Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Goodbye BBC Television Centre

Hi Guys,

Don't know if if any of you have heard about this, but tomorrow night (Friday)
on BBC4 is a whole night of programmes dedicated to to BBC Television Centre. One in particular is called Goodbye Television Centre, a two hour programme looking back at the output of the Centre, hosted by Micheal Grade, with lots of guests and clips.

Andy H.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...odbye-tvc.html

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 21-03-2013 at 06:49 PM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

Well there goes a piece of history. Will it be turned into a museum, a block of flats, or demolished?
Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

It's such a terrible shame, what made the BBC do it??!! I expect they will regret this decision in the not-too-distant future.

EDIT: Some of the studios will remain, the rest will be flats, offices, hotels and cinemas. Have a look at the Wikipedia article here.

Last edited by Exterminator; 22-03-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
tastic1
Geological Technician

Default BBC Telivision sale.

[quote=Exterminator;360050]It's such a terrible shame, what made the BBC do it??!! I expect they will regret this decision in the not-too-distant future.

EDIT: Some of the studios will remain, the rest will be flats, offices, hotels and cinemas..

The shame is that it is 'public owned' through our TV licenses but I doubt we will see any of the benefit or money gained through its sale, i.e. a subsidy on our licenses..
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

My family home of four generations (me being the last, but the house is now sold) is about 900 yards from the BBC Television Centre. Although I now live on the other side of the planet whenever I see that building, or hear of it, I'm reminded of "home".

I suppose that will happen less often from here on.
Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I plan to watch the programme on BBC4 - I will also record it, just in case my thinner-addled brain forgets!!

It rather says something that the BBC haven't put any of this programming on BBC1 or 2 ...
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

I was lucky enough to work at BBC Television Centre from 1989 onwards. My last working day there was 01/01/2013. Felt like a second home. It's a tragedy that it is now closed, and so many studios are being lost.

I'm sure that in the years to come, the BBC will realise it's the biggest mistake it's ever made, but will never admit it. So many lives disrupted by the move to Salford, so much talent that was concentrated in one place now dispersed, so much energy lost.

I was in the audience for the "Goodbye Television Centre" show, it was a melancholy affair. Great to hear so many celebs being quite vocal in their disagreement with what was happening. Disappointing in the days that followed to hear Michael Grade spout such utter rubbish about how it would cost too much to get TC up to speed with HD. Erm, hello? TC1 was HD ready in 2005, TC3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were all HD ready.

Interesting website here - http://www.savetvc.co.uk/images.html - scroll to the bottom of the page and read more guff from Grade - and possibly his reasons for badmouthing such an iconic building.