Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office > Cap'n on Deck

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #41
Nige194
Life Support Technician

Quote:
dont think that is road legal somehow!
How did DLT drive it then?
Nige194 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #42
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige194 View Post
How did DLT drive it then?
DLT never drove it on public roads, above anything else it has a plastic windscreen. The doors didnt work either. lots of road illegal points. remember this was a film prop made to look nice. When you saw it driving on the show, they had permission to drive it in the scenes only, the road would have been closed off for them
filmsean@btinternet.com is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #43
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Sean, was the original Zephr/Zodiac chassis stretched, or did they just plonk the body onto a normal one, as it were??

The reason being if I were attempting this I would go for a left hand drive Mondeo, or even an old Opel Manta, as the donor. I realize you don`t get the `all mod cons` but you would get a car that `felt` more in keeping with Strakers car - ie plasticy interior etc. just my two penneth.
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
Sean, was the original Zephr/Zodiac chassis stretched, or did they just plonk the body onto a normal one, as it were??

The reason being if I were attempting this I would go for a left hand drive Mondeo, or even an old Opel Manta, as the donor. I realize you don`t get the `all mod cons` but you would get a car that `felt` more in keeping with Strakers car - ie plasticy interior etc. just my two penneth.
the zephur chasis was not stretched, the jag is the same size and why have the same tacky badly done interior? That makes no sense to me as I have seen first hand how it was done and again as i keep stressing, I want this to be a road going street legal car and thus have laws and health and safty to abide to.
So I will have a jag interior.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #45
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsean@btinternet.com View Post
the zephur chasis was not stretched, the jag is the same size and why have the same tacky badly done interior? That makes no sense to me as I have seen first hand how it was done and again as i keep stressing, I want this to be a road going street legal car and thus have laws and health and safty to abide to.
So I will have a jag interior.
Sorry Sean I thought you wanted to recreate the original.

Old 16-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #46
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
Sorry Sean I thought you wanted to recreate the original.
If I did that Chris, you couldnt drive it on the road, if you are going to rebuild this car then it makes much better sense that you do it in a way that you can drive it every day. This car will look identical on the outside to the original but will have a more upto date interior. I want to do what I feel would have been done if they had had the time and the money. This car will be driven almost every day, will go like stink, have everything working and look like it did during UFO.
Is that a bad thing? the interior on the original was hideous, the seats were made out of plywood and covered in cheap foam. Mine will be leather sports seats, need I say anymore!
Old 17-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #47
noorkoiva
Chef

Default Strakers Car

The real Irony lies in the fact that these molds could have been taken at any time, and the original car could have been fully restored; copies, as good as they are, are at the end of the day, just copies. The original iconic car holds a sense of importance that remains unique to itself.
noorkoiva is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Sean did an amazing job negotiating just to get permission and access to take the moulds. The owner won't sell the car, after that everything about working on the original is mute.

So let's imagine that wasn't the case, that it could be moved to a suitable workshop. Let's also imagine that we had the finance and will to restore it. Now look at the images of the car and lets have a reality check. All the steel parts of the car are like tissue paper, nothing is salvageable. There is no interior left to speak of, no engine or windows. What you have left are the body panels which are held together by sheer luck. In my view one more winter will see this car collapse into a collection of aluminium scrap as the fabric of it's construction is now dust. Basically, only some of the body panels are all that is left to restore of the original car and they are not in good condition.

What Sean has done is step in at the very last possible moment and taken a "snapshot" to preserve the exterior shape which is all that remains. Trust me when I tell you, it was a now or never venture, there was really no alternative.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #49
fab1
Communications Officer

I like the Jag idea, the original was all about the exterior image and the cockpit with Straker looking cool.
It would be nice if its legal to pay some homage to the interior, I dont know if thats possible or not? I dont mean plywood seats obviously!
I cant imagine what the rear view vision is like, a road test after completion would be fun.

Good luck with the project.
fab1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #50
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Sean did an amazing job negotiating just to get permission and access to take the moulds. The owner won't sell the car, after that everything about working on the original is mute.

So let's imagine that wasn't the case, that it could be moved to a suitable workshop. Let's also imagine that we had the finance and will to restore it. Now look at the images of the car and lets have a reality check. All the steel parts of the car are like tissue paper, nothing is salvageable. There is no interior left to speak of, no engine or windows. What you have left are the body panels which are held together by sheer luck. In my view one more winter will see this car collapse into a collection of aluminium scrap as the fabric of it's construction is now dust. Basically, only some of the body panels are all that is left to restore of the original car and they are not in good condition.

What Sean has done is step in at the very last possible moment and taken a "snapshot" to preserve the exterior shape which is all that remains. Trust me when I tell you, it was a now or never venture, there was really no alternative.
Agreed, I saw the car 15 years ago and even then, when trying to work out if it `could be done`, reached the conclusion that the majority of it was too far gone.

I`m amazed there`s any of it left tbh.

Old 17-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
mike s
Communications Officer

yeah its in a very sorry state - I don't understand why the owner wouldn't sell though when its obviously going to crumble to bits pretty soon - is it purely for sentimental reasons I wonder..?

still much respect to them though for letting you guys cast it, it must have been quite nerve wracking, it could have disintegrated couldn't it..?
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #52
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I'm surprised he won't sell but won't preserve it, either....doesn't make any sense really.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
Nige194
Life Support Technician

I didn't know DLT never drove the car on the road, I did wonder because of the doors and the steering, etc.
I'd still also like to see a second replica that is an exact copy of the original with the steering wheel and all those basic clocks inside. It would only need to drive on private ground (but it does need those doors to work properly). This one could be in a museum display.
Nige194 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #54
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige194 View Post
I didn't know DLT never drove the car on the road, I did wonder because of the doors and the steering, etc.
I'd still also like to see a second replica that is an exact copy of the original with the steering wheel and all those basic clocks inside. It would only need to drive on private ground (but it does need those doors to work properly). This one could be in a museum display.
and who would pay for that i wonder?
Old 17-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #55
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Sean has sent these images to me to show the next stage in preparation for making the replica body shell. They mounted the plaster moulds onto wooden trollies to make them easier to move around, the moulds are very weighty as you can imagine.

They will then be sealed and wax polished ready to layup with fibreglass, it's these panels that will form the working masters. Any repair work or alteration will be done then before a final set of fibreglass moulds are made. Still a lot of work and a long way to go but huge strides everyday so far.

The team are very skilled at what they do and experts at working with these materials.

Old 17-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #56
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Sean
You deserve a knighthood
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #57
mike s
Communications Officer

so they do a straight cast without an intermediate..?

what if there is any distortion ie what if the car had gone out of true - how would they correct it..? am I explaining myself correctly, not sure...
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #58
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Someone will have to tip them the wink, when its finished-I'm sure they'd love to review it!
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #59
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Oo-forgot to say-the Top Gear boys that is!

On another point, I think a ltd run kit of this, even if it was just the body shell would be popular-if youve got room for an 18 footer that is!
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #60
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hopefully, I will be producing a 1/6th scale (approx three foot) model, it will accurate as I will be working from the original car shape. Sean has invited me to visit his studio and see what they are doing first hand. I will re-photograph all the parts in hi res, make some measurements of my own of the assembled panels (they will be fixed into the jig by then) and producing a measured CAD drawing.

They will be casting a set of fibre glass panels from these moulds. They will be fixed to a custom made jig that will allow any adjustments that need to be made to re-establish the correct shape of the car taken from reference material and measurements made at the time of moulding. Once alignment has been resolved the fit and finish of the body shell will be improved to restore all the original surface finishes and panel gaps, etc, etc.

Finally a set of new master moulds will be produced from which the replica and any possible production copies will be made. A lot of work needs to be done before any decisions are made on kit car's or road going finished replicas. Building a movie prop is one thing, making a road legal production car is a whole different ball game.