Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Default A little "LONDON" build inspired by Exterminator..

Hmmmmm i really should document this now as it has been completed for a month or so and i was "allowed to use" the build plans by the great EXTERMINATOR on the promise i'd post pictures etc....

So i'll start by just pointing out that this is my 1st scratch build and paint and weathering, and that this is a 3" mini build by a hamfisted novice who couldn't cut a straight line if it was marked out for him.....

I think i'm right when i say that Simon Atkinson built the original 3" london while working for space models (As noted by Exterminator on Monday on another thread ) correct me if i'm wrong guys...

I stumbled upon Phil's (Exterminator) build while scouring the net for reference pics to make my own, and tracked him to this and the Horizon Forum listed in the Space Warp tab.
I’ll see if I can link to his excellent doodles and scaled sketches ( hope you don’t mind Phil? )
If my forum linking and image postings don’t work I’m sure He’ll drop by and share his work with us…….

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=143182
Post 19 for the pictures and words of advise from Phil.

Anyways so after studying these little notes and sketches I grabbed my trusty Stanley blade, ruler, pencil and some 1mm plasticard and followed Phil’s advise, firstly printing his ”deck plan” twice onto some sticky labels attaching them to my plastic and cutting them out…….
IMG_20120208_213642.jpg
Now phil has used some square evergreen type rod and drilled out the perforated girder work with a 0.5mm drill bit. I do not possess a bit that small nor a supply of small square rod, so some matchstick was used and the holes were omitted until I obtain a little bit.
IMG_20120208_214601.jpg
Continuing with Phil's excellent sketches i manage to cut and build the front, rear and cargo areas quite quickly..
IMG_20120208_213857.jpgIMG_20120208_213944.jpgIMG_20120209_220121.jpgIMG_20120209_220159.jpgIMG_20120209_222111.jpg

I moved on to build the bottom pieces....
IMG_20120209_204755.jpg
Sorry if the pictures seem real bad ( phone camera ),and so i'll leave this for now, will post more later.

Thanks for looking
Andy ( The Newbie )
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Andy,

This is brave of you - thanks for sharing.

I am sure you are planning to anyway but, running a little sandpaper over those joints will improve them in the squaring up dept, they don't need much but it will make all the difference. The primer paint with thank you for it too.

I have known Phil man and boy for weeks now, he is an upstanding member of this community, kept in check by his lovely wife Sally obviously. You'll not go wrong following his directions...
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Thanks Cap'n your comments are taken onboard and your right, yes i did show the plastic some sandpaper.
This mini model is complete now but you'll get to see all the mistakes and rough ( believe me it is!! ) paint job as i continue to log my build.
Note to self...... learn to fill all gaps before painting ....... and use the correct paint at the correct temp.... in the correct conditions.
Thats all i'm gonna say.
My reason for posting is to encourage others to "have a go" we all make mistakes, mess it up and salvage it to some degree. Practice makes perfect and we all gotta start somewhere.
Hopefully with the forum and fellow alphans support and build logs, i'll learn a thing or two and improve and move on to bigger and better pieces.
As i commented on a Phil thread earlier, i am Andy ( Padawan )......
Or as Phil posted back, " I guess that makes you ... Padawandy!!! "

Thanks again Andy ( Padawandy )
Old 27-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hey, Andy, nice work!! As a matter of interest, how long has it taken you so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappynutter View Post
Now phil has used some square evergreen type rod and drilled out the perforated girder work with a 0.5mm drill bit. I do not possess a bit that small nor a supply of small square rod, so some matchstick was used and the holes were omitted until I obtain a little bit.
Being of a somewhat tight nature (allegedly!), I didn't use any sort of pre-cut strip, I actually did it "the hard way" - draw it all up on a piece of thin styrene, tape it down securely, drill the holes and then cut it out!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/IMG00617.jpg

And here it is, all sliced up and in position:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/IMG00621.jpg

Quote:
My reason for posting is to encourage others to "have a go" we all make mistakes, mess it up and salvage it to some degree. Practice makes perfect and we all gotta start somewhere.
Absolutely!!

If you're interested, I think I've got some spare "LONDON" waterslide decals I had a local company print on their rather super colour laser printer. PM me your address and I'll slip them in the post to you.

Phil

P.S. - Bernie, I showed your post to Sally - a severe case of head-swelling took place immediately!!

Last edited by Exterminator; 27-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Thanks Phil,
I really never noticed that it was just plain old styrene, marked and cut by your good self to create the girder work...
Canada has the great " Ken Skiffington "......
We Brits get the very talented " Exterminator Phil ".....
Quote:
As a matter of interest, how long has it taken you so far?
Urmmmm, i dunno maybe a couple of weeks build, a day to paint and 2 mins to "Black up" and apply decal.

The little London has been completed and another mini build worked along side it.... I'm building a 3rd "Mini" at the moment with a 4th at the drawing stage.....
I'm trying to get lots of practice in and hopefully each will be better than the last...

Thank you for the kind offer of the "Spare" decals, i would have liked them but i have used your image and created a likeness on a sticky label, cut out and applied... You'll see.......

Hopefully i'll post some more pictures later and see what you all think.

Thanks again for dropping by and leaving kind words of encouragement, good luck with that TV21 Emperor Dalek...

Regards Andy ( Padawandy )

Old 27-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Urmmmm, i dunno maybe a couple of weeks build, a day to paint and 2 mins to "Black up" and apply decal.
That's not bad going!! I think I took about a month!

Quote:
The little London has been completed and another mini build worked along side it.... I'm building a 3rd "Mini" at the moment with a 4th at the drawing stage.....
Ooh, looking forward to seeing them!!

Quote:
... good luck with that TV21 Emperor Dalek ...
Thanks, I'm going to need it, especially transportation - I'll either rent a van with a tail lift, or I'll have to push it there myself ... !!
Old 27-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Back again......
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappynutter

That's not bad going!! I think I took about a month!
Yeah Phil i would be guessing all in, start to finish about 3 weeks, remembering all i gotta do was follow " idiot proof" instructions drawn to scale, and build technique logged online....

Oh yeah and of course yours is a very convincing replica of Simon's 3" original.., mine would just about pass from a distance, fleetingly before exploding in a ball of flames...

Back to some build pictures then,
IMG_20120213_220441.jpgIMG_20120213_220513.jpgIMG_20120213_220556.jpgIMG_20120215_154034.jpg
Okay so as shown above i've made and attached the feet, glued everything in place and threw some milliput in the corners and the larger holes in the shoulder pieces.

IMG_20120215_154059.jpgIMG_20120218_221219.jpgIMG_20120218_221235.jpgIMG_20120218_221257.jpg

Once i'd sorted out the feet and glued them in place i started to build up some surface detail, or as Mr Phil put it......
Quote:
You'll have to busk it and fake your way through building it ... that's what I did!!
Finally getting to throw chunks of 1mm plasticard randomly over the wings and hull..

IMG_20120219_205405.jpgIMG_20120219_205412.jpgIMG_20120219_205440.jpgIMG_20120219_205506.jpg

And a quick shot of the underside showing the engines built and in place...
IMG_20120221_214012.jpg
Just as a point i have been extra tight on this build using household bits and bobs ( old straws, plastic lolipop sticks and small steel rod from a broken toy )... for the legs and later on the brace between the tower and rear end.

I will finish for now as my build is starting to take shape...

Thanks again for looking in,

Andy ( Padawan modeller )
Old 27-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Oh yeah and of course yours is a very convincing replica of Simon's 3" original.., mine would just about pass from a distance, fleetingly before exploding in a ball of flames...
Well, interestingly enough, my ... oh no, OUR London models (it's very nice to be able to say that! ) are more detailed than Simon's original - the 3" model he made was just some bits of sawn Perspex stuck together, no details. The detailing is taken from the large model, owned by Mat Irvine.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

That model is officially "cute" and I want one. Where does one go for the aforementioned idiots plan? It was made for me obviously...
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Speaking of idiots, I've just spent the last 10 minutes serarching for the thread which contains all of my diagrams - couldn't remember where it was!!

Found it eventually - here!!

Old 30-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
Speaking of idiots, I've just spent the last 10 minutes serarching for the thread which contains all of my diagrams - couldn't remember where it was!!

Found it eventually - here!!
Yeah took me a while to remember...
But i did link to the thread on post 1 of this thread just didn't know how to link to post 19 of the " favorite ships " thread from earlier in the year....
Quote:
If my forum linking and image postings don’t work I’m sure He’ll drop by and share his work with us…….

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=143182
Post 19 for the pictures and words of advise from Phil.
How chuffed would you be to see a fleet of these little "Londons" appearing on here???

And i don't know why these just give me a very "Corgi Liberator from the 70's" feeling about them... Had a couple as a kid, bent and snapped off the gun spikes within a couple of months cos' they were plastic and all bendy...
Loved them tho' i took the most battered of the pair everywhere...

More posts and pictures later i think, if time allows

Thanks Andy ( Padawan Modeller )
Old 30-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
That model is officially "cute" and I want one. Where does one go for the aforementioned idiots plan? It was made for me obviously...
Oh and yes Cap'n..... i agree The London at 3" is a "cute" model and i never noticed as Phil pointed out, that Simon's original was undetailed and just a "Rough" (for perspective against the studio scale liberator i suppose)...
Amazing what the right lighting and editing to the larger detailed London can pull off....
Oh the wonders of studio models and cutting room genius....

Till later,

Andy ( Padawan Modeller )
Old 30-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Yeah took me a while to remember...
But i did link to the thread on post 1 of this thread just didn't know how to link to post 19 of the " favorite ships " thread from earlier in the year....
So, the link was at the top of the page all the time, and I missed it?

D'oh!!
Old 30-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Hi again.

Yeah sorry Phil, i slipped the link in but didn't do a very good job of promoting its presence....

I'll learn how to work this posting, linking malarky, i promise...

Anyway i will finish the building of my London leaving the embarrassing painting posts for another day..

The tower, very fiddly and frustrating when you have not got the right tools, materials or Hands like shovels and sausage fingers!!

IMG_20120221_214100.jpgIMG_20120221_214109.jpgIMG_20120221_214128.jpgIMG_20120221_214138.jpg

So i glue it in place and give it a trial run with some cut plasticard first, then attach the thin steel rod and crane build..... again a very tricky cut "n" glue piece at this scale in these novice hands....

IMG_20120221_214701.jpgIMG_20120221_214728.jpgIMG_20120330_115115.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality again, photo taking late at night with the camera phone doesn't do this model any favours.....

Okay so the "London" is built ( roughly i might add ) and just requires some paint and weathering to finish.
Unfortunately i have never really painted / sprayed a model, and weathering is something i have only ever seen done on Youtube videos.
I may be a painter and decorator by trade, but usually i'd brush the paint on with big brushes and rollers on large walls, doors and windowframes...

Anyway you'll get to see the finished results soon Alphans....
Thanks for dropping by.

Andy ( Padawan Modeller )
Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

I'm back and ready to finish off the build with some paint and weathered pictures...

So as i mentioned earlier i have never painted a small model or weathered one, or took into consideration the paint used, method applied or conditions worked in.....

Cold damp days using old thick cheap spraycans can have a huge effect on a 3" mini build as i found out.
Thick, patchy coats were applied then hopefully recovered with the attempt at weathering with an Acrylic (water based) wash of black.....

IMG_20120404_111209.jpgIMG_20120404_111215.jpg
A quick coat of primer ( I should have filled the open joint but didn't ),,,
IMG_20120404_111251.jpgIMG_20120404_111323.jpgIMG_20120404_111408.jpgIMG_20120404_111337.jpgIMG_20120404_111301.jpg

I've posted the worst of the gloss finish pictures just so you can see what a really really poor job i made of the filling and painting stage.
Using cheap car spray outside on a damp cold day has caused untold issues.I've flooded all the detail, created sags and fat edges and continued to work without allowing drying time...... i know its bad but will a wash recover this ????
I have taken the image created by Phil of his "London" logo and printed it onto a sticky label.... cut it out and after adding a wash of black stuck it in place.... For a cheap first attempt project of one of my favorite ships from a classic British Sc-fi program, i think i have about caught a likeness that for me ( once mounted on a suitable base/diorama ) will do....
IMG_20120405_142737.jpgIMG_20120424_111911.jpgIMG_20120424_111944.jpgIMG_20120424_112034.jpgIMG_20120424_112131.jpgIMG_20120424_112152.jpgIMG_20120426_235753.jpgIMG_20120426_235802.jpg

A couple more shots to try and portray the "Prison Ship London" a little better......
P2180010.jpgP1210009.jpgP1210012.jpgP2180013.jpg

And the real thing Screen grabbed from the episode " The Way Back "..
london lift off.jpg
Thanks for following my first ever build/thread.
Till the next attempt,

Andy