Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Question about Corgi FAB1

I recently bought a junked Dinky FAB1 and spare/replacement parts so I can restore and correct the car (repainting the interior the right colour, replacing headlights, erasing the front doors, adding antennae and hiding the rear missiles holes with lights)... but I was also looking at the Corgi version.

I noticed that the newer model (like the smaller Matchbox one) is a bit boxier and has a distinctly oversize canopy. Is this version based on the puppet-scale model from "Thunderbirds Are Go!"... or is it just a complete dog's dinner?
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

I think the dog's would be correct.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Fair enough... I'll leave well alone
Old 23-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

I think they went and looked at the one at "Cars of the Stars". That never looks sleek enough either.
It's allegedly in Miami now so it's long way for a look !
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

What i've been told, I don't think Gerry Anderson was keen on it either.

Old 24-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Right... yes it always looked a bit square at the front.

I was having a good look at the Dinky as I was stripping it and I noticed something surprising.
Nowhere does it say Rolls Royce on any materials relating to this particular item... and that includes the radiator grille. Where it would have the 'RR' logo it has a rather fancy swirly letter 'P'.
So is this their way of getting round having to fork out for a licence to Rolls Royce?
It actually makes it a rather nice little touch to be honest. I like that.
Old 24-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

I never noticed that. Nice one!
Old 25-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Dinky FAB1 restoration.

DT, no I never noticed until I was looking at the grille, and there was that little curly 'P'

Well, since the Corgi version of FAB1 is such a mess I've decided to push on with my Dinky restoration, and I'll just use this thread since the question has been answered .

I took the car apart and I was left with a rolling chassis, interior and shell. The grille was broken and I was missing clear parts and Lady Penelope.

I gave it a good four hours with Mr Muscle with only a little bubbling, then just attacked it with Modelstrip, which removed around 98% of the paint. I need to do some more areas... or try and plink it off

In the stripped photos you can the replacement clear parts... while I am very happy to have these there are a couple of problems: the windscreen is warped and the sliding canopy is too short (you can see that in the profile shot).

However, this will be more than just a restoration. I intend to paint the interior black with white lining, adding Parker's mic and some other smaller details. The headlight crystals will be removed and replaced with small silver-backed lenses. The rear rocket launcher holes will be covered by rear lights. The biggest and most obvious change will be to fill in the seam for the forward edge of the front doors, giving the car the two doors of the original.

At a later date I will try to get hold of original clear parts as they are less likely to be too short or twisted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apart.jpg (55.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-24 19.24.07.jpg (54.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-24 19.24.24.jpg (54.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 25-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

A real shame Corgi Toys could nt have completed the original prototype from the 1960s and employed the services of master designer Marcel Van Cleemput.What a great tribute to the Man that would have been.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
Nowhere does it say Rolls Royce on any materials relating to this particular item... and that includes the radiator grille. Where it would have the 'RR' logo it has a rather fancy swirly letter 'P'.
So is this their way of getting round having to fork out for a licence to Rolls Royce?
It actually makes it a rather nice little touch to be honest. I like that.
I think it s more a case of Rolls-Royce hating everything to do with that car.

Old 25-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Yes, I read that they wanted to buy the full scale version so they could destroy it.

Compared to the latest generation of rollers FAB1 was a beauty! The new Silver Ghost could be any land barge.

Old 25-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Agreed.And yet the Phantom is my favourite modern car and a very strong contender for my all-time top 10.Along with the coupe and convertible.That car just works for me in every way.

But FAB 1-While some models of it looked dodgy,along with Sams Car it s in my top 5.I love six-wheelers.I ve been doing a lot of reading on the Panther Six from 1977 just recently.I ve got a large model of the Tyrrell P34 from 1976...and always fantasized about what the Hispano Alfonso that Captain Black drove in one of the Captain Scarlet novels would have looked like!
Old 25-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I think the Alfonso would be long and sleek, with fins and a 'fastback' shape, much like Ron Turner's cars in various TV21/Anderson series annuals... and the six wheels would just make it look so amazing!

Was that the Silent Saboteur or the Mysterons novel?
Old 25-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

The one where they controlled the Weather.It s been 30 years since I read that!Im 46 now.
Old 26-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

That was the first one: "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons"... "The Silent Saboteur" was about a submarine. Despite phrases such as 'thank Pete' and an over-use of 'gee!' I think John Theydon's novels were great. I have all of his Thunderbirds, Stingray and Scarlet novels, as well as a couple of his John W Jennnison Thunderbirds hardback novels.

Anyway, back to FAB1, and the more I look at it and compare it with the 1/24 version we saw most of the time, the rear end is really way too long on the Dinky.
Never mind, it isn't something I can do anything about.

I am really not happy with the canopy. Yes it's cleanly moulded, and it is nice and clear, but I don't understand why it's so small. I thought it was just the length, but there are also gaps at the side, as you can see from the fuzzy pic attached... sorry, took it with my phone again.

I may have to order one from Tinkertoy, and if that is too small then try to track down an original Dinky one. The gap at the rear is just annoying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short canopy callouts.jpg (40.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 26-05-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 26-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Will you be changing the hub caps and adding hydrofoils & skis to the chassis TV21?
Old 28-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Er... nope.

To change the hubcaps would mean casting new ones and I've only ever cast something once, and made a pig's ear of that.
Hydrofoils? No, not going that far

Basically I want to have a detailed paint job, a better interior and no gimmicks. I'm aiming for something that Ebbro or a model company like that would produce rather than something to play with.

It was a wreck before so I'm not bothered about losing the missiles and the like.
Old 28-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

looking forward to seeing the finished model.
Old 29-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Just have to remove the last few fragments of 44 year old paint from the shell then I can start adding the rear lights and filling in the front door seam.

Hopefully before the car is buttoned up I can get a genuine canopy (which will be the right size) or find someone who can thermoform a one-piece complete unit for me, so losing the sliding gimmick completely.
Old 13-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I have managed to get hold of an original Dinky canopy... hopefully this will now cover the rear deck area, unlike the too-small replacement moulding.

Also, just noticed that the Bandai Chara Wheels version of FAB1 is roughly 1/80 scale, matching the Tomitec, Tomix and other Japanese scale cars and railways. FAB!
This photo shows it with a 1/80 scale Honda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charawheels 2.jpg (160.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 13-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.