Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
tim
Geological Technician

Default The Doctor Who/Space: 1999 connection.

I put this thread over in the Doctor Who section of Nitcentral, and I thought I'd put it here too, since it concerns 1999 as well.

There are some links between Space: 1999 and Doctor Who. Most involve actors.

One regular cast member of Space: 1999, Zienia Merton, played date analist Sandra Benes. She appeared on Doctor Who as Ping-Cho, in the now lost Marco Polo story. More recently, she appeared on the SJA episode The Wedding Of Sarah Jane Smith.

Another Space: 1999 regular, Prentis Hancock, who played Paul Morrow, made multiple appearences on Doctor Who (Salamar on Planet Of Evil, was one).

Michael Sheard, who made numerous appearences on Who (one of his charater being the doomed Lawrence Scarman in Pyramids Of Mars) appeared on the 1999 episode Dragon's Domain (Darwin King, one of Tony Cellini's crewmates on the Ultra Probe). Like many of his Who characters, he gets killed off here too.

Kevin Stoney played Mavic Chen in The Daleks' Master Plan, Tobias Vaughn in The Invasion, and Tyrum in Revenge of the Cybermen. He appeared on the 1999 episode, The Last Enemy, playing an alien military commander called Talos.

Catherine Schell, who played Maya in S2 of 1999, played Countess Scarlioni in City Of Death. Her character's husband on COD was played by Julian Glover, who appeared on the 1999 episode Alpha Child as the alien named Jarek.

Brian Blessed who guest starred in two episodes of 1999, but as two different characters. The first was as Dr. Cabot Rowland in the S1 episode Death's Other Dominion. The second was as Mentor, Maya's father, in the S2 season premier, The Metamorph. On Doctor Who he played King Ycranos in Mindwarp, part of Trial Of a Time Lord.

The final episode of 1999, the Dorcons, features a character called the Archon. The Archon was played by Second Doctor actor Patrick Troughton.

Bernard Cribbins, who played Wilf, the last companion of David Tennant's Doctor, appeared in the Space: 1999 episode Brian the Brain, as a doomed space mission captain, Michael, the creator of Brian the Brain.

Roy Boyd appeared in the 1999 episode, The Immunity Syndrome as an Alphan named Lustig (who died fairly early on in the episode). On Doctor Who, he played a character named Driscoll in the Hand Of Fear.

There are also behind the scenes links too.

Writer Johnny Byrne of course. His episode are regarded by 1999 fans as some of the best of the series, including me. He later worked on Doctor Who and, among other things, created Nyssa, my favourite companion.

Terrence Dicks penned the S2 1999 episode The Lambda Factor. He wrote many Who episodes and novels and was even Producer of Who in the early 70's.

Last edited by tim; 08-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Don't forget cute, red-haired Main Mission operative Joy Harrison ("Earthbound" and "Another Time, Another Place") was in one of the Dalek episodes. Argh, I've forgotten the title.

By the way, lots of on-camera stars and behind-the-scenes S99 alumni were also involved with the Star Wars saga, including Michael Sheard & Michael Culver (Admiral Ozzel & Captain Needa, respectively). Oh, and some guy named David Prowse played some minor character in Star Wars.

What's really sad--er, I mean way cool--is that I just know all of this stuff from memory without looking it up.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
Don't forget cute, red-haired Main Mission operative Joy Harrison ("Earthbound" and "Another Time, Another Place") was in one of the Dalek episodes. Argh, I've forgotten the title.
Death To The Daleks, one of the final Jon Pertwee stories.

Quote:
Oh, and some guy named David Prowse played some minor character in Star Wars.
Yeah, he dressed all in black. Can't quite place him
Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Bernard Cribbins, who played Wilf, the last companion of David Tennant's Doctor, appeared in the Space: 1999 episode Brian the Brain, as a doomed space mission captain, Michael, the creator of Brian the Brain.
I hadn't noticed that one. Well spotted!

Quote:
Writer Johnny Byrne of course. His episode are regarded by 1999 fans as some of the best of the series, including me.
Definitely!

There's Pip & Jane Baker too -- they wrote Year 2's 'A Matter of Balance' as well as Dr Who's 'Mark of the Rani' and 'Time of the Rani'... though I'm not sure anyone counts either of those stories among Who's best. No offense to Pip & Jane.

IIRC, Gerry Anderson really disliked Who, particularly for its occasionally wobbly sets.
atomicker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
There's Pip & Jane Baker too -- they wrote Year 2's 'A Matter of Balance' as well as Dr Who's 'Mark of the Rani' and 'Time of the Rani'... though I'm not sure anyone counts either of those stories among Who's best. No offense to Pip & Jane.
Yeah, many Who fans consider their stories weak. I myself enjoyed Mark Of The Rani though.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Yeah, many Who fans consider their stories weak. I myself enjoyed Mark Of The Rani though.
I remember a lot of nice location filming at the Ironbridge Gorge Museum -- very welcome in an era dominated by too many indoor sets -- and a few nice little character moments for the Sixth Doctor. I also remember a certain cringe-inducing incident with a semi-living tree...
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Well, I forget which episode but in "Nightmare of Eden" there's a clip from "Guardian of Piri" to suggest an alien planet that has been captured by the CET machine.

Also, if you compare "The Ark" with "Mission of the Darians" you get fairly similar stories. Likewise with "Survival" and "Rules of Luton".
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
"Nightmare of Eden" there's a clip from "Guardian of Piri" to suggest an alien planet that has been captured by the CET machine.
Hmmmm, I'll have to check that out. Wasn't Who trampling on someone else's copywrite by using that footage?
Old 14-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Hmmmm, I'll have to check that out. Wasn't Who trampling on someone else's copywrite by using that footage?
As far as I know the BBC bought the rights.

I found this Radio Times blog

http://www.radiotimes.com/blog/2011-...htmare-of-eden

Part of which states:

"And considering the effort that goes into the Nightmare of Eden effects, some surprising "borrowing" goes on. Of the four planet-scapes projected by the CET, three were created for Gerry Anderson's Space: 1999 - not just one, as many reviews point out. For those who are interested they are, in order, the jungle-like planet Retha from The Full Circle, the sphere-covered Piri from Guardian of Piri and windswept Terra Nova from Matter of Life and Death."
Old 14-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
"And considering the effort that goes into the Nightmare of Eden effects, some surprising "borrowing" goes on. Of the four planet-scapes projected by the CET, three were created for Gerry Anderson's Space: 1999 - not just one, as many reviews point out. For those who are interested they are, in order, the jungle-like planet Retha from The Full Circle, the sphere-covered Piri from Guardian of Piri and windswept Terra Nova from Matter of Life and Death."

So that explains it then. I checked out Eden, and I found those clips.

Old 14-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I believe ITC sold a lot of the model shots to World Backgrounds in Elstree to offset costs. Certainly the "Altares" from "Into Infinity" reappeared in a number of shows and films - most notably an "Alien" spoof called "the Creature Wasn't Nice" featuring Patrick Macnee.

The Alouette II Helicopter and the Kursaal Funfair shots from "The Prisoner" were also sold to World Backgrounds, as was the famous white Jaguar flying off the cliff, which was pretty well-used by ITC by the time it was sold. You name the ITC series, if someone drove a white Jag, you knew he wouldn't last long. I had a screaming fit when I was five and my father took me for a test-drive a second-hand one....
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
tim
Geological Technician

I wondered if ITC still existed, but it folded in 1998, after the death of Sir Lew Grade.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

In Doctor Who "The Tenth Planet" we discover that Earth once had a twin planet called Mondas. Mondas went out of Earth's orbit (as with the moon in S:1999) but in order to survive the people began to depend upon cybernetic technology. Over millennia the people of Mondas became true "Cybermen".

I've always thought the premise between Mondas and the moon (as well as the "twin" Earth in Doppleganger/Journey to the Far Side of the Sun) were pretty similar. The way I see it though, especially in Season 1, is that the Alphans gradually become more human (as in their Humanity is constantly-evolving) whereas the Cybermen became gradually more sterile.

Last edited by PeteQ; 02-05-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

That's an interesting comparison between the moon and Mondas. Makes it seem like the Alphans had an easy time of it really!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicker View Post
That's an interesting comparison between the moon and Mondas. Makes it seem like the Alphans had an easy time of it really!

Also, the second Cyberman story is called "The Moonbase". Whilst the base featured isn't quite as lavish as Alpha - it looks like a jelly mould and colander turned upside down!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
tim
Geological Technician

The Seeds Of Death, also a Troughton story, featured a Moon Base. Not clear if it was meant to be the same one.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Lest we forget Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. with Bernard Cribbins, Philip Madoc and Peter Cushing as the Doctor himself. I think Cushing had some small part in that Star Wars film as well.

Last edited by Eagle12; 05-05-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
tim
Geological Technician

Except the movies are not considered part of official Who canon.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
LTS_6
Alphan

I watch Doctor Who because I have watched it for so long so it has become a part of who (pardon the pun ) I am. I have the same beliefs as the Doctor, I dress similarly, every time a new Doctor is cast, I end up acting like him. Even when I'm at school and somebody mentions Doctor Who, all of my friends point to me and tell them to talk to me lol.
Doctor Who gives me something to aspire to and hope for and it has also given me an impeccable dress sense.
LTS_6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default New Doctor On Deck!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS_6 View Post
I watch Doctor Who because I have watched it for so long so it has become a part of who (pardon the pun ) I am. I have the same beliefs as the Doctor, I dress similarly, every time a new Doctor is cast, I end up acting like him. Even when I'm at school and somebody mentions Doctor Who, all of my friends point to me and tell them to talk to me lol.
Doctor Who gives me something to aspire to and hope for and it has also given me an impeccable dress sense.
Do you know where your wardrobe closet is?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote