Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Glazy
Medical Technician

Default Favourite Spaceships from TV and Film

These are in no real particular order but below are my 10 favorite TV show spaceships, ships I consider design classics, and I'm sure most would agree, although I think I may have trouble convincing some of my choice with the 'Seeker' from Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, but I've always thought it was a neat ship.

As much as I like the new version of Battlestar Galactica I don't think you can beat the original ship designs, especially the Cylon raider, I'm not a fan of the newer Cylon ship.

If the US had the 'USS Enterprise' then the UK had the 'Liberator', both design classics, the only real shame about the 'Liberator' is the way it was put on screen in Blake's 7, sometimes it looked great, sometimes it looked like a paper cut out and other times it looked like an Airfix kit dangling on wires in a badly lit studio. I've always said I'd have loved to have seen that model filmed properly to give it the right amount of mood and scale.

'Starbug' from Red Dwarf took over from their other ship the 'Blue Midget', 'Starbug' for most of Red Dwarf was always a miniature, it was only in the last few series that some bright spark at the BBC replaced it with a crappy CG version.

The Space 1999 'Eagle' has got to be one of the best SF ships ever, such a great design.

The Buck Rogers in the 25th Century craft known as the 'Earth Directorate Starfighter' was designed by Ralph McQuarrie (Star Wars) and was the original design for the Battlestar Galactica 'Colonial Viper'.

After the 'Liberator' was destroyed in Blake's 7 they got a new ship called 'Scorpio', kind of a Millenium Falcon type freighter, the model was built by Ron Thornton who went onto do the FX for Babylon 5 and Star Trek: Voyager

The original NCC-1701 'USS Enterprise' from Star Trek was a ship unlike any other ship from a Sci-Fi show that came before it, a really original design for it's time and still as iconic today.

The only really new ship in this list is the 'Earth Alliance Starfury' from Babylon 5 and that's 18 years old now, I thought it was a cool design and I like the maneuvering thrusters that they put on the ship.

And at number 11 another ship that sprung to mind for this list is the 'HMS Camden Lock' from BBC 2's Hyperdrive, but I thought that was been a bit cheeky seeing as though I co-designed and built it for the show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV_Ships09.jpg (55.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships07.jpg (43.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships01.jpg (113.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships02.jpg (62.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships05.jpg (49.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships06.jpg (73.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships08.jpg (70.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships04.jpg (101.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships10.jpg (96.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships03.jpg (109.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TV_Ships00.jpg (116.9 KB, 73 views)
Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Glazy
Medical Technician

Ships are always referred to as 'She' but I suppose this is the one ship that truly was a female ship. Nell was designed and built by James Cameron for the Roger Corman produced Battle Beyond the Stars in 1980.The ships exteriors were designed and built first but the interiors were just going to be generic sets for each ship, it was Cameron who designed the interiors to hopefully compliment the exteriors.

The 'Valley Forge' and it's sister ships the 'Berkshire' and 'Sequoia' were based on the Expo Tower at the 1970 World's Fair in Osaka, Japan. The actual miniature was 26 feet in length and used over 650 army tank model kits for detail. I've always loved the film since I was a kid, so I was very disturbed in the late 70's to find footage from Silent Running showing up in Battlestar Galactica with shots of the 'Valley Forge' been attacked by Cylon Raiders.

The Dropship from Aliens is another James Cameron design, both Ron Cobb and Syd Mead had a go at designing it, but the final look was based on a rough model that Cameron put together himself to show the basic layout and form. I suppose you could argue the fact that the Dropship isn't so much a spaceship in the true sense, but we do see it travel into space to and from the Sulaco.

The ship that almost never was, most Star Wars fans know the tale of how the original Pirate Ship owned by Han Solo was going to be a much longer vessel, a miniature that ILM made for the ship later got re used as the Rebel Blockade Runner after a crew member commented how it looked a lot like the Space 1999 Eagle Transporter, so the cockpit and Radar dish were removed and a knew ship was designed for them, which became the Millenium Falcon that we all know and love. Also at one point the Millenium Falcon was going to fly upright once in space and the cockpit was going to rotate so the cockpit crew were sat at the top of the ship, nice idea but glad they scrapped it.

Discovery is a spaceship that really has stood the test of time design wise, especially where the interior detail is concerned, the control panels, HAL's flat screen monitors all still look very high tech even in this day and age. Discovery and other ships from 2001:A Space Odyssey were the first miniatures used in films to ever really use plastic kit parts to add detail, the original studio miniature was a whopping 54 Feet in Length, with a smaller 15 foot version built for the long shots.

My favourite of all the Star Trek 'Enterprise' ships, this was designed by Andrew Probert for 1979's Star Trek:The Motion Picture and is a refit of the ship seen in the original Star Trek series, love the sequence were Scotty shows Kirk the ship in the Drydock, fabulous sequence and superb Jerry Goldsmith music.

Designed for Star Trek 3:The Search for Spock as a Romulan ship, this was meant to have been stolen by a group of renegade Klingon's lead by Commander Kruge. Later during a script rewrite it became a Klingon Ship.The ship was designed by ILM visual effects art directors Nilo Rodis and Dave Carson.

Designed by Ron Cobb for the film The Last Starfighter the Gunstar has been a favorite of mine for some time, and for a CG ship done in 1984 the look of it still holds up pretty well today. It has a similar feel to Babylon 5 Starfury in that the outer engines have attitude thrusters.

Another Ron Cobb design is the Scoutship Dark Star from the John Carpenter SF Comedy also called Dark Star funnily enough, this was said to have been designed initially on a napkin whilst they talked over ideas. The interior of this ship has a bit of a Tardis thing going on, as in the interior is certainly bigger than the exterior. I've always loved Talby's observation bubble on top of the ship.

Always one of the coolest sounding spaceships the Tie Fighter is probably my favorite of all the Star Wars fighter craft, I much prefer this to the Tie Interceptor that was introduced in Return of the Jedi, the Tie Bomber seen in The Empire Strikes Back was a neat design as was Vader's own Tie from Star Wars but this one has always seemed to have something special, plus the Tie Fighter pilots had cool helmets.

Ok that's ten ships, but just bubbling under as a fave of mine is Cowboy's ship from Battle Beyond the Stars with it's confederate flag and it's cargo section that it hauls, oh yeah and George Peppard as Cowboy. The front hull body above and below the cockpit windows are from the Tamiya model kit of the British Quad Gun Tractor The ship lands upright on it's four engines once it's droppedc the cargo section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Film_Ships013b.jpg (101.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships0187b.jpg (82.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships017b.jpg (125.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships07.jpg (70.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships05.jpg (65.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships03.jpg (88.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships01.jpg (91.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships02.jpg (93.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships04.jpg (67.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships06.jpg (77.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Film_Ships011b.jpg (100.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Glazy excellent spaceship analysis.

I agree with your thoughts especially the Seeker from SA/JOSC, Space:1999 Eagle and Star Trek:TMP Enterprise-refit. The Silent Running's American Airlines Space Freighters footage being reused in the original Battlestar Galactica as the Colonial Agro Ships surprised me too back then.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

If we're talking about reuse, how about "Space Raiders" from Roger Corman, which not only re-used practically every piece of special effects footage from "Battle Beyond The Stars" but also the spacecraft from "Android" (which is sort of a cross between the front of Thunderbird 2 and the Shuttle from "Return of the Jedi")
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

What about the Dia-X from Star Fleet? Three spaceships that join up to form a giant robot. Not many of those about!

Firefly - Some nice effects shots in the series and film, and I loved the last shot in the movie with it leaving the planet through a rain storm.

The C-57D is a favourite too, simple but classic design, and the shot of it landing is still a top class effect and one of my all-time faves.

Rather odd that considering the enormous amount of Sci-Fi films over the last 20 years there is still hardly a decent design that stands out. I often wonder if its because its all done in a computer these days with vehicles flashing past at warp speed and we no longer have those long lingering shots of models that allow us to appriciate the details.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
What about the Dia-X from Star Fleet? Three spaceships that join up to form a giant robot. Not many of those about!
Personally, I was very disappointed when the Space-X Dragon docked with the ISS and DIDN'T turn into a giant robot.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

On a more serious note, no-one's mentioned my personal favorite, the Narcissus from Alien. Or, for that matter, the Nostromo.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Great, informative post there Andrew!
Mind if i have a go?
I'll just let the visuals speak for themselves - and that, if Fine Molds haven't made a kit of one, PLEASE do.
From ten to one then:

MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

Made with parts from an old Star Trek Enterprise kit my entry is the ship from Quark.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg quark_spaceship.jpg (9.9 KB, 387 views)
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Glazy
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
On a more serious note, no-one's mentioned my personal favorite, the Narcissus from Alien. Or, for that matter, the Nostromo.
They'd certainly be in my list if it was a top 20. I loved those shuttles from the film Android,they were a neat little ship !!!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I liked the Jupiter 2 with a Spacepod[inspired by the Apollo Lunar Module] aboard docked in the podbay of Lost In Space 1965-1968.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Glazy
Medical Technician

The Cygnus from The Black Hole is a superb looking ship !!!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

My favorites that haven't been mentioned yet include the Spindrift/ Flying Sub and the Moon Bus. What is number 6 on MangaMax list? I've not seen that before.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite40 View Post
Made with parts from an old Star Trek Enterprise kit my entry is the ship from Quark.

Yes! The UGSP SCOW! What parts were enterprise, though? Always wished I had one of these....loved quark, first tv show I ever saw in color.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Number 6 was the Jagaroth Ship from the Dr Who story 'City of Death'
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I wonder what ship is the 'most revised' ...I know the the nostromo was redesigned (also renamed) several times....
I also remember there was a model of the 'snark' built, and some shots done, I seem to remember seeing the footage at some point.
Old 14-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks MkIXHAWK, I never saw that episode. As far as the "most revised" ship, the Millennium Falcon comes to mind. During pre-production that was going to be what became the Rebel Blockade Runner. Which is another ship that could be added to this list.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Thanks MkIXHAWK, I never saw that episode. As far as the "most revised" ship, the Millennium Falcon comes to mind. During pre-production that was going to be what became the Rebel Blockade Runner. Which is another ship that could be added to this list.

Joe

Well, let's see: there was the the joe Johnson version, the original falcon build, the rebuild as the runner, and then the MF we all know and love...that's 4 times.

The Nostromo was built as the snark, that was abandoned, then there were at least 5 versions of the model we saw on screen...and that doesn't include the refinery rebuilds. There was the 'smooth' version of the nostromo, the 'yellow' version, the version without the spires and antennae, the 'mothership' version (was heavily lit), and the final grey version. Probably other rebuilds I don't know about....
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Calamity Si
Chef

Hi Andrew,

I'm so glad I've finally found a forum where I an reach you! I've been trying on the web for a while now without much success..

I absolutely love the HMS Camden Lock! It must be one of my favourite ships, certainly from any British Sci-Fi. Right up there with Starbug for me!

I love the 'Gerry Anderson-esque' of British sci fi design and thought that the 'Lock' with it's familiar BT tower shape and references to the Blakes Seven's Liberator was right up there with the design classics. I'm currently re-creating the ship in Google Sketchup. It's basic so far -

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...6f87890ec0db20

I was wondering if you had any ortho's of the ship? I've bought the 'Hyperdrive' DVD and am using screen-grabs of the ortho pictures in Captain Henderson's office for reference. (BTW do you know what happened to those prints? And that nifty model that graced his desk?) I was going to try and buy a replica of the 'Spinning Betty' chair until I realised that it was based upon a chair called a 'Grand Repos'...which costs about 2 grand! Hmm..perhaps in another lifetime... Anyways I digress... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

CS
Calamity Si is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Calamity Si
Chef

Oh, also, I think these two recent additions to British Sci-Fi definately get my vote:
The Thrazymachus

and The S.S. Trojan
Calamity Si is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote