Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Captain's Toolbox

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #41
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3 View Post
If I can ever fit it into my finances I would love one
Well, start now it will take some time to get them cast once he commits to them! Get on the list now so he will see the interest going on!

1. Workshop Artist
2. AguiaLusa
3. cireskul
4. richardlamer
5. rockwellcm
6. Stu73
7. dion1701
8. toddyboy766

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scifitodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #42
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyboy766 View Post
Well, start now it will take some time to get them cast once he commits to them! Get on the list now so he will see the interest going on!

1. Workshop Artist
2. AguiaLusa
3. cireskul
4. richardlamer
5. rockwellcm
6. Stu73
7. dion1701
8. toddyboy766
I would say a couple more and Alex would probably make a go of it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #43
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Any Update on this?
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #44
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Alex is out of town at this moment but said he would get back with me soon. I will update you all when replies to me. Thanks for hanging in there.

Old 21-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #45
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

This is not Jim/Alex Launchpad. There are many differences, the biggest being a too long rectangular side extension for example.
Harlock is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #46
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dumas View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys... Just so you know... I am watching this with interest.
Alex, are you here?

Old 28-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #47
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Sorry for the lack of feedback recently guys, but work and family priorities have kept me waaaay more busy than expected in the last few months (and for the upcoming weeks too...)

Still, as this point, I don't want to make any promises as to if I will do a rerun, next Fall or Winter say, but if interest is still there then and that I get enough 'firm' orders (with small down payments) then chances are good

It's one thing to writedown your name on a waiting list and quite another to pay the bill once you get the invoice (I have been decieved quite a few times in the past by 'serious' buyers...)

As for as the other kit, I will let you guys made your own opinion. I haven't seen it to be honest.

Alex
Alex Dumas is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #48
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

By the way, I have 3 Swift kits left in stock (resin bells only) ...If you want one PM me

Back to main topic.
Old 28-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #49
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

We need to find out who would put up a deposit (refundable if not produced) for this kit and see if this can move forward. I agree with Richard, in time everyone will only lose the interest in this and it won't happen.

Old 29-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #50
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Guys, I understand your frustration but having only 8 interested peoples is not even enough to cover the initial money and effort in making a rerun (and that is if everyone pays in the end...) To me, I must be sure to sell at least 20 on the long run to make it worth the investment.

I don't recall committed myself into making a rerun yet and one thing for sure, I won't ask for a deposit before being absolutely sure I can make this.

I may have another solution to speed up the process and gives this a better chance of happening but you need to understand me here, this is a hobby for me which means I do this when I have the time... Family, friends and job comes first. And I am not to a point where I need this money to close the month (fortunately )

Thanks for your understanding, guys.

Alex

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #51
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

I don't aim at having 20 firm orders (not for that kind of kit anyway). Half of that would probably make the cut. The amount of silicon needed for this one is subtensive to say the least. Well engineered moulds with top quality silicon will last for 40 to 50 castings. So, 20 for me make it worth the trip.

Hang on for some news around the end of Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
Thanks for the update.

I thought the original plan was a small run? 20 seems to be a rather large run and
I don't think this site has had many (or any) list up to 20 for anything (going back 6 years).
Most list are lucky to get up to 10!!

I look forward to whatever solution you have to speed up the process and give those who want to purchase the Launch Pad a better chance of this happening and I appreciate you time and effort.
Old 16-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #52
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

I have to be honest,if something else comes along before Alex gets round to this i will go with them
Postage charges to the UK are heavy (from Canada) i have to factor that into the purchase
in fact i purchased a brand new Swift kit without a direct purchase from Alex, and it worked out cheaper.
So no Guarantees from me until these `kits`are ready to go

Richard you also have to be realistic,Paul and Jorge both have Jim Smalls original kit,so Alex`s version may differ in Price and quality
i also know how much Paul paid for his,and it is not even a 1/4 of what Alex is asking (the last time i enquired) for his version

with that said i am more than happy to pay Alex`s asking price,but like you Richard i wonder if this will in fact `happen`

Last edited by rockwellcm; 16-07-2014 at 05:33 PM.
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #53
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Whilst not in the market for a launch pad kit, I would issue a note of caution regarding the kit from MiM.

Going ONLY from my dealings with them from a kit of the 2010 Leonov from the self same source and kit manufacturer, I would urge caution until someone here can actually view the finished pad. Leonov was a total disaster of a kit - badly cast, warped, inaccurate, detail not applied straight. So bad it is the only model I have returned in my entire life and still lost 70 on the deal. But it was un uphill struggle with MiM to recover even that.

I must stress only MY experience on dealings with the producers and distributers, but please be careful.

Keith

PS And no I've no connection with Alex Dumas.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #54
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Yes the person is on this site and is the same person who produced the Leonov kit. He won't like the critique I'm sure, but I can only report my experience . In no way I'm saying that the launch pad is of the same quality - but I'd certainly be cautious until proven otherwise.

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 16-07-2014 at 10:33 PM.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #55
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Anyone who wants a Larson launch pad can contact Chris Larson at cl2012@yahoo.com He will close the list 7/31/14 $200 + shipping

Old 28-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #56
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

I can't believe Chris is making those for $200... Few castings I was able to pull out from Jim's original moulds cost about $100 worth of resin (silicon not included). Jump on it guys! I would do the same at that price IF quality and accuracy is there. On my side, there is no way I could go under $400 per kit to make it worth the trip, sorry.

I assume a good rotocast machine does the trick afterall... Doing so manually is a pain.

Still, can't wait to see the first reviews coming in.
Old 21-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #57
Duey
Astrophysics Technician

Ok, this is Chris Larson of LARSON DESIGNS/LUNAR MODELS.
I have sent off 4 kits so far and you will get some feed back soon.
Now as the cost of resin goes, I buy 5 GL kits so the price is low.
I only use Smooth Cast 300 for all my kits.
Also I email pictures of the cast parts before I mail out the kit.
This way you know what you are getting and no surprises.

Last edited by Duey; 22-08-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Duey is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #58
dion1701
Chef

Default Launch Pad

Somebody get our thrusters fixed! I cant believe we still are not a go for launch! Ironic that we cant get a launch on a launch pad kit! LOL I myself am willing to wait and pay for Alex's quality.
dion1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #59
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Guys, I am not playing taub here but I have started discussions to outsource, rent or sell the pattern to hopefully get a rerun more quickly. I am still considering casting those myself but it is not my first choice right now...

More info as I have something to share.

Last edited by Alex Dumas; 26-08-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 21-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #60
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Master pattern is now for sell and opened to offers.

Master pattern consist of the original parts used to fabricate the moulds (i.e. custom made by Jim Small). Also includes a soft copy of the assembly guide. So everything you need to cast new kits from this beast.

PM or email me if interested.

Last edited by Alex Dumas; 21-12-2014 at 11:34 PM.