Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Original B7, Blake's gun

Hi guys,

Here's Blake's gun from the last episode of season 4 of Blake's 7, indeed the very last episode !!!

The gun is mainly made up from one of the Star Wars Stormtrooper rifle toys available at that time.
In the show, Blake has to fire 3 times, one after the other, so there are 3 switchs... the main one and 2 others.
The charge mounts have been cut out, the wires are all still visable down the barrel.
There was another bit on the front end in the location shots, but not in studio...

This is another one of Bill Pearson's quick makes !!!
If your on Bill, give us a shout !!!

Hope you enjoy.

Andy H.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 13-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.
MoonbaseAlpha is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

What's a "Star Wars"? It'll never catch on ...

Great photos Andy!! Thanks for putting them up for us.

A question for either you or Bill - How were the charges actually fixed in place?
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

You know, andy somehow has all the cool stuff...dunno how he does it, but he does it.

Say,
I wonder if he could tell me where the clipgun scope mount can be got from?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
You know, andy somehow has all the cool stuff...dunno how he does it, but he does it.

Say,
I wonder if he could tell me where the clipgun scope mount can be got from?
Hi Ham,
Andy worked for Visual Effects at the BBC, right place at the right time is how he does it.

I am sure if he could remember where he bought the clip gun scope mount he would tell you, after all you have asked so politely in almost every post you have made....
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

.....keep trying Ham, all things come to those who wait!
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hi Ham,
Andy worked for Visual Effects at the BBC, right place at the right time is how he does it.

I am sure if he could remember where he bought the clip gun scope mount he would tell you, after all you have asked so politely in almost every post you have made....
Well, you know, I'm sure he has a lot on his mind...maybe he might say, " Oh yes, I never answered that one, did I?".

I only have to win once.

By the bye, I there are now a couple of shots of my 1987 build of the item in question, if you look at those you can see why I'd love to have the info i'd need to make a more accurate one. I was quite reticent about posting those, considering the poor results....

Last edited by Ham Salad; 14-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Sarah.1981
Alphan

Andy, are you the guy that bought a section of Moonbase Alpha from a guy in Blackpool?
Sarah.1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yes I did buy that biulding...
God thats years ago...
Old 14-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

The thing that I dig, is that Andy was clearly a fan, and still is, and it's good that these are the sort of people who get to create the programmes we love. Was this true of the whole department, or were there those who felt they were wasting their skills?
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Smile

and i'm the BLACKPOOL guy you bought it off am i not? lol!
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Well in truth it was about 50/50 really although it wasn't the done thing to say you were a SciFi fan.

You have to remember the department was full of very talented people.
All of course had their own speciality, whether it be engineering, sculpting pyrotechnics or model/prop bulding.

You would think that they would pick the best person for a particular job, but that wasn't the way that the BBC worked. Each person was supossed to be able of doing all fields.
You were allocated a job just on the basis on who was free, thats why some SciFi models/props didn't quite look right, wear as others looked stunning because the right person just happened to get the job.

It could be quite daunting if you were asked to do something that wasn't really your field, but the nice thing was the workshop was open plan, so we were all in the same large room, so you could always pop over and talk to someone and get advise, but you still had to do it...

I actually quite liked the way things worked because you got to do a really wide variety of things, you may be did Top of the Pops one day, then next day you would be on a drama doing rain or fire/bangs...

I have to say though what got me into doing it was programmes like Space 1999, Doctor Who and Blake's 7.

Andy H.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 14-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Phil,

I did get Alpha from you yes.
I have a feeling the person was talking about the seed tray building from season 2.
I had that one too.
He won it in a competion on a TV programe.

Andy H.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 14-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
The thing that I dig, is that Andy was clearly a fan, and still is, and it's good that these are the sort of people who get to create the programmes we love.

Here in the US you pretty much had to hide it: I remember people being fired off jobs because they innocently let slip that watched SF movies or collected things...you had to pretend that all you cared about was you own part of the the job, and not at all what the production was about. If they got the idea you were a fan, they had contempt for you, they called people who actually watched the show 'peasants' or 'suckers'.

Then again, working in show biz has always been a mine field, it so much about how people feel about you rather than anything substantive. There was a guy I worked for as a prop subcontractor recently, I built a prop that was brought in by another guy...this guy went off on me because I praised the film I worked on (it was HIS FILM). Apparently, he had no respect for people who liked his films....

There's no pleasing some people.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 14-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
clanger68
Computer Technician

Again fantastic item Andy, and again really appreciate you sharing the photos and information.

It might be one of Bill Pearsons 'quick makes' but it's a great use of an existing item, suited Blake's bounty hunter persona as well.

So glad it has survived for over 30 years for us to enjoy today.

Great suff.

Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Andy!
That Prop was a long time ago ( in a Galaxy Far Far Away - considering it's origins!)
Brief: Gun for Blake.Fires 3 times.You've got 1 day to make! The priority was the pyros.I used the tried and tested technique (on Blake's 7, anyway) of connecting femails to a 9v battery, and then the male jackplugs could be inserted per take. The charges were - 1 matchead fuse, fine black powder, and a little titanium or magnesium - to give a flash.This was sealed in the plug with a covering of black pvc tape. The switches were always momentary - never latching - to avoid accidental ignition.
Thanks for the memories, Cheers, Bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurus View Post
Hi Andy!
That Prop was a long time ago ( in a Galaxy Far Far Away - considering it's origins!)
Brief: Gun for Blake.Fires 3 times.You've got 1 day to make! The priority was the pyros.I used the tried and tested technique (on Blake's 7, anyway) of connecting femails to a 9v battery, and then the male jackplugs could be inserted per take. The charges were - 1 matchead fuse, fine black powder, and a little titanium or magnesium - to give a flash.This was sealed in the plug with a covering of black pvc tape. The switches were always momentary - never latching - to avoid accidental ignition.
Thanks for the memories, Cheers, Bill.

What was used for igniter? Model rocket igniter?

I assume they weren't loaded until AFTER the gun was drawn, to avoid the 'logans run' ignition?
Old 15-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #17
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

As Bill said, a matchead pyro fuse is used to ignite the black powder.
The reason they are called matchead is because the end looks a bit like the head of a match with 2 wires coming out the back, they can be fired with 6v upwards.
These are the standard to ignite most pyros.

Andy H.
Old 15-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
What was used for igniter? Model rocket igniter ?
I have (in the past) had "fun" with model rocket engines (the ones made by Estes). There was quite a time lag (up to one or two seconds?) between pressing the button and ignition. I would imagine that using the "proper" gear (pyro fuses), the time between "click" and "whoosh" would be shorter and much more predictable!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yeah those rocket igniters are are not very reliable, and because the wires are bare (not insulated) they can short out, and as Phil said they take a good 2 seconds to ignite, that is if they do ignite.
Pyro fuses are vastly more reliable and ignite instantaniously, they also have insulated wires.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 15-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 15-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi,
Good to see I've ignited a debate on pyros! We used the matcheads because they were reliable and instant. Also, if you are in a sandpit in Dorsit - wiring up 5 guns, in 10 minutes - you want them to work!
Cheers, Bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote