Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Airfix buildings in Thunderbirds

I was looking at old Airfix buildings for model railways and I was wondering if any of them were used in the series? I know the other models were (girder bridge, etc) but what about the shop and flat? Modern house? Any ideas?
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I think Airfix buildings would have been too recognisable not to mention, contemporary with the 1960s era. Some of the European Companies, such as Heljan and Kibri, produced models of Modern western European buildings , many of which looked genuinely futuristic and were far easier to use without drastic surgery
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
I was looking at old Airfix buildings for model railways and I was wondering if any of them were used in the series? I know the other models were (girder bridge, etc) but what about the shop and flat? Modern house? Any ideas?
I think the Airfix bungalow appeared in theThundebirds Are Go! movie. It could be seen just before the Zero X crash at the end of the film. These Airfix models can still be purchased under the name Dapol. Dapol purchased these models many years ago.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Right... just curious, really... the thread about Lego used in buildings and the Arkitex models got me thinking.

Yes, I know about the Dapol reissues... I have their girder and foot bridges for kitbashing. Thanks for the info re the Zero X crash scene... have to have a closer look at the DVD
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Mike Delamar made mention of the Airfix Linka system being used for buildings that had to detonate in spectacular fashion with bricks flying everywhere. I am certain I have seen parts of the station platform kit in the TB2 docking bay along with the turntable set.

If one kit can perform so many roles (girder bridge for example) then it's not that likely that a contemporary building like a cottage kit would be used often as it really only has one use, as a cottage. Bang for budget money, I would choose railway or military kits every time just for the part count and detailing opportunities alone.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
Right... just curious, really... the thread about Lego used in buildings and the Arkitex models got me thinking.

Yes, I know about the Dapol reissues... I have their girder and foot bridges for kitbashing. Thanks for the info re the Zero X crash scene... have to have a closer look at the DVD
No problem. Talking about Lego. in the Zero X crash scene. a cafe is seen with the Lego logo on the front of the cafe before it's destroyed!
Old 15-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
I think the Airfix bungalow appeared in theThundebirds Are Go! movie. It could be seen just before the Zero X crash at the end of the film. These Airfix models can still be purchased under the name Dapol. Dapol purchased these models many years ago.
That one was from the Triang "Model land" range.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Study in Scarlet View Post
That one was from the Triang "Model land" range.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
oshvision
Medical Technician

I think a number of Hornby Triang buildings were used at the begining of the Thunderbirds epidsode "The Imposters" with the weird 'FAKE' thunderbird 2 craft
oshvision is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

There are some nice overhead shots in that sequence, showing a LOT of Matchbox vehicles.

Old 19-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

I remember seeing most of those models in the toy shops in the 60's there were so many of them made they are quite easey to get hold of.
Old 22-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The reason I asked the question at the start of this thread is that I would like to take photos of some of my Thunderbirds models with appropriate background elements.
I know the Konami, Imai, F-toys models are a LOT smaller than the TV used models, but it would be fun to try... plus I am restoring/correcting a Dinky FAB1 and that could look really nice with some retro-modern buildings in the background.

I've always been a diorama modeller and I like the idea of adding some context to the models.

Tags
airfix