Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Default 50" Eagle Scratch Build (PIC HEAVY!)

well, here is the start of my 50" Eagle build....

Before anyone shouts it out, I know that the largest studio Eagle was just under 44 inches, but after a lot of research, I found that a 50 inch Eagle would be a better option for me on many levels. Firstly, at 50 inches, all the dimensions transform beautifully into their metric equivalents, which allows me to use cheaper materials, such as wooden dowel for the spine etc.. Secondly, I can't ever remember ANYONE having a 50 inch Eagle so, that makes it the biggest to my knowledge. Please correct me if you know better hehehe!
Thirdly, I already started my build and it is bigger than it should have been...ahem........
The first two points here, I feel, are still VERY valid reasons to upscale, so I am going to stick to my guns on this one.

OK, I identified pretty early on, that there are two parts to this build , that would prove to be the most difficult to acomplish: the construction of the command moule, and of the 'spine' which runs down the length of the Eagle. The Command Module doesn't have a single solitary straight line on it and the spine has to be built cheaply but still be strong and durable. Of these two, I chose to start on the command Module as, I believe it to be the most difficult part of the build - I am ALL for getting the worst bits done first!

COMMAND MODULE

I started by drawing out the three 2D images necessary to create a 3D form: Plan, Side elevation and (in my case)rear elevation. I then transferred these images to card, cut them out and glued them together...

I have had to cut and glue the extra pieces onto the flat white area to support the 'cutaway' window appertures.

these appertures will structurally support the rest of the command module shell so they have to be sturdy in their construction.

The next stage was to start the ribbing, which allows me to form surfaces that curve left to right as well as front to back. Once completed, these ribs will receive two layers of papier mache, and a coat of resin, before i apply a thin coat of bondo to smooth it out. The detailing will then be fixed to the smoothed out bondo.
Here are some shots of the ribbing as it progresses.

Those untrimmed ribs really make me think of a huge carcass! It certainly has a very organic feel about it!

The ribbing for the point of the nose may not look too pretty but when it is covered, no-one will see it!

The bottom centre section is also now ribbed and That just leaves the arc behind the windows, on the under section to do.
I hope that you enjoyed this first installment and that you will all leave a comment to encourage me. I will post again as soon as I have an update and in the meantime here are a couple of shots to leave you with.
Bye for now and thanks for looking in!

Last edited by Darren Robertson; 05-03-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

Very interesting construction method, I like it. Good luck with this and I look forward to following it.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Thnks Joeb! I look forward to your comments and critiques, should you feel so inclined.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Very awesome!! ,I admire your "out of the box thinking" on the scale, and it looks like you have the skills to do it just right . 50" will be impressive to say the least. Your build up reminds me of a full scale Lamborghini body that I once built from scratch using simulal techniques and fiberglassed....If someone ever builds a 1:1 eagle replica I hope you will be on the team looking forward to seeing more.
eagleharbor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

You are onto a real winner, I like it.

I always imagine this is how an Eagle is built at the factory, all airframe ribs and skin panels, nice work.

There are several 88" models, it is a natural temptation to double scale. A 44" model is a monster to display as it is. Anything bigger is totally impractical for me to consider, having said that I love to see them being built and finished.

Model making is about being creative and working with what you have sometimes, you have definitely crossed the boundary between Eagle engineering and making Eagle artwork. This is wonderfully creative and I am really looking forward to seeing more.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Hi Darren...

It looks awesome... nice craftmanship...

As Captīn said, it really looks like how they would put it it together in a factory...

Good job...
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleharbor View Post
Very awesome!! ,I admire your "out of the box thinking" on the scale, and it looks like you have the skills to do it just right . 50" will be impressive to say the least. Your build up reminds me of a full scale Lamborghini body that I once built from scratch using simulal techniques and fiberglassed....If someone ever builds a 1:1 eagle replica I hope you will be on the team looking forward to seeing more.
I always said that if I dropped Ģ150 Million on the Euro lottery, I would do just that, and build a full size 103 footer, with all the interiors etc. Maybe even put in the moon buggies....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
You are onto a real winner, I like it.

I always imagine this is how an Eagle is built at the factory, all airframe ribs and skin panels, nice work.

There are several 88" models, it is a natural temptation to double scale. A 44" model is a monster to display as it is. Anything bigger is totally impractical for me to consider, having said that I love to see them being built and finished.

Model making is about being creative and working with what you have sometimes, you have definitely crossed the boundary between Eagle engineering and making Eagle artwork. This is wonderfully creative and I am really looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you Captain! I just wanted to try an original way of building one, and I hope that I am achieving at lest that I totally hear what you are saying about the factory imagery....with the ribbing uncut, I could easily imagine an Eagle graveyard full of decaying, discarded Eagles showing their rib cages :
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADsen View Post
Hi Darren...

It looks awesome... nice craftmanship...

As Captīn said, it really looks like how they would put it it together in a factory...

Good job...
Thanks MADsen. I appreciate the comments, not only here but on the other thread, too.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
captain_Ed
Medical Technician

This is great stuff! I like off the wall ways of doing things. I did try a similar technique 25 years ago with a thunderbird 2 but the lattice work wasn't fine enough and it all sagged, so I gave up. This is much more impressive! I look forward to seeing how it progresses!
captain_Ed is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_Ed View Post
This is great stuff! I like off the wall ways of doing things. I did try a similar technique 25 years ago with a thunderbird 2 but the lattice work wasn't fine enough and it all sagged, so I gave up. This is much more impressive! I look forward to seeing how it progresses!
Thank you, Captain Ed! I am glad that you like it so far...

Last edited by Darren Robertson; 06-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Guys!
Thanks for your patience on this one. I appreciate it very much.
Ok, so I have managed to finish the ribbing on the front end and I am really pleased with the result. They are evenly spaced and all follow a uniformed curve line, which will make it easier to layer with papier mache.

I then started construction of the back half of the command module. I took a leaf out of LMFAOSchwarz's book here and used a slightly different approach, as suggested by him. Here's how it looked...

The ribbing then went over this, as per the front half...

So, next was the Papier Mache. When doing this, I always cut my newspaper into strips about 4 or 5 cm long and about 1cm wide. (2"x1" approximately) I use the same PVA wood glue that I use during the rest of the construction, but I add 50% water. I tend to do a small area and then hit it with a hair dryer to dry it out really quickly. Then I can concentrate on the next area without having to worry about disturbing what I have already done.

This is where the thin little strips come into their own. They lie flat, even on a sharp curve that bends both ways..

The result is better than I would have hoped for. Normally, it gets left to the filler to do most of the the work in getting an even surface, but here, its looking reasonably smooth. Some bumps and dips obviously, but on the whole, pretty good.

The next stage was to smack coat of household filler over the dry papier mache and when that dries, rub it down to really start to knock it into shape. Tomorrow's weather permitting, I will get a coat primer on and then a layer of car body filler/bondo on top of that. I made a start on the preliminary filler coat, and I will finish it tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics to finish off this installment with, and to show you how she looks with a nice smooth(ish) white surface. Not sanded yet, obviously.

I hope you enjoyed this update on my Eagle Transporter build progress. I will post again soon!

By the way, total outlay so far =Ģ0/$0 That's my kind of price!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical that your technique would work but obviously I was wrong. That looks really good. I can't wait to see how you make the shoulder and passenger pods

Joe
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Hi.. Darren

Itīs getting better and better every time you come up with an update.. Good job...
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Guys!

Joe, I dont even know how I am going to finish the CM!
I am working to pictures on the Google search forum and working measurements out from them. I am not using blueprints, just a ruler and a good eye... If you have any suggestions, I am all ears!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

08/03/12

Hi all! Well I managed to get a coat of resin on and about all the car body filler I intend putting on this shell. The results are a bit messy at the moment as, I have not had a chance to sand it out as yet. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow.It will be pretty even by then. Any last imperfections will be addressed using the polyfiller I mentioned before. It is water based, odourless and does exactly the same job as the red sanding putty stuff you guys use, but it costs pennies for a huge tub!

Here is how she is shaping up. Parts of the shell have received a cursory sanding and that allows you to see that the whole Command module is now really getting there!

I am really starting to get a buzz about this project now and I cannot wait to start on the panel details. I think I will be cutting the shell apart when it is finished and installing the cockpit interior.

We will see if that proves to be feasible at the time!
Thanks for looking in and I will post again soon.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

I see lots of sanding in your future. It should look great though when you're finished. Since you asked for suggestion about blueprints; I highly recommend Daniel Prud'homme's. That's what I used.

Joe

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
shornak
Medical Technician

Wow these pictures look great. I can't wait to see your updates.
shornak is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I see lots of sanding in your future. It should look great though when you're finished. Since you asked for suggestion about blueprints; I highly recommend Daniel Prud'homme's. That's what I used.

Joe
They are THE definitive set
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks, Joe
I managed to get hold of a set for Eagle two by DPDH. This build is getting weirder and weirder. I have now managed to calculate the exact size of my Eagle and it comes in at 51 3/4 inches. By my reckoning, that is almost bang on the money for a 3 3/4 inch action figure. i will just get a couple off of Ebay @99p and customise them.

Many thanks, Shornak. I'll get another update for you tomorrow, all being well

Last edited by Darren Robertson; 08-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

Looking good! Great progress!
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

very interesting build, love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote