Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Default what size tubing should you use on the airfix eagle?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the right size tubing should be used to rebuild the spine and cage frame for the old airfix eagle? I purchased 1/16 x .014 1.57mmx.355mm and 3/32 x .014 2.38.. x .355mm but am not sure if the 3/32 x .014 is too big for the frame work? Any advise would be appreciated.
Best Regards,
Chris
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

wow glad to see I am not the only one not sure what size tubes to use.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

To be honest, the Airfix Eagle is so inaccurate I don't believe many people actually build it.

Best with a Warp Eagle which is far closer to the original. I suppose sizes could be taken from the Warp frame to determine what's needed...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

I'm just making a guess on the right tubing to use and gong with it. I know people give the old airfix Eagle a bad rap. course so did spielberg on the original shark used in jaws. only to later say it was not as bad as he made it out to be. But I will say on behalf of the old model, it has it's flaws yes. in honesty what model kit does not? but it did for all intense and purpose look like an Eagle. And at the time the kit was out that was all that was available. and if u wanted an Eagle that is what you made due with. Now then. is it 100%? No, yet it does have a few important features. One the nose cone is hallow, which means once you take the time to open the view ports , you can detail the cockpit with seats and pilots. cut away the flat backing and give it the round back it should have and it does look like an Eagle command module. The landing pads, yes they are wrong but with sanding and a few new parts made they can be used. Same goes for the landing pods, and most important the engine cones and fuel canisters. yes you will have to modify them and add detailing. But that is after all what modeling is. But all these parts lend themselves to kit conversion, or available to make your own 12 inch scratch build using plastic card stock, and brass tubing. So give the old kit some credit, No it will never be a perfect replica of the studio models, but it does lend it's self to those of us out here too poor to buy the other 12 inch kits available out there. Is the old kit top of the line, state of the art, perfection? no but to be honest with you, I would rather sail on the old grand Queen Mary 1, then one of these so called state of the art liners of today. yet many out there would call her an old rust bucket and not worth it either. but to me it would still be worth it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

And let's face it, the Eagle kit made it's way into many other filming miniatures.

"Starcrash", "Captain Kremmen" (the original Kenny Everett Video Show segments) The BBC Vogon ship, and many others.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

don't remember ever seeing them in these?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3 View Post
don't remember ever seeing them in these?
The Vogon ship used the leg pods on its antenna mast. The "Murray Leinster" from "Starcrash" was basically a box with Eagle and Saturn 5 parts all over it, including the nosecone and the passenger pod. The Kremmen ship (blink and you would miss it) had the engines on it. (By the Kremmen ship I mean the brief model shot that introduced the segment, not the animation)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

that's just sacriledge
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
EddieL
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
And let's face it, the Eagle kit made it's way into many other filming miniatures.

"Starcrash", "Captain Kremmen" (the original Kenny Everett Video Show segments) The BBC Vogon ship, and many others.
Not to mention Battlestar Galactica!

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

and quite a bit in Blake's 7, as well.

Old 15-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

I am really starting to wonder if it would not just be a better idea to gather the parts now that I cut up my old airfix Eagle and just toss them. I am seeing more and more problems trying to rebuild this kit. just not sure if I should even try anymore.
Old 17-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Just started putting together the frames. I found gorilla glue really works nice to hold the aluminum tubes together. looking foreword to this now.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
mw12
Geological Technician

If you're thinking of throwing out your old Airfix model bits, I'd be happy to give them a new home! I still have a soft spot for them.

Last edited by mw12; 17-10-2012 at 10:48 PM.
mw12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

since I found this super glue from gorilla glue I am looking foreword to rebuild it now.