Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Bandai Movie Thunderbirds kits

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon, but has anyone actually built any of the Bandai model kits from the disastrous live action Thunderbirds film?
I've ordered the 1/200 TB1 and 1/450 TB2 to see what they're like, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a go?

Hey come on... we all have a dark side
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I'll post photos of the snap-together build-ups later, but here are my views on these kits.

Bandai have gone all out as far as detail goes, but lose several million points for the size - TB2 is only around 4" long, while TB1 is around 5.5". As a result TB1 looks to be the better model, with TB2 just looking small and insignificant. Even the Konami tiddler looks more substantial.

The parts are very well engineered with everything on multicoloured runners, a Japanese trait for their SF models... well, their Mecha anyway.
TB1 has optional landing gear (which makes the craft very aeroplane-like on the ground), while TB2 has drop down pod sections and optional legs (which look even more insane in this scale).

TB1 goes together like a dream, and is actually a very nice model. Although there is no cockpit detail it has clear canopy parts. The gear doors open and close and the wings can be positioned, as can the rear-side engine nozzles.
This one I will finish properly, although I'll need to replace the stickers with decals - IN THE RIGHT COLOUR! On the CGI model the legend "Thunderbird" is in red, while the model has it in white. The CGI version also has small red "1"s on the lower rising sections of the main body, whereas the kit has it at the end of the "Thunderbird" legend.
As a model kit of the movie TB1 it can't really be faulted - except for size. I 1/100 or 1/72 version would have been better.
As a bonus there is a small 4-part TB1 to 1/450 scale, same as TB2.

Ah, TB2... what a disappointment. Yes it is beautifully detailed, yes it matches the on-screen version... and even has glazed cockpit windows but it's too small. It also comes with a scale Mole.
Seriously unless you are into desktop models or micro-dioramas this isn't much use.

As mentioned earlier the markings on these kits are matt finish stickers, not decals. However since my TB1 will need new markings anyway that's not a huge issue, and I probably won't do much with TB2 anyway.

As I said, I'll try to post photos this evening of them as quick snap-builds.

Actually, does anyone know what font was used in the film? I would ask in the Anderson Fonts thread, but this is only associated with the original in name only lol

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 19-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 19-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Okay, photo time.

Thunderbird 2 has been snapped together and put away... it's really far too small to make a worthwhile model out of it. It DOES look... I was going to say nice, but it isn't. It's flat and ugly, but it IS an accurate model:

Here it is with a Tomica 1/64 scale Toyota Crown Comfort taxi for size...

Tiny

Here it is with the Mole and smaller TB1 model...

And here it is with the 1/200 TB1...

Like the TB2 model TB1 is accurate, but small... not uselessly small, but still a wee bit disappointing.
Here is the model showing off its swing wings:

This the belly:

Belly and wheels:

The undercart is actually quite chunky, and is best replaced with new struts more to scale. They look pretty believable for a real craft but they turn this into a weird looking aeroplane.

The engine block is very well detailed... you can't see it but there is a fair amount of detail inside the nozzles.

And just to show how it's meant to look, here it is with the F-Toys 1/350 TB1... classic lines and simplicity of form.

I will be taking the TB1 model apart and building and finishing it properly. I'm not not a fan of the new designs, and I loathe the film to bits but I will make a fist of it
Old 19-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
KevinD
Communications Officer

Heretical as it no doubt is, I don't mind the film's versions of TB1 and TB2, though your last shot there does show that, whilst being ok, they are inferior to the originals (and so why bother re-designing). The film itself is truly awful, but it could've been good! There is a reason that Classics are classic!
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I don't know why they felt they had to redesign things so much... if they were trying to be 'logical' and 'realistic' then they should have remade something else. "Thunderbirds" was about the adventure, the machines and the peril... not some annoying teen with lipstick

I'm glad I got these models, but they are really way too small and I don't feel anything when I look at them. I look at a classic TB2 model and in my head I can hear Barry Gray's music.
There are some things you just need to get out of your system lol

Old 20-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Hello. I picked up the electronic version at a car boot sale for about 1 or 2 of your Earth pounds.
Luckily they had a bag to put it in so I wasn't too embarrassed carrying it around.
Maybe it'd be a better size for you to work with?
I'm sure ebay or gumtree would have them el cheapo.
It looks acceptable for a starting point.
Mines is just hiding in the loft alongside the original (electronic) TB2

It actually isn't as bad as you think...original is still wa-ay better though.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Oh I agree... the simple, clean lines, 60s styling etc... modern version is maybe more plausible but not my taste.
Your electronic one may be a better starting point as you suggested Doomsday... I'll have a look on evilBay at the weekend