Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Megamicrofish
Travel Tube Technician

Default Blakes 7 Re-Boot back on again

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/blakes-7...reboot-back-on

I hope this actually turns out to be true
Megamicrofish is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

If it goes through i hope they dont screw it up and above all chaps LEAVE THE LIBERATOR AS IT IS!!!
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
healvis
Communications Officer

Even if it goes through and they mess it up it still doesn't change anything. The original is forever etched in stone. I am coming to the conclusion that re-imagined ideas for old classics is a good thing as long as they show respect for the original.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
If it goes through i hope they dont screw it up and above all chaps LEAVE THE LIBERATOR AS IT IS!!!
Too right. I wonder if they want to do a reboot or a spin off?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

It will be a reboot otherwise they wont be able to use the Liberator and she is the heart of Blakes 7 in my opinion. I was never one for the Scorpio etc

Old 25-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I always thought the 4th season was an attempt to keep up with star wars...
Old 25-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
I am coming to the conclusion that re-imagined ideas for old classics is a good thing as long as they show respect for the original.
And there are two chances of that happening.

Fat chance
and
No chance.

American company producing it, don't expect much if it actually comes to pass at all. Look at the last British property to get that treatment.

Torchwood.

"Children of Earth" was the best of Torchwood. Adult themes, taking responsability for your actions, drugs, etc. It really was a true, grown-up Dr. Who. They finally got the purile idea of 'Adult', meaning 'let's have immaterial aliens that need to inhabit human bodies and make them have sex so they can feed off the energy', out of the show and found a proper adult theme.

Then they give it to the Americans and we end up with "Miracle Day". Best way of killing the series I could think of. Get everyone to go on about how Torchwood had finally found the way, and was now the best Dr. Who related series out there, then produce one of the worst years and make it less popular than "K-9"

Ok, the original B7 wasn't perfect. The Liberator had to go as it was supposedly the most powerful ship in the Federation and all it was ever used for was running away - except the odd story such as the attack on Earth to find the location of Star One that ended in the death of Gan, and the defence of Star One at the end of series 3.

I never could understand how, when they found the Liberator first, it was adrift with no crew on board having been in a space battle, yet had no damage, there was not even carbon scoring on it's hull and all systems were functioning normally.

They could have had a severely beaten up ship at the start which steadily improved as the show went on and auto-repair systems gained access to new systems or increased the capacity/efficiency of old ones. This could have been used to give the Federation a surprise every so often throughout the show, and led up to an almost completely functional ship by the events of "Star One". Which would also have allowed the writers to knock it back down again in the aftermath of the battle. Hence you keep the tension and excitement in the series without having most stories being a reasonably easy time for the Liberator crew.

Last edited by Conrad Turner; 25-07-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarity
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

In season 4 especially i couldnt figure out why Avon suddenly does a "Blake" and goes after the Federation. The old Avon would have gained the Photonic drive and been off. His quest for Blake seemed a bit on and off - i prefered the old analytical, cold Avon.
Old 25-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

Totally in accord with Mr. Turner.The American production will kill it.They don't understand the philosophy and irony the series destillated.Nowadays they don't have a Terry Nation between their ranks of writers/directors/producers.What's more,their once great creators as Spielberg seem set to destroy the classics(even their ones) for once a ever with their infamous "remakes".
For the sake of maintaining the quality of this production,let's hope that they'll give up.
Captain Cyan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
aggiev
Geological Technician

i'm conflicted about this. I agree it may well end up being awful, but it has the potential to be good.
aggiev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

I Think that isn't a question of potential,but of treatment,as you point out.Firefly the series it has potential too but the movie...
Old 26-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I think it would be possible to do a reboot/AND a remake at the same time...just takes writing.

Consider: Blake is dead...but which blake, the original or the clone?
Oh sure, servalan claimed he was dead...but the fact that at least one blake was alive proves she lied. Further, she never showed any proof of her contention in the first place. Would she lie? Gee, ya think?

In the last episode, we saw the crew shot down...but it has already been established that fed guns can stun, and often wound rather than kill.

So, if the crew was not actually killed dead, but memory wiped and then transported as common criminals...Blake could potentially be out there looking for them: after all, the events of the final episode proved that such was his tendency.

As to the Liberator, there were at least two of them built...there could just as easily have been three.

So, you could potentially have a similar situation as the beginning of the series, which would reboot the show and be a sequel at the same time.

On the other hand, blake was a rebel before he was on the liberator...a prequel perhaps?

Anyhow, whatever they do, let's just hope it doesn't get the THUNDERBIRDS treatment...or the awful STAR TREK movie shakeycam nonsense treatment, either.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 26-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

Like Buth Cassidy & The Sundance Kid classic western was,in a way Blake's 7 final,you´re right.A prequel will be,maybe,a little more complicated proposal,but feasible.And the treat they give to both classics is what worries us the most fellow forumners.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Ham,

You are indeed correct. Several pieces of fan fiction had Blake alive at the end of the events of "Blake" by substituting the real Blake for the clone one. (And who says there was only one clone Blake left alive, if Sevalan lied about blake being dead, maybe she lied about how many clone Blakes there were in the first place.)

However, it has also been long debated about the validity of that final scene. How many of the 'Federation troopers' in that final scene were using standard Federation weaponry? Could they not have been a collection of rebels that realised that Blake and the Liberator crew had become too much of a target for the Federation to ignore. Obviously they had been able to get uniforms, but not all of them had been able to get guns. They stun the crew in such a way that if anyone from Federation control watches the vid-tapes, they assume Blake and the crew are dead. Everyone stops looking for them, and they can advise the rebel group from behind the scenes.

And IF I recall correctly, there was at least 3 ships of Liberator's class. The start of season 2 the Liberator gets captured and returned to "The System", the original builders of the Liberator. During Blake's questioning, the Liberator is reffered to as "DSV2", presumably Deep Space Vehicle number 2. IF I'm correct, the 'sister ship' that gets destroyed is DSV3, which would leave at least DSV1 unaccounted for. Even if that is incorrect, and it was DSV1 that was destroyed by Orac, it is safe to postulate that the system had more DEEP SPACE vehicles than just the two anyway. Several more could have been travelling the galaxy at the time the System gets damaged/destroyed thanks to Orac's disruptive efforts.

Also, there is scope for a continuation from series 4.

What if the real Blake had been badly injured in an escape pod malfunction after the events of "Star One". It is not unreasonable that the clone Blake and Rashel that were looking after IMIPAK were keeping tabs on the activities of Blake and the Liberator crew, so they could have found and rescued him.

Now this is where it gets a little complicated. The 'clone' blakes were actually nothing of the sort, they were physical copies only and not made from his actual DNA, so a child of the clone Blake and Rashel would not have been Blake's child, but now they had the real blake, maybe they could have one using his actual DNA. Imagine this child grows up to parents who instill in him the reverence for the sanctity of life (From the clone Blake) and a hatred for the Federation which would come from his mother as she realises that she was a slave and no single being has the right to enslave another. The sanctity of life is paramount, but the federation does not care for life, does not respect life, does not cherrish life, and is attempting to subjugate all but the very few in positions of power within the federation.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
aggiev
Geological Technician

there is a fan project somewhere in which the Federation is expanding and some prisoners search for inspiration in the legends of Roj Blake and the Liberator from generations before..no returning characters but simila themes
aggiev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

Aye,aye sir.Mr.Turner,your precissions about the ship are correct and your proposals concerning a continuity very appealing and interesant,sir.Also de commentary of Aggiev about the fan project seems something worth the watching.
Thanks for your thoughts to you both.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
Flashheart
Weapons Technician

As a brit living in the states and therefore exposed first hand to US tv i am cringing about the 1999/UFO/Blakes 7 revivals that have been planned. The mindset in the states is so different that it just cannot work. If they try to make something gritty and dark they end up with the new Galactica which promised hard grit and delivered soft foam. Had people running around a different sector of the galaxy 40,000 years ago carrying Beretta 9mms and wearing Armani suits listening to Jimi Hendrix and finally having Baltar and Adama joking around together in the finale...Really? The person responsible for allowing the destruction of the colonies is now Adama's buddy? But anyway enough of that i get little worked up at times *L*. Suffice to say that while i would love to see all three shows redone and updated i would much rather see a good BBC adaptation than a Syfy channel dubious one.
Flashheart is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

As I've said before,and I know that I repeat myself often,any attempt of remake of a series or a movie gives me the creeps,specially if it's American.In you message that is stated,from my point of view,clearly.I agree with the latter part of ypur writting,let's hope and pray,
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cyan View Post
As I've said before,and I know that I repeat myself often,any attempt of remake of a series or a movie gives me the creeps,specially if it's American.In you message that is stated,from my point of view,clearly.I agree with the latter part of ypur writting,let's hope and pray,

Definitely. There's virtually no chance it'll turn out any good seeing as it's being made by US tv channel Sy Fy.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

It would not be hard to resurrect Blake's 7, even after the supposedly final scene...

scene 1 : preamble. Avon shoots Blake. Federation Guards enter and shoot everyone. Avon grins.
shots ring out.

scene 2 : Avon wakes up in a cell. The door opens. Avon squints into the light.
Enter Blake.

Blake: It was all a test, Avon, a test within a test, blah blah blah series 5 premise etc.

Comebacks have been based on less.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote