Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default prometheus

What did you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
clanger68
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurus View Post
What did you think?
I thought the design of the Prometheus ship was outstanding, practical and interesting to watch.

It seemed to owe it's lineage to Ron Cobb, Chris Foss and certainly looked like it came from the same stock as the Nostromo.

I thought the visual effects were extremely good, very grand and Space Opera, just as I was hoping.

In fact the films design was extremely good, visuals were top notch.

I thought David and Shaw were interesting characters, very well acted, strong, defined and intriguing.

I liked the Engineers.

I'm afraid to say I'm pretty much trying to forget the rest of the film.

My loss I guess as a lot of my friends loved it, I went in hoping to get a great big space romp. With Ridley Scott at the helm and all the hype that went with it I thought I would absolutely adore it.

I didn't, I probably need to see it again, it seemed very disjointed, jumping about quite a bit, characters and situations seemed a little haphazard.

I keep hearing that all will become clear and coherent in the directors cut, this seems a bit lame as surely nowadays the version we see at the cinema should be the Directors Cut.

Ah well..

What did you think Bill?

Cheers,

Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default *SPOILER ALERT*

I have just been to see this movie and was quite surprised. I liked the Ship designs, Prometheus especially. The other physical props looked good, the Engineers concept was very interesting. Visually it was the treat that was promised in the preamble, I did feel that the interior sets for Prometheus fitted the brief well and that was the only issue I had. Everything looked stylish in the set designs, it also looked like every other starship interior and this made it a bit bland. There was something about the David character that reminded me of Speilberg's A.I.

I was left wanting more in the storyline, sure there were moments that were pleasing, loved the face hugger evolution and the odd shock reveal but it wasn't "paced" enough with anything like the roller coster of action only being delivered at the very end during the crash and topple scene.

Highlights for me included:

The CGI universe in the Engineers control room, that was tremendous.

The large personnel carrier, that was worthy of Thunderbirds.

The Engineers skin textures and translucency was very effective.

The ascending Engineers Chair and preparations for flight.

Would love to know what you built for the film Bill, I looked for your credit but there was such a long list I missed it.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger68 View Post

I keep hearing that all will become clear and coherent in the directors cut, this seems a bit lame as surely nowadays the version we see at the cinema should be the Directors Cut.
What you saw was probably the real Directors cut. Ridley Scotts a big name and studios don't mess with him any more. "Directors Cut" is more a marketing term these days than anything else, or a way of saying "the film failed but it wasn't my fault"

In fact its very rare these days that a studio will go in and release a cut without the directors approval, even for violence and gore, as a rating is usually aimed for in advance.

Whats actually quite interesting at the moment is the state GI Joe 2 is in. Having to have a heavy reshoot as one of its supporting actors suddenly became famous...

Going back to topic, I really need to see the film, I don't like the way i hear It needs a sequel to explain itself. To me thats like painting half a picture then framing it...
ChrisofEDF is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

The problem was that it needed some script dioctoring...the characters did to many things that were unexplained, and made no sense in the context.

The behavior of the droid needed a lot of explanation, I wouldn't have made him as random as he appeared.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
The problem was that it needed some script doctoring...the characters did too many things that were unexplained, and made no sense in the context.

The behavior of the droid needed a lot of explanation, I wouldn't have made him as random as he appeared.
David's actions became clearer when it was revealed that Wayland was aboard and all his motivations were directed to bringing Wayland to the Engineers. Overall I thought David's character was good with one exception being the infection of a crew member, I didn't understand this as his motivation wasn't clear.

I think there were too many stereo typical characters, the heroic, cigar chomping action hero space captain and his loyal crew, the honourable scientists motivated by the best for humanity, well you get the idea. In some ways the characters didn't interact with each other enough to warm up the audience or even build the relationships with the other characters. There were obviously edits made to pace scenes or time keep the movie perhaps.

There was a lot of teasing and hinting at outcomes throughout the movie. At times I felt we deviated from the main story plot to include them and got lost.

The meat and potatoes for me was the model designs and effects work. Very happy the Engineer ship made a reappearance, it was such a strong design element in ALIEN. I really liked the environmental suits and the vehicles but for me the Prometheus was the main event. As soon as I can get enough reference I will build one, it was a great design.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Boys!
I thought Prometheus,was in general,Crap. Yes, liked the design of the title
ship (I believe Steve Berg was responsible) even though it was, for a prequel, far in
advance to the Nostromo. My main gripe is the script. Has there ever been such a group
of incompetent scientists portrayed on screen? ( Even in a 'B Movie ) Come on! 'Let's all
take our helmets off', 'that cobra type alien looks cute' ( Oh Shit! ) and 'I'm going to run
away from that falling spaceship in a straight line - so I can get flattened - and won't have to be in the sequel (God Forbid!)
I think the Design Team and Digital did a fine job - but of the rest? Well.......
To answer you're question Captain - My Team built 14 chairs for the Prometheus.
No Models.Hope Red Dwarf X makes up for that. At least it's intentionally funny.

Cheers, Bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

If I am honest I didn't want to upset the script writers, perhaps I should have said that and tried not to make lemonade eh?
Old 21-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

Well it doesn't come out in Japan until the latter part of August, but despite all the reviews I'm looking forward to it! I just know that visually it will be a treat.
Cool Caveman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I just wonder if it didn't seem to make sense because of cutting out too much?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Glazy
Medical Technician

I'm quite suprised at just how much smaller the Engineer is next to the original Space Jockey from Alien. In Alien they actually used down scaled spacesuits on children to make the set look bigger, from what I've seen of Prometheus, I haven't seen the movie, the Engineer who I assume is the same race as the Space Jockey looks around 7 feet in height. Plus personally I prefer the whole look of the jockey and the inside of the derelict from Alien more from a design,sculpting and lighting point of view.

Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
BertTheFlert
Waste Technician

"It seemed to owe it's lineage to Ron Cobb, Chris Foss and certainly looked like it came from the same stock as the Nostromo."

The flashy design seemed to be more expensive and derivative then interesting IMO.

There were more instances of blatant "homages" then anything inspired!

Nothing better then fancon could have done with a few bucks, ingenuity and love for the game.

Ridley has become a lazy, star vehicle driven money burner.

Script be damned!

I suppose that was really his own desired destiny from the start.

We'll still have his 3 struggling artist pieces, that changed the world.

Last edited by BertTheFlert; 24-07-2012 at 07:46 AM.
BertTheFlert is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Bert!
Take it ,that you didn't exactly like the film.I agree.
As for the Nostromo - we only ever followed Ron Cobb's designs.We didn't see anything
from Chris Foss.
Just heard today that a sequel has been greenlit.God help us.

Cheers, Bill.

Old 25-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

It was inevitable really Bill, spaceship blasts off to parts known with a redhead and a headless android, you can't make this stuff up.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I saw Prometheus tonight and I only can agree to Bill in every point. I have never seen so many stupid behaving human beings since a long time in a movie. Especially in a Science Fiction this isn't really smart. I did like the design of the hardware over all, but still can not believe that they still have glass helmets that can so easily break in the year 2050 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurus View Post
Hi Boys!
I thought Prometheus,was in general,Crap. Yes, liked the design of the title
ship (I believe Steve Berg was responsible) even though it was, for a prequel, far in
advance to the Nostromo. My main gripe is the script. Has there ever been such a group
of incompetent scientists portrayed on screen? ( Even in a 'B Movie ) Come on! 'Let's all
take our helmets off', 'that cobra type alien looks cute' ( Oh Shit! ) and 'I'm going to run
away from that falling spaceship in a straight line - so I can get flattened - and won't have to be in the sequel (God Forbid!)
I think the Design Team and Digital did a fine job - but of the rest? Well.......
To answer you're question Captain - My Team built 14 chairs for the Prometheus.
No Models.Hope Red Dwarf X makes up for that. At least it's intentionally funny.

Cheers, Bill.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I've just managed to see it. I liked it, but I felt it was fairly derivative.

--==## Warning : Spoilers ahead! ##==--

It seemed like they had cut their favorite scenes from all the previous films together. I know any film this deep into a 'franchise' is going to come with a lot of baggage, but they could have offloaded a bit. Some of it seemed very badly plotted, probably because of the cut-and-paste writing. For example, the obnoxious geologist with the mapping devices suddenly gets lost - eh? You have a high-tech mapping system, or did you forget? Never mind, why not bed down in the room everyone decided to leave due to it being full of dodgy canisters, then make friends with the snakes. Meanwhile Noomi Rapace, stapled up after fairly intrusive surgery, hares round the ship like a gazelle on ampetamines (hello? You've just had Surgery, FFS!) and then walks in on Weyland (surprise surprise) and no-one remarks on her being naked and covered in blood*, least of all her - "Scuse me bleeding on the Carpet, Dave, only I just gave birth to a retarded squid, the way you do...."

In summary, enjoyable but needed severe script / character pruning. Just too much squeezed in there at the moment.

(* : Yeah, I know : "We all start life the same way : Naked, covered in blood and screaming. But if you're Noomi Rapace, it doesn't have to end there."

Last edited by SteveDix; 16-08-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Tidied up, added spoiler warning.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Howard
Deputy Commander

You can read my review of Prometheus for Theaker's Quarterly Fiction, here:
http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co...heakers41.html
It's a free download of the UK based magazine.
It's a long review, but to sum it up I would say, Ridley used to have an almost OCD attention to detail regards film making. It seems with this film he has found a cure.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

So finally it came to Japan and I have just now got back from seeing it.

Considering how negative everything I've read about it is I was actually pleasantly surprised!

Sure, there was lots of implausibly stupid human behaviour, the script was a bit crap... and the characters and ending were too Hollywood for my liking etc, BUT... visually I thought it was BEAUTIFUL!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Caveman View Post
So finally it came to Japan and I have just now got back from seeing it.

Considering how negative everything I've read about it is I was actually pleasantly surprised!

Sure, there was lots of implausibly stupid human behaviour, the script was a bit crap... and the characters and ending were too Hollywood for my liking etc, BUT... visually I thought it was BEAUTIFUL!
GOOD FOR YOU gordon....that is my take on it! lol!

Last edited by deraenged; 01-09-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelin
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

Hi Phil!!
How are you?
It's been a HECK of a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
GOOD FOR YOU gordon....that is my take on it! lol!