Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Default DREDD

Just caught the movie - wow definately uses its 18 rating
for violence and real swearing not a Drokk to be heard
Start shows its lack of budget with normal looking vehicles and
normal clothing but once it gets in the Peach Tree block it is
completly DREDD
Urban is great and Stallone is forgotten
As usual though not sure it required to be in 3D
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

There's one main reason everything is in 3-d at the moment. It makes it extremely difficult to pirate by smuggling a camera into the cinema.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Would really like to see this but I absolutely loath 3D.
The 20% darker picture is like watching the movie through a gauze filter, plus to me the picture is more like a multi-layered 'lenticular' card with no real depth perception just one layer on top of another.

The last movie I saw in 3d was Tim Burtons 'Alice in Wonderland' and when the characters went down the hole you couldnt tell what the hell was going on!

I will always watch the 2D version when its available but it looks like because of this being low budget the haven't made any 2D prints (at least none of the 4 cinemas in my area have one).

My local 'Empire' has a screen called 'IMPACT' which has a bigger, brighter and altogether better presentation of a movie than standard. You pay slightly more but its on a par with the 3D prices but you get a better viewing experience and no gimmicks.

I may end up having to catch this on Blu Ray which is a shame as I believe that you should see a movie first in the enviroment it was originally designed for and I want this to be a success so that we may at some stage see a sequel featuring the dark Judges.

Rant over...
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

i have seen the trailer for the new Dredd on youtube , i will wait for a 2d dvd release to watch the full version tho !

as i sit here i have issue 1800 of 2000ad weekly comic in front of me , i subscibe to the weekly comic get it thru the post etc

i started reading 2000ad at issue 5 back in 1977 , issue 5 had a cover of judge dredd on his motorbike on a motorway intersection fighting a huge robotic king kong , pretty iconic , and it caught me eye as a 8 year old back in 1977 , i bought issue 5 , and every issue since , they are all here stored in my house in the attic :-)

mucho thrill power !!!

i am now 43 , married , 2 kids and i still read 2000ad , and love Judge Dredd !

we could discuss JD movies at length and in detail , the Stallone movie was a travesty on so many levels imo !

The new Dredd for me , has serious issues from the start , mainly the uniform and motorbike are not correct to the comic , and thats like having spiderman , and giving him wings , if you can't or won't make the character the character from the comic in terms of his uniform and equipment , eg guns , motorbike etc , then frankly why bother !

the mega city in the trailer is south africa-esque and not mega city 1 usa , from comics , thats bad too , very obvious in trailer , so another bad point , cries of WTF abound !!

To me the best Dredd to movie imo will be the fan based JUDGE MINTY ,see youtube trailer

Judge Minty will be a retiring judge in proper uniform , taking the long walk into the cursed earth , it is true to the comic stories , uniform etc , i believe Dredd makes appearance as a fellow judge in the Minty story line .

Rant over - lol :-)

Roger

Last edited by Roger3d; 09-09-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: coz i can't type or spell !
Roger3d is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger3d View Post
i started reading 2000ad at issue 5 back in 1977 , i bought issue 5 , and every issue since , they are all here stored in my house in the attic :-)

And a serious fire hazard / problem with collapsing bedroom ceilings....

Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
Would really like to see this but I absolutely loath 3D.
The 20% darker picture is like watching the movie through a gauze filter, plus to me the picture is more like a multi-layered 'lenticular' card with no real depth perception just one layer on top of another.

The last movie I saw in 3d was Tim Burtons 'Alice in Wonderland' and when the characters went down the hole you couldnt tell what the hell was going on!
I hated Tim Burton's "Alice". It bored me rigid. Halfway through I took off the 3D glasses. It was a triumph of style versus content.

The "lenticular" look is largely due to post-processing 3D, where they have converted a 2D Movie to 3D. Proper 3d shot with 3d cameras looks a lot better. "Prometheus" was filmed as 3D from the outset, for example, whilst "Clash of the Titans" was converted into 3d.

It's also harder to casually pirate a movie by taking a camera into the cinema, if it's in 3D.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
And a serious fire hazard / problem with collapsing bedroom ceilings....
no worries , that part of the attic is a boarded storage platform , so appropriately strengthened to take the weight of Judge Dredds chin over all these long years

as for fire , the wife and kids can jump from the bedroom windows , as i will be off to the attic with a hose and fire blanket to protect my 2000ad collection

you must get your priorities right in life , a man and his comic collection and toys may not be parted !

:-P

Last edited by Roger3d; 09-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
Just caught the movie - wow definately uses its 18 rating
for violence and real swearing not a Drokk to be heard
Start shows its lack of budget with normal looking vehicles and
normal clothing but once it gets in the Peach Tree block it is
completly DREDD
Urban is great and Stallone is forgotten
As usual though not sure it required to be in 3D
Based on your review it is a must see for me.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Ther are some good nods to the comic hidden in the graffiti and the comic language is in there with meat wagons resyce cubes and juves so it has a lot of pluses AND he keeps the helmet on and doesn't distract from his performance
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
i have seen the trailer for the new Dredd on youtube , i will wait for a 2d dvd release to watch the full version tho !

as i sit here i have issue 1800 of 2000ad weekly comic in front of me , i subscibe to the weekly comic get it thru the post etc

i started reading 2000ad at issue 5 back in 1977 , issue 5 had a cover of judge dredd on his motorbike on a motorway intersection fighting a huge robotic king kong , pretty iconic , and it caught me eye as a 8 year old back in 1977 , i bought issue 5 , and every issue since , they are all here stored in my house in the attic :-)

mucho thrill power !!!

we could discuss JD movies at length and in detail , the Stallone movie was a travesty on so many levels imo !

The new Dredd for me , has serious issues from the start , mainly the uniform and motorbike are not correct to the comic , and thats like having spiderman , and giving him wings , if you can't or won't make the character the character from the comic in terms of his uniform and equipment , eg guns , motorbike etc , then frankly why bother !

the mega city in the trailer is south africa-esque and not mega city 1 usa , from comics , thats bad too , very obvious in trailer , so another bad point , cries of WTF abound !!

To me the best Dredd to movie imo will be the fan based JUDGE MINTY ,see youtube trailer

Judge Minty will be a retiring judge in proper uniform , taking the long walk into the cursed earth , it is true to the comic stories , uniform etc , i believe Dredd makes appearance as a fellow judge in the Minty story line .

Rant over - lol :-)

Roger
Hate to be critical , but when will people cotton on that what works in one medium ( in this instance comics) doesn't always translate to another ( such as movies ) ? I agree that in the past , producers changed details ( such as costumes etc.) because of their lack of faith and indeed , understanding of what made the original subject matter "great" , but ( from what I've seen and read ) the writers and producers of this particular film seem to be genuine fans of Dredd and his "world" , changing some details because ( as mentioned above) of budget and in an attempt for the characters, story etc . to be taken seriously and not as a "gimmicky Sci-Fi" property . I'll be honest , when I first saw elements of the production design , I was less than optimistic (the ONLY thing the Stallone fiasco got right was the "look" of the Mega City ), but I AM warming to it . Don't condemn a film "sight unseen" just because it doesn't "match up" to what you have in your head . And as for the 3D , I believe that nowadays , an SF film has to "tow the line" to get any sort of decent budget . At least with "Dredd" , the production team have at least tried to justify the 3D by using the "Slo-Mo" drug as a major plot device . ( For the record , I'll always pick the 2D option , but in this case there ISN'T one , so I'll have to bite the bullet !
( Seriously though , if you want to see a sequel , then films need to be supported at the cinema . Fact. )
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Having seen the trailers for Dredd on youtube , and Judge Minty on youtube , personally i prefer the authentic look of the uniform and equipment in the Minty production .

If Dredd now , had of used the authentic uniform and motorbike , and the look of mega city 1 from the stallone effort , for me the look and feel would have been perfect !

having watched the dredd trailer it looks quite good , but the nagging issues of uniform and city overshadow it for me , as i said before its a watch of Dredd for me on dvd release for sure :-)

To make a dredd movie you have 35 years of awesome dredd stories form the comics to inspire a plot , u have awesome pre drawn sci fi city , and world with its history , u have the technology of vehicles , weapons etc etc

there really is no reason other than to do it properly , proper visuals ,proper city , proper tech , and sure use cgi alot if it cuts costs to produce !

the only concession to dredd in a movie contrasted from what is in the comics i would make , is that dredd used to draw his gun / pistol from a holster on his boots , not very practical for an actor to physicially do , and convey a clint eastwood esque gunfight draw of his weapon in a firefight with the baddies , for this reason i would definately allow a holstering of his gun on his waist utility belt , but apart from that , the uniform is iconic and works and should be in movie correct , i mean seriously how can he be dredd and not have his eagle shoulder pad , thats WTF in itself !

The Stallone uniform was not original or correct either , it was a redesign , why ?, it was pointless !

For me new Dredd movie i am sorry to say is not 100% dredd it falls short for the reasons above purely in my opinion !

Roger :-)

Last edited by Roger3d; 11-09-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
yorkie
Geological Technician

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was great. The lower budget doesn't help in the outdoor scenes with contemporary vehicles as mentioned above, and the bikes are a bit rubbish, but once inside the tower it's excellent. Some grim humour - e.g. the vagrant and the door (won't spoil it). And I thought rookie Judge Anderson was spot on too. The model effects are very good. Took my 3D glasses off now and again and noticed it wasn't all 3D. If there's a sequel I hope they can beef up MegaCity 1 and put in some futuristic vehicles.
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Howard
Deputy Commander

I'm off to see it on Sunday, with two guys familiar with Joe Dredd - having read 2000A.D. from the onset (I can be included with them) and one that's just there for the movie, although he is a SF / Sci Fi fan.
A few preliminary thoughts:
There's no such thing as the perfect or 'proper' Dredd - do you prefer the Bolland take on the costume, which came after the Ezquerra art from issue 2? Or any of the other artists which wove their own designs into the Dredd mythology?
Certainly, the Stallone version nailed Mega City 1 - just compare it to any artist's version - but where Stallone's version failed was cramming too much in and Dredd removing his helmet.
From what I've seen and read (just stills and a few reviews / general film mags and genre alike) Urban, due to his awareness of the character has hit the nail on the head.
Mega City 1 doesn't look right at all - but I don't believe that's down to budget, but rather a matter of choice by the film makers.
Of course the medium can translate - Watchmen proved that, as did Superman back in 1979 - but from a single person's perspective regards this or any other character it's simply that, and the film maker will never be able to cater for every reader of the comic.
For me, I'm just going to take from it what I can - perhaps a little nod here and there to the comic readers, amid catering for the general movie going public - which, in essence, are the majority regards any film.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Stallone's version failed for the following reasons

- now Stallone said he had read alot of the comics and done alot of research , i think he must have been reading " my little pony " comics instead !

here are a few of the cockups

- JD is a human with an iconic uniform spanning 35 years of adventures , he does not remove his helmet , and he certainly does not run about wearing a cami t-shirt , pretending to be Rab C Nesbit , for the duration of his adventures !

- jd does not kiss or fall in love with female judges , in fact jd probly does not masturbate , if he does , its via a masturbation machine , becoz judges use sleep machines to give them accelerated sleep , so they can return to the streets quicker for duty etc , and sexual relations between judges gets u shipped off to Titan , Moon of Saturn for 20 years hard labour , and your face get surgically changed , so your mouth and nose can breath titan atmosphere , not a pretty image , and depicted in detail in various story lines !

Judges are judged by the judges police , the SJS , think gestapo , and they are severely punished for transgressions , hence Titan !

- JD does not have some Abbot and Costello type side kick in which to trade humour with

- the stallone movie killed off and bastardised a number of historic characters within the film , which were equally iconic and canon or folklore to the stories in the comics , the Angel gang springs to mind , along with the Judges council of five characters , and they snuck in an ABC warrior , Hammerstein totally out of context !

There are many many other issues , basically it was a travesty ! - only the visual look of the city Mega city 1 was true to the comic , particular note is the end scene with jd on bike with city scape horizon at end of movie , a good visual !

Stallones bike and uniform were wrong , they even span off a new movie comic aimed at a younger audience , not 2000ad , which failed miserably after a few issues , i wonder why ?

Going back to Dredd in comic , and the dredd movie now , i know Urbans uniform is based on body armour , but i don't like it , or his bike , they could have easily used the comic uniform and enhanced it with appropriate body armour , kept the shoulder pad eagle , and it could have been practical to wear and film in , and looked awesome i feel !

Urban's new jd bike , looks like a sinclair C5 electic trike , compared to the proper JD bike in comic , the Judge Minty effort has a proper awesome jd bike , maybe they should have asked to borrow it ?

The thing that really pisses me off about JD in the movies , is that why do they always have to sell him out ?

if i was the creator of JD or any I.P , and someone approached me to do a movie off my creation , i would insist they do it right or send them packing , by right means u give him the correct look uniform and bike and city that should be the bare minimum !

u can run with 35 years of stories, rich canon or folklore to inspire you , but please don't bastardise it by killing off characters , putting them in out of context and materially changing the nature of the man and the character , eg stallone did !

Remember JD is a hard ass human being in an iconic uniform , he has bionic eyes , due to the dark judges burning out his real ones , he has recently been cloned , so u have a younger clone version of him also running around the city called Rico . they have recently missioned together out in the cursed earth , JD is being cloned to enable the city to always have a JD on duty in the future ,even after his death in the future ?

There are so many cool stories you could do with Dredd too , the new film 200 levels of skyscraper to conquer is hardly original in a movie , die hard or others sprIng to mind , they could have done the sov wars , dark judges , call me kenneth robot uprising , cursed earth adventures all sorts of stuff - sheesh !

Urban don't look much like jd either , as we now know what Jd looks like under helmet , thanks to the origins story line , which showed where Jd came from after the fall of the usa presidential system leading to the mega city creations etc etc

Jd is a clone of Fargo , Fargo has been visualised in comic , and Urban is not a good JD likeness

I will finish my piece by saying that Danny Cannon the guy behind the Stallone Dredd movie , was a life long 2000AD fan and reader , when he was young he submiited a poster to 2000ad and won a competition to design a poster for a 2000ad movie , this was back in the 70's i remember it etc , its a travesty that Cannon sold out to make the abyssmal Stallone Dredd movie , i have always thought that guy should have been hung drawn and quartered for that reason alone - lol

Mega rant over )

Last edited by Roger3d; 12-09-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: i am the law :-)
Old 13-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I think what they've done in the new film is to take a 'real' approach to it. In a comic you can get away with massive eagles on your shoulder, bikes with 20" wide tyres and the like.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

if you check out the Batman movie motorbike , google it , it had big jd bike tyres , and that movie had a real feel to it !

the eagle shoulder pad , is not that massive . its a shoulder pad with a function , one presumes its bullet proof , kevlar or some sci fi material to give jd some protection etc ?

Judges uniforms are also a form of intimidation to the general populous of mega city 1 , a judge is visible , to say don't do the crime punk , or u know whats coming , instant execution etc !

Urban's costume is body armour - riot policeman esque , but its certainly not intimidating imo , he looks like a body armoured traffic warden at best in the trailer

visually he comes across as a poor dredd to me !

Last edited by Roger3d; 13-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 13-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Urban don't look much like jd either , as we now know what Jd looks like under helmet , thanks to the origins story line , which showed where Jd came from after the fall of the usa presidential system leading to the mega city creations etc etc
ISTR one of the few times Dredd took his helmet off, Brian Bolland drew him to look like Rondo Hatton, although the plot explained Dredd had had a "New-U" face alteration.

I think one of the big problems of Judge Dredd being translated to the screen is the fact that it's a very British satire of America, and the general sense of humour is extremely black, which doesn't translate well. One of the big problems I had with adjusting to living in Germany is that the UK sense of humour is very dark, and can be considered sick by other english-speaking nations (eg South Africans) let alone by the Germans themselves. I'm wondering what they're going to make of Dredd. He's a bit too close to the mettle for them.
Old 13-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
if you check out the Batman movie motorbike , google it , it had big jd bike tyres , and that movie had a real feel to it !

the eagle shoulder pad , is not that massive . its a shoulder pad with a function , one presumes its bullet proof , kevlar or some sci fi material to give jd some protection etc ?

Judges uniforms are also a form of intimidation to the general populous of mega city 1 , a judge is visible , to say don't do the crime punk , or u know whats coming , instant execution etc !

Urban's costume is body armour - riot policeman esque , but its certainly not intimidating imo , he looks like a body armoured traffic warden at best in the trailer

visually he comes across as a poor dredd to me !
I think you're right - but 'feel' doesn't come from production design on its own, so while I'd like to see a Lawmaster as seen in the comics, not doing so isn't a deal breaker concerning the whole feel of the movie for me.

Bolland's Eagle shoulder pad - in fact the whole uniform, pads, boots helmet were much larger that what had been drawn before. It all depends on which version you're thinking of when saying it's not that big, as you've (with respect) not mentioned a comparison.

I'm not sure a Judge's uniform is for intimidation - more like identification amid the mad fashions of the city. As much as our police uniforms set them apart from the public, as they have no fashion identity and have remained almost identical over many decades.

I think the essential elements for Dredd are maintained in Urban's costume, and are far removed from a traffic warden - although I've not seen a Mega City 1 traffic warden.

My take on the uniform? Well he's certainly a Judge, that goes without saying - the majority of the essential elements are there. I'm not for one minute saying it's perfect, but again, it goes without saying everyone that has a affectionate knowledge of Dredd will not see eye to eye regards his overall look.
I think in essence it's the character of Dredd that sets him apart from the others around him, and not the uniform - or lack of detail that defines him as such in some people's eyes.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Hmmm, fascinating discussion, read the comic, when I was kid- thought it was really cool, take the comments on the Stallone film- though I liked the visuals. Caught the trailer on YouTube- interesting - though cant stand the weak 'Snake Pliskin-eske' vocal!
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
tastic1
Geological Technician

I always thought all the design work on Dredd in the comics was dreadful from the silly big boots to the Fred Flintstone type bikes..
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote