Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #81
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I've been rewriting parts of the story and gathering design inspiration for key models, but I have started painting the monitor station from the comic.

I sprayed the model black and then a light overspray with Tamiya Imperial Japanese Navy grey. Around the base of the dish I added a chequered decal to give it a Supermarionation vibe

I still have some detail painting and other markings to add before I weather it and fix it to a base for incorporating into photos for the comic.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #82
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I did ask my Dad about the chroming, by the way. He said the layer of copper was the expensive, high-quality option for chroming plastic.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #83
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

It sounds excessive for a radio control Dalek though...

I suppose at least it means the Daleks and saucers which are covered in that will last until doomsday
Old 19-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #84
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Since the human technology of this project is based on Fireball XL5 and Dan Dare, I decided that Dalek technology should be rather different. I was going to attempt a Mysteron look, but the price of clear parts is silly, so I decided to go more along the Ron Turner end of the spectrum.

This is a stand-alone console which can be either in the saucer, or outside controlling the planet-killing weapon system the Daleks are testing. It is very basic so far, but will be dressed with instruments, panels and a small screen.

It is made from two Konami model display bases and two Konami aircraft stands. It rests on two Lego parts which make great retro-future legs. The white surface is Plasticard. Control panels on the flat areas will also be Plasticard, dressed with assorted greebles.

The comic will also require the use of false perspective to create the illusion of distance... but where could I get small film Daleks? Then I remembered my film Dalek Rolykin bought in the 90s/early 00s, can't remember exactly. Anyway, it's the perfect choice. All I need to do is cast a few copies and hey-presto I will be able to cheat the camera. Hey, it worked for Derek Meddings

Oh, and the actual style of Dalek in the comic will be this:

The lights are resin castings. The claw is made from Plastruct strip and rod and will be copied and cast for the Daleks to use. The bumper will also be copied.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #85
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I don't know what size the rolykins daleks are, but have you considered the daleks from the Denys Fisher game? They're about 6cm in height.

Furthermore, don't forget the old BBC/Brian Johnson trick of taking photos, and making cutouts of them. Just as long as you don't blow them up from the side on the launch pad.

Old 20-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #86
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The Rolykin is around 45mm tall, so perfect for distance and false perspective. The Daleks you mention Steve, are they from the "War of the Daleks" game?

Hadn't thought of the cutouts

One thing I think would work is subtituting my own hands for close-ups: holding a ray gun for example
Old 21-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #87
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
The Daleks you mention Steve, are they from the "War of the Daleks" game?
This one?

Yes.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #88
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Steve... I had that game! Trouble is the Daleks within the game are just... weird looking, to put it kindly

Thanks to Interceptor6 I now have some more Konami bases to use as consoles, so the Daleks can start to get some serious equipment made for them now.

Love this place!
Old 18-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #89
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

I cannot believe I have only just discovered this maxing thread!!!
Pure genius at work and I love the design style and the whole comic concept.
I've subscribed, rated it a five, and am looking forward to the next update!
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #90
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Sorry been letting this slide, but I was waiting on a 3D print of my TV21 Dalek design so I could take this comic in a new direction. Rather than using TV or film style Daleks to tell a TV21 style story, now I have the chance to do this my preferred way.

A mate on another Dalek-based forum (Exterminator will know what I mean, heh) printed me a physical model of my CGI wireframe model... and this is the result. Excuse the poor pic but my camera is packed for my holiday.

It stands 6" tall and is very very light. As the model is basically made from a continuous string of... whatever that stuff is, there is a ribbed texture to it. With thick primer and some sanding I should be able to make it nice and smooth.
The idea is to mould these parts so I can make castings and produce half a dozen copies. I still need to add things like lights from LEDs and the appendages, which need to be scratchbuilt, but I don't mind that.

Since there has been a slight change of scale I now need to look at different action figures for my hero, but I have a couple in mind. The set props I have built so far will work just as well in the new scale, so no need to rebuild them.

So, after the holiday I will tidy the Dalek up, make some moulds and see what happens after that.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #91
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

I'm hearing a lot about 3D printing, can anyone give a tutorial, pros, cons, costs, I'm sure there would be interest.

Nice Dalek by the way.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #92
headcase
Astrophysics Technician

This is FABULOUS! I LOVE watching a person scratch build.
headcase is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #93
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

I agree, lovely considered design and execution, very much looking forward to the finished result, but enjoying the journey. Have you seen Gmart's thread, I think the two of you have a lot in common.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #94
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Sorry I haven't updated this thread of late... the Turner Dalek will take some considerable time to prep for mould-making, and will probably start that next month when the evenings are starting to get lighter... the dark evenings after work are just depressing.
Old 19-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #95
malory
Alphan

Loving this thread. Will there be any human characters appearing and if so how are you going to realise them..?
malory is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #96
enggmodels
Alphan

Default looking for miniature model makers?

Nice work...Scale Model Makers are the perfectionist who create miniature model of almost anything keeping all the necessary detail intact and appealing in terms of aesthetics. for more info about miniature models do visit our site enggmodels
enggmodels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote