Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

Default I wish Airfix produce more Gerry Anderson model kits?

With the release of the classic Captain Scarlet Angle Interceptor, I wish Airfix would release more/new kits from Gerry Anderson programmes am not talking about re bagged kits from Imai.
Would love to see proper kits with the same level of detail that Tamya tank modellers currently enjoy.
Well ya can only dream!
Swine Flu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
ScottTracy
Travel Tube Technician

I quite agree, Airfix should release new kits, like the Spectrum Helecopter or Firefly from Thunderbirds etc.

But I quite agree with you
ScottTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

It amazing that when you go into a model shop (if you can still find one!) that there's at least 15 different types of Spitfire kits.
I keep having a recurring dream that am looking around a model shop & on the shelves there's a Thunderbird 2 kit, I turn, there's a U.F.O. mobile, look over there is that a 1/48 S.I.D.?
Then I wake myself up as it's too good to be true!
Old 15-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Scrimber
Medical Technician

Tried finding any Interceptors ???
Scrimber is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
ScottTracy
Travel Tube Technician

Well, airfix sujested it on their facebook page and i placed my vote on all ufo and space 1999 sugestions, like they had the Lunar module and carrier, interceptor, Eagle etc. So its possible Airfix will make an interceptor, I jolly well hope so.

Old 16-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
raaoc
Alphan

Default airfix release of eagle and hawk kits

A friend of mine is a keen NASA space program modeller and was very happy when Airfix released all there space kits again, he lives here in Australia but came from LUTON (hope I got the spelling right), he was talking to a cousin in England and he told me that there was a good chance that they might be rereleasing the kits as it is cheaper to reissue old kit with new box art than tool up for an new kit, especielly if that old kit is in high demand and has not been released for a long time. So hope it is true, i will be keeping my fingers crossed and wishing it will happen.
raaoc is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

I think if Airfix release their Eagle again it should be retooled so to have a separate frame work & not just filled in as on the original kit.
also I think because they've released the Angel they should complete the line up with a 1/72 SPV,SPC,MSV,Helicopter & passenger jet then move onto the other series
Again I stress that these kits should not be 'toys' don't want no firing missiles or big wheels run off a 103 motor never supplied with the kit!

Last edited by Swine Flu; 16-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
raaoc
Alphan

yes I hope that they follow Monograms lead as they did when they rereleased there batttlestar galactica kits, they ommited the toy firing misslies from there viper & cylon raider kits, gave the viper a full cockpit with colonial pilot and clear parts to light up the engins and for the cylon raider they gave you clear parts for the engins. here is my cylon raider with the engins lit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (156.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (186.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (200.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (200.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 16-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Airfix should consider to produce a 1/48 scale model kits of the
Angel Interceptor,the Angel White Falcon Interceptor,Sky 1 and
the SHADO Moonbase Interceptor as well as Thunderbird 4.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
raaoc
Alphan

i have never seen the captain Scarlet series but i saw the angel Interceptor kit on ebay and was highly impressed with it, the look of it is really cool, and i will probably get one just because it looks awsome, will have to get the series and watch it to see if there are other cool looking ships and hope airfix does them as well

Old 17-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
ScottTracy
Travel Tube Technician

Indeed, you should watch the sereis of Captain Scarlet, when I was 7 I loved it. And there are other cool aircraft, Vehicles, subs etc. in that series
Old 17-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Angelo
Life Support Technician

I think the main stumbling block is the licensing fees.
The owners of the rights charge silly money to have the right to produce these things and model companies are scared off by it.
When Gerry Anderson's shows were at their height, we had only a handful of kits, in the UK.
Airfix did the Angel, and supposedly Stingray, but they never did anything from Thunderbirds, the most popular of all the series.
Toys are the big money maker in this area, with the models left to the die hard fans to either scratch build, or release as limited run and usualy expensive garage kits.
Angelo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
raaoc
Alphan

I was down at my local toy collector shop paying off my AVATAR Bust's, I decided to look around and saw this really cool looking tank command vehicle from UFO, it was nicely detailed and came in the same kind of box as my space 1999 eagle, I'm thinking of getting it as it looks awsome and is quite reasonably priced at $59.AUD, I have just recently finished my 1/4 scale stormtrooper, I like all types of sci-fi and am not given to any particular one as i think they all offer some thing different which is good in my opinion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 023.jpg (121.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 021.jpg (120.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 022.jpg (134.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by raaoc; 18-02-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 18-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

well, if licensing fees were a problem then we wouldn't of had the Airfix Angel Interceptor would we?
Old 18-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
raaoc
Alphan

Looking at all the late releases from Airfix like there 1/48 scale TSR72 and there release of the Canberra bomber family in 1/48 scale (who would of thought of them doing that) It would be nice for them to tool up for a 1/48 scale angel as they originally did the TRS72 in 1/72 scale then came out with the 1/48 scale version, and it aint no small plane in that scale trust me a mate of mine built one and boy is it impressive in 1/48 scale, so it all comes down to demand inthe market, let's just hope that there is enough of us out there that want it but in the modelling industry military will always win out over Sci-Fi as there is always a bigger demand for it, just go to local modelling contest and have a look at the ratio of military verses Sci-fi, i go to our annual one here in Adelaide and the Sci-Fi contingent is tiny compared with the miliatry guy's, it suck but a stupid Panther or Tiger tank will sell hunderds compared to nice Angel or a Eagle

Old 18-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Angelo
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Flu View Post
well, if licensing fees were a problem then we wouldn't of had the Airfix Angel Interceptor would we?
Airfix paid a one off fee for the the Angel back when it was first produced.
Now days even aircraft companies, like Boeing, get a cut of the money for any model from their company, even if its a P-36 from the thirties.
The licensing fees today are like royalties on music or a book, they get a percentage of all sales.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
raaoc
Alphan

I agree with you Angelo, I also collect AVATAR, I was extremely keen to get hold of the models from the movie, but none were released, I finaly found the kits on athe fantasticplastic web site, although they give the name of the ship C_21 Dragon gun ship, AT_99 Scorpion at no stage dose the name AVATAR get printed on the box, this is how some company's get away from the licencing fee's. Fantastic did this years ago with STAR WARS ships but when LUCAS found out they where made to stop prodution as Lucas had the Pattern on the ship's. He does not mind people sctratch building them but not mass marketing them as fantastic did and paying no royalties to him, unfortunately this is the industry today when profits come first and the fans come second, but ask yourself this, if it were not for the fans going to see the movies, buy the DVD"S of the television series,and then the associated toy's and models were would they get there money, surely if they reduced there royalty fees alot more would be produced and the fans would buy more and in the long run the componies would make more money. seems a pretty simple solution to me but who said major companies see the obvious, I work for General Motors here in Australia one of the biggest car manufacturers in Australia, and have seen them do some pretty stupid things were they can make alot of money but they don't, they only look at the short term gain, QUICK CASH, not the long term that would make the buyer happy and keep them coming back.

Last edited by raaoc; 18-02-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 19-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Angelo
Life Support Technician

Fine Molds' Millenium Falcon 1/72nd scale is £229.25 in the UK.
It is a lovely model, no argument, though I know some purists argue over the shape of the hull, but £229.25!
It is not worth that. The price is so high due to the licensing fees Fine Molds has to pay.
I would love to see mainstream model companies such as Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc produce more Science Fiction, but when you think what the licensing fees will add to the cost of the kit, its scary.
Hasegawa's 1/72 Boeing F/A-18E is £30. Its alot of money
for a model about 6" long, and thats because Boeing want paying for the use of their product.
When you think how much money companies like Lucas Film has made, with all the re-releases, DVDs Blu Ray, 3D re-releases, they still hammer the fans.
I stopped collecting Star Wars models and other such items because its just too expensive, I prefer to scratch build.
Old 19-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
raaoc
Alphan

I agree withyou Angelo, I think the licencing fees are driving alot of would be manufacturers away, the finemolds falcon retails in Australia for nearly $400 AUD, I have the old ERTL/AMT kit release and brought a update set for it from starship modeler, all up with kit and conversion it cast about $190 AUD, still up there but alot cheaper, but yes these royalty's and licencing fee's are doing more harm than good in our hobby
Old 19-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Hi.. Angelo and raac...

I can“t agree more in what you are saying (writing..)...

I have also purchased several Fine molds over the past years and yes they were to expensive..

All these fee“s and licenses are too restrictive and expensive for model company“s and in the end it smack“s us modeller“s in the butt....

Well ex. in this weekend the fuelprices in Denmark went up to £1.50 for 1 Liter of unleaded...

I mean it“s crazy, not that I want to start a debat but it seems like today you have to pay for your life in fee“s, tax just too keep the wheels turning...
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote