piece in my collection. It's been sitting on one of my workbenches until I can decide what kind of display base to make for it. I know that for many of you, having a replica Eagle is a big deal (and it is!), but for me a massive original model by Martin Bower is pretty cool, as it was his work in Space:1999 that really got me thinking about a career in modelmaking. As far as the model goes, it measures in at 45 inches in length and 20 inches wide. The front section is detachable and Martin even made some landing struts for it if I choose to show it "on the ground." Of course, my biggest concern (after paying for it!) was shipping, but amazingly the Dreadnought survived the Trans-Atlantic journey without a single piece having broken off. Anyway, here are some pictures...

And while I'm at it, I thought I'd show you some shots of an original design of mine called Ranger 5. Originally built in 2003, this particular model was recently refurbished as it suffered some damage in an art gallery exhibit a few years back. I saw this as an opportunity to change a few things that had nagged at me as well as to give it a new paint job and graphics. The engine bells are courtesy of Paul Gray's machinist. Hope you like them...

BP
B.P. Taylor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

love the detail, exellent work, landing gears look ace ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
healvis
Communications Officer

Wow, what a pair of fantastic looking ships. I like the Ranger better though.
Thanks BP.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Oh man! Those are excellent!!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

I like the Dreadnought but I love the Ranger 5. The design, construction and paint job are all first rate. I'm confused as to who built the Ranger though, was it you or Martin Bower.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Sorry about the confusion. The Dreadnought was built by Martin, while I built the Ranger 5. I probably should have also included some shots of the underside of the Dreadnought to show how incredibly detailed it is. The only problem is it's way too big to fly around!

BP
Old 22-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Loooove these models, can't decide which I like best! Love the colour of your Ranger, although can't help thinking how '1999 like' it would look in white, especially with that eagle inspired nose
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.P. Taylor View Post
. . . . . . . . The only problem is it's way too big to fly around!

BP
I bet you have tried it though I know for a fact, i would have

If you manage any more photos, please post them
Old 22-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Two fantastic models P.B.! Design wise I prefer your Ranger 5. It somehow gives you a scale when you see those windows. Oh, and looking at the Dreadnought, I should have kept this broken hand vacuum cleaner, I threw away some weeks ago...

...ah, so many models, so little time...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

BP, I forgot to ask, does the front of the Ranger separate?. It looks like it should.

Joe

Old 22-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Joe- - funny you should ask that. As a matter of fact, the front section did indeed separate in its previous incarnation but I decided to glue it on permanently (JB Weld) when I got around to re-doing it. Now I don't have to worry about snapping off the retaining clamps, which admittedly were not terribly stout. If I can manage to find the time, I'd love to photograph it on an alien landscape with the landing spotlights turned on. One of these days...

BP
Old 23-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

On that point, B.P., is it safe to say the Dreadnought may have been designed to separate into three parts? It certainly has that look about it.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Sorry, only the front section separates. Incidently, Martin said that when designing it, he was thinking of how the Nostromo detached from the refinery in Alien. The model itself isn't nearly as heavy as it looks, though it's solidly built with the basic forms being fabricated with plexiglas bulkheads and ABS sheet, as well as the vacuum cleaner parts Transporter mentioned. By the way, do any of you have any suggestions as to how I might display this? I've got a couple of ideas, but I'd be interested in hearing what you guys would do.

BP
Old 24-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Didn't you have Ranger 5 at Wonderfest one year? I seem to recall seeing it at either the 2000 or 2001 show (and as I recall it WAS white back then). I like the blue color. White is cool for spacecraft, but eventually it gets tiring when all spacecraft are white. As such, a splash of color is nice every now and then.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Good memory Jay! Wish I could say the same for mine. You were pretty close with the year the Ranger was at Wonderfest too (I had to go back and check myself). Like you, I prefer the overall blue color (one of my favorites- -Pantone 5405) over the prior light grey color scheme. I was greatly influenced by some of artist Peter Elson's work (specifically the Terran Trade Authority books) when I was re-doing this model and I'm much happier with the way it looks now. Hope to see you again at Wonderfest in May. By the way, I really liked your Moonraker stack.

BP

Old 24-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

I have three of the TTA books and I can definitely see the influence on the Ranger. You captured the look beautifully. What kind of decals did you use by the way? Would you consider posting a how-to on painting? That is one of my weakest skills and any advice would be useful.

Joe
Old 24-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #17
healvis
Communications Officer

BP, I personally think a hanger diorama would be be fantastic. 3 walls packed with equipment on a base about the size of the table it is on. The base you are using at the moment looks far to small. We need more photo's....please.
John.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.P. Taylor View Post
Good memory Jay! Wish I could say the same for mine. You were pretty close with the year the Ranger was at Wonderfest too (I had to go back and check myself). Like you, I prefer the overall blue color (one of my favorites- -Pantone 5405) over the prior light grey color scheme. I was greatly influenced by some of artist Peter Elson's work (specifically the Terran Trade Authority books) when I was re-doing this model and I'm much happier with the way it looks now. Hope to see you again at Wonderfest in May. By the way, I really liked your Moonraker stack.

BP
Thanks BP. That means a lot. I just wished the WF judges liked the Moonraker stack better (merit, yeah right). At least I got the last laugh with a 3rd at IPMS Nationals with it.

I don't entirely know what I'll have at WF this year that would be Anderson related, although I do have a pair of Airfix Angel Interceptors coming and I fancy making a Joe 90 MiG with one of them (kitbashing it with a 1/144 F-111 kit).

So how DID you get Martin Bower to build a model for you anyway? BTW, I'll have to go digging around my photo CDs to see if I have any pictures of the white Ranger 5 from WF (what year was it?). I was always amazed by these big builds of yours and this and the 2001 Discovery inspired interplanetary craft you did were two of the more memorable ones.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

The Ranger 5 is just the sort of model that piques my interest, love it. It's a very strong design too.

Martin's skills are amazing, both in concept and execution. He certainly hit the standard with the Dreadnought.

Thanks for sharing
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
EddieL
Computer Technician

Martin clearly hasn't lost his touch. Very impressive work.
The front section looks a little Star Trek to me, while the angled parts make me think of Stargate. The colour scheme is a little puzzling but still well done.

Your Ranger 5 is fantastic. Excellent work with great attention to interesting details. Kudos.

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote