SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Default To weather, or not to weather?

Hello All,

I was wondering on your opinions of weathering of the Eagle. As in should it be weathered, or not weathered? if weathered how would you suggest weathering it? I have seen where some modelers have dry brushed the Eagle in light patches of what looks like grimey black. how would you weather her?
And if not weathered, would flat coat be best to take a new paint job look off the model? what are your thoughts?

Regards,
Chris
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
mw12
Geological Technician

There are many different techniques, but one that I've found useful if applying decals, is to paint gloss white first (the decals adhere better to gloss surfaces), apply decals, then paint a matt clear coat over the top. A variation is to paint gloss first, apply decals, apply a gloss clear coat, and lastly apply the matt clear coat. Then you can apply the weathering effects.

I think a light weathering effect, combined with panel colouring detail, helps to give an authentic look, and helps avoid a"toylike" appearance.
mw12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

I personally prefer waiting until I have actually built the model and see then what I think it needs, or what it 'says' to me. Otherwise, it's kind of like choosing wallpaper before you have the foundations of your house laid...

EDIT: I just re-read this post and I am genuinely sorry if it sounded tetchy...I certainly didn't mean it to be. I was honestly just talking about how I personally approach a build is all

Last edited by Darren Robertson; 18-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
I'm not sure how much weathering happens if any, in space - I wonder how many times they've cleaned the outside the space station......
I can answer that - you do get weathering in space, but not the sort you'd easily see. The ISS is covered in anti-meteoroid blankets, which are made of ceramic cloth and kevlar fabric, designed to slow down about 99% of micro-meteoroids. A number of these blankets were replaced last August. Because of constant micrometeoroid erosion, painted surfaces and shiny metal surfaces become "sandblasted", and observation ports gradually get more opaque :

Here's some interesting reading on the subject.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
BenLennon
Hydroponics Technician

Well, that's really going to ruin the look if we have to cover all our Eagles with quilted padding - it'll look like a duvet party.
BenLennon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLennon View Post
Well, that's really going to ruin the look if we have to cover all our Eagles with quilted padding - it'll look like a duvet party.
But it does open the market for stuffed Eagle plush toys.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
BenLennon
Hydroponics Technician

I like your thinking - Beanie Eagles!
BenLennon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

yes I hate a toy like appearance on a model. yeah the Eagle would not look good covered in padding. but beanie eagles would be wicked, with a small beanie moon.
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
headcase
Astrophysics Technician

Comparing the Eagle to the ISS has some merit, however, bear in mind that there's a BIG difference between a prisitine vaccuum in low earth orbit and the surface of the moon. During Apollo, the lunar dust proved to be so pervasive and clingy (due to its' electrostatic charge) that in several cases it rendered equipment inoperable. I fully intend to weather my Eagle to show some dust clinging to it, as well as some thermal effects from the unfiltered sun and the rocket engines.
headcase is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Howard
Deputy Commander

Chris, don't use paint.
Avoid washes.
Use graduated charcoal sticks - they range from white to black with greys in-between.
I use these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jakar-12-C...item5aeae1c8b1
The scale of your Eagle will determine the grey you use, and how many different shades.
These can be scraped with a blade to produce a fine powder which can be applied with a brush.
On a flat or matt paint surface, the tiny particles will stick into the rough surface of the paint finish. Matt paint can then be buffed with a damp kitchen roll to flatten the paint down and produce a 'satin' effect, which when mixed with charcoal powder can produce some really excellent effects.
Charcoal powder can also be washed off with water - or mixed with a little water can produce a wash.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
headcase
Astrophysics Technician

Yep - pastels are great! I just started using them this year and you can do stuff with them that you can't do with paint, plus they have the added bonus that if you screw it up (as I so often do) you can wipe it off and start over again.
headcase is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote