Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
ThomasModels
Alphan

Default Eagle Detailing Decals

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong section. Mod please resubmit where appropriate if needed.

I've just received Warp's GORGEOUS 12" Eagle Transporter kit. I cannot post enough praise how satisfied I am with the overall sculpt on this piece. If you're hesitating making the purchase, DON'T. You will not be disappointed!

As a decal designer and producer, the only thing I found lacking was a sparse decal sheet. After checking here and other places, it seems that no dedicated detailing decals for this or other scale Eagle kits are being produced. Having been a longtime fan of these craft, I would like to build this as fine as possible. (The boxart model was also gorgeous.) I would like to render a set that the modeler could 'wallpaper' the model with and build an even more attractive replica.

I know there were several miniatures built in a few scales for the show's production. My question is, is there a 'favored' or more desirable decorated version of one of the production models? Should the detailing decals reflect one or more of these models or perhaps be a conglomeration or interpretation of a perceived decoration?

Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
ThomasModels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Howard
Deputy Commander

Chris Trice used to produce a 'Technical Markings' decal sheet, for both the 22" and 44" Eagles. The sheets were very impressive, featuring all the markings used throughout the 44" Eagle 1 first season version.
These markings were mainly for the leg pods, command module and engine bottles - they did not however, include any coloured decals such as Alpha crests, spine stripes or rectangular orange engine bottle markings. Both sheets included ample markings - enough should the builder encounter tears or folds rendering the decal useless.
As I understand it, Chris used Dave Sisson's actual Eagle 1 44" filming model as reference to draw up these sheets.

However, some, if not all of these markings would be too small to reproduce for a 12" kit, I believe. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but the details are so small that to both apply and then see them once dry would require a magnifying glass. Chris's decals were also 'exact' in proportion to the areas they were meant for, for 22" and 44" versions - so if (and I'm not saying it is) an area on the Warp kit is not exact in proportion to other areas, then the decal could look odd.

From a personal point of view, decals for a 22" build would be ideal, as they really bring a model to life.
If you were to reproduce decals of a favoured 44" version, then I'd vote for the season 1 Eagle 1.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
ThomasModels
Alphan

I think you guys might have misunderstood what I was asking. It doesn't matter now because the layouts are done and the sheets available. My intent wasn't to layout another Eagle set of tiny shapes the modeler would have to place one tiny decal on at a time, but rather a sheet section that would cover the side of a pod for instance.

I've come up with a 2 - 8.5x11" decal sheet set. This set includes black nose markings, windows, fine line and technical markings for the pod and for all four landing leg pods. There are even an assortment of color striping to apply to the central cabin if desired.

These decals are strong and durable and require no top coating. Just cut them out and apply. These 2 sheets fit the 11" WARP kit and sell for $15 plus shipping.

http://www.thomasmodels.com/webstuff...taildecals.JPG
Old 29-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

And let me add Tom does some fantastic work on decals. Many of my kits currently have decals he designed back when we were working on UFO:1999. Tom, you ought to offer those SHADO decals as well...those are amazing!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
gmcsierraclassic
Travel Tube Technician

I may be clumsy, but I don't get to the page where to order the decal sheets on thomasmodels.com. I get a forbidden screen....Is it me?
gmcsierraclassic is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
ghighino
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
And let me add Tom does some fantastic work on decals. Many of my kits currently have decals he designed back when we were working on UFO:1999. Tom, you ought to offer those SHADO decals as well...those are amazing!
Oh really?? I'd be very interested! May I have more details?
Thanks,
Stefano
ghighino is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasModels View Post
I think you guys might have misunderstood what I was asking. It doesn't matter now because the layouts are done and the sheets available. My intent wasn't to layout another Eagle set of tiny shapes the modeler would have to place one tiny decal on at a time, but rather a sheet section that would cover the side of a pod for instance.

I've come up with a 2 - 8.5x11" decal sheet set. This set includes black nose markings, windows, fine line and technical markings for the pod and for all four landing leg pods. There are even an assortment of color striping to apply to the central cabin if desired.

These decals are strong and durable and require no top coating. Just cut them out and apply. These 2 sheets fit the 11" WARP kit and sell for $15 plus shipping.

http://www.thomasmodels.com/webstuff...taildecals.JPG
Hi Thomas,

Are these water slide, rub down or vinyl stickers?
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Water slide.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Puffy_Shirt
Medical Technician

I'm interested!
Puffy_Shirt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
ThomasModels
Alphan

Hi Guys,

They are water slide, 2 sheets of 8.5" x 11" in size. They come bagged with illustrated placement instructions. Immediately after I finished these another project came right up with an immediate deadline. The Eagle Detailing Decals are done. I will make an online order page using PayPal to move a few of these before I send them to my distributor and post a link here.

Thanks!

Old 16-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
kerimis
Geological Technician

Hello. Can you send a clear photo of the 2 decal sheets and what details are consists..;
Thanks
kerimis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I used to deal with ordering from Thomas Models myself,long ago.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote