Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Default Uniform - technically not exactly a model

Just a quick post showing my progress to date on my Year II uniform. I actually made it a few years ago, but it always needed a few fixes here and there. With the upcoming Alpha convention here in Los Angeles in September I decided to dust it off and make the fixes I always wanted to make.

So, the whole thing is made from scratch, with the exception of the red AM patch and the shoes. The commloc is a scratch build from earlier this year. The stun gun is a heavily modified squirt gun I bought back in the 70s.... I may eventually upload a few pics of the gun to show all the mods. The basic shape was close to correct, but the handle was too squared off, the barrel area was too short, and so on.

The beige color of the uniform has always been a real pain.... figuring out what color it was in real lighting vs. what showed up on screen. I really didn't like the on-screen washed out gray that it usually appeared, so I went with a more beige color. It's just a tad bit darker than I would have liked, but it was the closest I could get at the time.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...m/uniform1.jpg
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...m/Uniform2.jpg
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...m/Uniform3.jpg

Now if only I could learn to pose more naturally for the camera.

Next up, if I dare try it, a second season jacket.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi John,

I think there is something wrong with your links, could you repost them or send me the images to bernie@eagletransporter.com and I'll repost them.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Uniform links are displaying fine here.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

john trek the photos of you in your Year II uniform are brilliant, well done. You look like a cast member right off the set of Year II. I look forward to the second season jacket.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 02-06-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: additional thought
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I wore mine to wondercon, surprised you haven't done so....

I also had to carry a big eagle around just to make sure people got what the uniform was.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_trek View Post
The beige color of the uniform has always been a real pain.... figuring out what color it was in real lighting vs. what showed up on screen.
I recently obtain was is purported by product enterprise to be a square of the original fabric from ML's uniform....looks yellow to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

I have seen original uniforms at the Breakaway con in 1999 in Los Angeles. In natural lighting (as opposed to the flash photography I used here to show my uniform) the beige Fabric I chose was close to the correct color, but not exact. I think mine was slightly darker, IIRC.

at that Con there was a dealer selling original uniform tunics for 400 dollars. I am still kicking myself for not buying one.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_trek View Post
I have seen original uniforms at the Breakaway con in 1999 in Los Angeles. In natural lighting (as opposed to the flash photography I used here to show my uniform) the beige Fabric I chose was close to the correct color, but not exact. I think mine was slightly darker, IIRC.

at that Con there was a dealer selling original uniform tunics for 400 dollars. I am still kicking myself for not buying one.
I saw one at FABGEAR's table, that looked Tan to me...

$400? That had better come with 2 pairs of pants. I wonder why they never turn up on ebay....

Still, what's your fabric source?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Fabric source? Uh... some store about 22 years ago. I still have the original extra fabric in my supplies (which blew my mind when I located it). Enough left over to make another tunic if I decide to do so. I might do that, still haven't found anything closer to the color that I like.

Anyway... quick update. Finally made a jacket to go with the uniform. For this first pass I found a cotton/polyester jacket that was very close to the original style and a good color. Had to fully replace the collar since the original was too small to make a convincing match. Put on the cream colored trim for the collar, main body, and the arm... uh, chevron?

Eventually hope to make a full jacket from scratch, but thought a good first effort would be easier with an existing base jacket. If you look at the series carefully, I think that most of the jackets were made the same way. They bought a commerically available exercise jacket, and made modifications to them. This is born out by the silver-white retangular patch that appears just below the circular chest patch on all of the jackets (except Helena and Koenig). That patch appears even when the jacket doesn't have any other patches on the chest. The occasional close up shot shows some barely visible lettering on the patch, which makes me think it's the logo for the commercial company which made the jackets.

Anyway.... here it is.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...iformJack1.jpg
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
armadillozenith
Hydroponics Technician

Default smart uniform and jacket!

keen work !
armadillozenith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I just finished modding the STAR WARS jacket into the yellow first season jacket....worked pretty well, although I haven't found a matching fabric to make the pocket flap out of.