Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
tim
Geological Technician

Default I've always wondered about Death's Other Dominion..

When Jack Tanner tells Koenig that the survivors of the Uranus Probe had been on Ultima Thule for 800 years, even through, from the Alphan's perspective, they had left Earth only 13 years before (in 1986).

It was never really addressed. It is possible that the Thulians had gone back in time(Cabot Rowland stated that the ship was hurled through space at incredible speed, perhaps going back in time), but it is also possible that the Moon went forward somehow. Perhaps going through the Black Sun moved them forward in time. Or maybe the phenomenon in Another Time, Another Place was responsible.

If that is the case, then even if Koenig and Co. could return to Earth, they would find a world nearly a thousand years later. Everyone they knew would be long dead.

I wonder, if this was true, and had Simmonds lived at the end of Earthbound, what would he have done in a world 800 + years after his own?
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

If we assume that the episodes should be viewed in productin order, "Earthbound" took place before "DOD," and for that matter, before "Another Time, Another Place," wherein the moon went through a spacewarp (twice, by episode's end). In "Earthbound," the moon was 'only' 75 years' travel time back to Earth, and the Kaldorians were scheduled to arrive there in 2074. Koenig even asks Simmonds in the episode if he was prepared for the Earth of 2074.
As for "DOD," Bergman speculates within the episode that 'either they [the Uranus Probe survivors] or we' have gone through time and caught up with each other 800 years later, relative to the ages of the Uranus Probe crew. For all we know, the moon is still relatively close to 'our' time, and the survivors on Ultima Thule had gone back in time roughly 8 centuries, never aging a day since by the time the moon showed up on their doorstep.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
As for "DOD," Bergman speculates within the episode that 'either they [the Uranus Probe survivors] or we' have gone through time and caught up with each other 800 years later, relative to the ages of the Uranus Probe crew. For all we know, the moon is still relatively close to 'our' time, and the survivors on Ultima Thule had gone back in time roughly 8 centuries, never aging a day since by the time the moon showed up on their doorstep.
I just wish DOD had been a little more clear on that. I still enjoyed it, and who could forget that ending. Whatever made the Thulians immortal was linked to the planet, so if any left, like the unfortunate Cabot Rowland did... YIKES!

Jack Tanner knew, or he suspected. When Freda said she wanted to go to Alpha, he begged her not to. He tried to warn Rowland not to go either. Finally, there was his cryptic remark to Koenig: "Thule is a jealous woman. She will never let us go." Talk about foreshadowing.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
If we assume that the episodes should be viewed in productin order, "Earthbound" took place before "DOD," and for that matter, before "Another Time, Another Place," wherein the moon went through a spacewarp (twice, by episode's end). In "Earthbound," the moon was 'only' 75 years' travel time back to Earth, and the Kaldorians were scheduled to arrive there in 2074. Koenig even asks Simmonds in the episode if he was prepared for the Earth of 2074.

CR, good points, as usual.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
tim
Geological Technician

I think these were the only fellow Earth people the Alphans met since the Moon left Earth orbit. Voyager One and Brian don't count, because they're machines.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Maybe whatever sort of space time warp they went thru if thats what happen to them is what cause there immortality. I think the script suggested that the alphans were still in there normal time. Its one my favorate episodes and one of the best from season 1, my favorate two things was seeing an eagle snowed in and the Phoenix spaceship. Its one of Martin Bowman best models and was inspired by the ship from When Worlds Collide.It had an amazing amout of detail for something only on screen for about 4 seconds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spdod0210.jpg (198.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg o1.jpg (119.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg spdod1529.jpg (83.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg spdod1553.jpg (91.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg spdod1594.jpg (92.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg spdod1565.jpg (166.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg spdod1636.jpg (145.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by jeb1138; 07-03-2013 at 02:17 AM.
jeb1138 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
tim
Geological Technician

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on that, Jeb. What happened to Rowland at the end seemed to indicate that their immortality was somehow linked to the planet. Earlier in the episode, Rowland mentioned adapting to life on Ultima Thule, and I think that was part of it. Something, an enzyme perhaps, changed them once they arrived there. However, it could not survive leaving the planet, nor could its host, as the unfortunate Dr. Rowland found out the hard way.

No doubt Helena analyzed Rowland's remains and the info was transmitted back to Tanner and the others on the planet. If any Thulian finally wants to end it all, all he/she has to do is figure out a way to leave the planet and problem solved.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Yeah i just rewatched the episode and your right, whatever happen to them was link to the planet however i still think it was Rowlands group not Moonbase Alpha that went thru some sort of time warp because there are several later episodes that seem to suggest that.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Tony_Cellini
Hydroponics Technician

My question about Death's Other Dominion is less deep, but here it is: why do the Alphans have such a deep stock of Alpine clothing and trekking gear? It doesn't snow on the moon, and they would need spacesuits anyway if they went outside. But other than that little quandary, I always liked that episode.
Tony_Cellini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Cellini View Post
My question about Death's Other Dominion is less deep, but here it is: why do the Alphans have such a deep stock of Alpine clothing and trekking gear? It doesn't snow on the moon, and they would need spacesuits anyway if they went outside. But other than that little quandary, I always liked that episode.
Fairly easy with today's technology. You could use a rapid prototyping tool. Tell the computer what you want, tweak it, and there you go.

Can't explain the brand name on the snow goggles tho'
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Cellini
Geological Technician

I don't know how to answer your question but I do know that is death that gives meaning to life... in the end.
[sorry, I couldn't resist]
Cellini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
i still think it was Rowlands group not Moonbase Alpha that went thru some sort of time warp because there are several later episodes that seem to suggest that
Unless Alpha went through another warp that sent them back in time, instead of forward.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Nope, in the 5th episode of the second season Journey To Where alpha is contacted from Texas City Earth by Doctor Charles Logan, Texas City's senior space scientist. He tells them the year on Earth is 2120.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
tim
Geological Technician

Yes, but in DOD, Victor said the Thulians computer calculated the current year being 2870 (or somewhere around there). So maybe the next warp sent Alpha back 700 years.

Besides, the continuity between the two seasons really doesn't match up. Helena's narration at the start of Dragon's Domain suggests nearly three years have passed since Breakaway (she says 877 days have passed since they were blown out of Earth orbit). However, in The Metamorph, she says only 342 days have passed since Breakaway!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Well you got me there. I relooked at the transcript for the episode and he did say that and you can make the argument that they were time warped when they went thru the black sun back in episode three, but the fact is there are not anymore time and space warping events that affect the moon between this episode and Journey To Where, i just saying.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
but the fact is there are not anymore time and space warping events that affect the moon between this episode and Journey To Where
Actually, there is. In her opening narration of The Metamorph, Helena says the Moon has just gone through a space warp. It happened offscreen, but it happened.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Yeah your right, i stand corrected and i could handle this defeat in an adult and mature manner but instead i going send you a couple of these.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

A possible pre-Breakaway explanation for the arctic/alpine aparrel on Alpha: perhaps it was in reserve in case an Eagle or two needed (for some reason) to return to Earth in a frigid area. One could suppose that there were other types of field gear on Alpha for dispatches to other regions on Earth: desert, jungle, etc. I'm not saying that there were enough specialized outfits for each and every Alphan, but presumably several sets for, say, a dozen people in an away team.

Obviously, post-Breakaway, the Alphans found the reserve outfits rather handy on occasion...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
A possible pre-Breakaway explanation for the arctic/alpine aparrel on Alpha: perhaps it was in reserve in case an Eagle or two needed (for some reason) to return to Earth in a frigid area. One could suppose that there were other types of field gear on Alpha for dispatches to other regions on Earth: desert, jungle, etc. I'm not saying that there were enough specialized outfits for each and every Alphan, but presumably several sets for, say, a dozen people in an away team.
As good an explanation as any, I suppose.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Maybe they were planning on build a covered ski slope. Can you imagine skiing in 1/3 gravity.