Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Republic Light Cruiser

Now , you're going to have to bear with me on this one . I've been inspired by wappynutter's "Clone Wars Transport" build to have a crack at my first scratchbuild for a number of years but am still not 100% certain of the exact design I'm going for . I DO know it's going to be an original ship , but I want it to fit conceptually within the "Clone Wars " era of the Star Wars universe , as I'm working on a story/scenario and I need a " hero ship " . I have a rough idea of the direction I'm going to take , so I thought I'd start off and see how it develops ! This is one of the pics I'm taking design cues from . ( Apologies to the owner of this design , but trust me , my ship won't be exactly the same ) .

I started with the engines . I used the cardboard tube from a cling film container and the plastic " end pieces " from the same form the engine intakes/nozzles . ( I'm in catering and have been saving these bits up for ages , knowing they'd come in handy !)

I "clad" the engine tubes with thin styrene and added detail with more styrene sheet and strips .

So , it's not much but it's a start . I plan on building the main structure with Perspex and then adding the panelling and detail with styrene . I estimate the ships length will be between 18" and 24" , which is pretty big by my standards .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Oh you top man you.....
This is gonna be awesome I just know it......
I will be watching your every post for tips etc... in the art of building BIGGER!!
I think you'll do just fine and those engine pods look cool already.
You gonna include some lighting and a detailed cockpit with pilot? Or droids? Or both??
Are you leaning towards a certain type of owner/pilot for this build? IE:- Han Solo corellian smuggler/Kyle Katarn ( Mouldy crow pilot), or will it be a short range cruiser?, part of the republic fleet piloted by clones?
Asking you questions now may help you in choosing a path the build will follow and help with colour scheme/fleet markings etc....
Good luck my friend.
Now get some building done...

Regards Andy
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Andy , I don't plan on adding lights or any cockpit detail at the moment , but as I'm more or less making this up as I go along , that could change . But as for the rest , the ship is going to be a prototype Light Cruiser/Interceptor from early on in the Clone Wars . And as for the crew .....
Old 28-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Got a bit more work done . Cut 2 sections of the A.B.S plastic ( rather than Perspex , as I stated earlier , pardon my ignorance !) and laminated them to form the rear "fuselage" .

I've the luxury of a couple of days free to work on the ship ( barring a list of jobs issued by The Wife ) , so next I'll add panel detail and a few greeblies to this section before I crack on with the forward fuselage .
Old 28-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Contrary to my comment in the last post , I've decided to get as much of the main build done before I start the detail work . This is because the cutting/fileing/sanding of the plastic is a messy business and as I'm working from the kitchen table at the moment , I think it's best done in an empty house ( the married members among you will get where I'm coming from ! ) and the detail work can be done at leisure . Here I've added the floor of the forward fuselage .

Next came the support for the super-structure . ( At this point I discovered that liquid poly worked with the plastic , which brings into doubt that the material I'm using is actually A.B.S ! )

Here I've begun the task of adding the ship's "skin" .

That's as far as I've got with the "heavy lifting ", at least for today . When the filler's fully dry , I'll start cleaning up the joints and time allowing , maybe start on some panelling .

Old 29-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Here I've begun the ( laborious ) job of sanding and filing the rear fuselage and started to add a little detail . I've been researching Clone Wars Era craft and it seems that the designs are pretty "clean" when it comes to this sort of thing , so I'm keeping "greeblies" to a minimum .

I've carried the panel detail up the rear of the fuselage . I plan on detailing the leading and trailing edges of the "wing sections" with antenna etc , but have left it off until I finish the sanding and rubbing down business .

The central part of the fuselage is still looking a little sparse at the moment as I was planning on some sort of docking/loading bay with a little interior detail , but I'm having second thoughts about that idea .

The nose section is about halfway finished , but needs a little more work with the filler and files . At this stage the ship has a look of the " Galactica " about it , but this won't be as apparent when the bridge section is added .

Old 30-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Adding more panel detail to the fuselage .

As I said earlier , I'm keeping the detailing quite simple , consisting of straightforward rectangles of thin styrene and sections of thin strip . The plan is to have a central "spine" of relatively busy detail work , which (hopefully) will give an idea of scale of the ship . I'm aiming at a scale of about 1/100 , which in Star Wars terms , makes the ship "medium size" , or about the size of a cruiser , such as the "Blockade Runner" ( Tantive IV to the more anorak inclined ) . Unfortunately , I discovered today that the ONLY shop that stocks Plasticard locally has stopped doing so . Which means the build'll slow down until I can replenish my supplies . In the meantime , I can turn my attention to the underside of the ship and maybe get a bit of primer on .
Old 31-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

.....Like I said WOW..
I think you been holding out on us...

Well done sir, keep it up and carnt wait to see the next build post.
Just a quick question... what thickness plasticard you building and panelling with there?
Regards Andy
Old 31-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Oooh you flatterer you !
This is the first scratchbuild I've attempted in a while as my attention has been diverted to 1/6 scale custom figures . Raising a couple of kids over the last few years put pay to a lot of my modelling and as I work from the kitchen table , it's not really practical for me to have lots of dodgy chemicals/paints/tools etc . within reach of little hands ! But this hasn't stopped me following the boards , as I love to see what other people ( such as yourself ) are up to . Another reason for my "hiatus" has been the lack of modelling shops in my area . At the moment , I have to travel to Manchester or Liverpool ( I'm about half way between the two ) to stock up on materials , although for the past few months a local "Hobbycraft " has been stocking Plasticard etc. As for your question , I can't really quote the thickness of the styrene , but it's about as thin as it comes ! I bought a job lot of styrene sheet packs from a closing Games Workshop store and they contained various thickness of sheets and over time I've ended up with just the thinnest of the sheets left ! The plastic I'm using for the build itself is pretty thick (about 4mm ) and was given to me by a builder friend , which is why I assumed it to be first a kind of Perspex and then ABS ! It has a very glossy , almost waxy finish , but as I've worked with it ( sanding , cutting etc ) it shows all the signs of being styrene . The drawback is the thickness , but this just means I have to utilise my Dremmel to cut it . ( Hence the mess , which I'm getting mucho earache off the Missus for . )
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Got a little bit done on the ship . ( Considering the designation " Republic Interdiction Cruiser " ). Begun to "fill the gap" of the mid fuselage .

Also put a bit of dark grey primer on the rear . A couple of reasons for this , first it helps give me an idea of how it looks (with paint) and whether I need any more detail and second , the dark grey will act as a pre-shading coat , which will help when I add the top coat(s) as I'll be "misting" shades of light grey/white .

Getting around to thinking about the underside as well . A bit from the spares box has come in handy ! ( Spot where it's from ? )

( Sorry for digging up an old thread , but here's a link to my previous ( original) Star Wars bash .)
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=8506

Last edited by thundergod; 02-04-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander

Looking great!
DS9 Runabout?
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Looking great!
DS9 Runabout?
Give that man a cigar !
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Managed to replenish my styrene stocks , as well as some filler , so the build'll be getting back on track . Got the bridge/cockpit area built so the front of the ship is beginning to look more like the way I imagined , rather than a Galactica clone ! One of my favourite Star Wars craft has always been the "Y-Wing " , so I want to give a nod in that direction , as if the ships share some design heritage .

Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Tidying up the "bridge/cockpit" area before I add some panel detail .

I've started detailing the underside using kit parts ( from an Airfix "Robogear" diorama set ). I'll simply fill the space with panelling ( and try not to forget to leave space for the landing gear !)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Couldn't resist getting some paint on the ship . ( I needed an excuse to test out a new brand of white primer that a local "pound shop" has started to stock . Pretty good it is too .) The top of the craft is about 95% finished , as far as the build is concerned . I need to do a little more filler/filing/sanding work to tidy up some seams and the last few details such as guns need to be added .

I've also started to get the landing gear sorted , using aluminium and styrene rod , as well as some more "Robogear " parts . It's occurred to me that retractable undercarriage and opening ramps would have been relatively easy to achieve , but as this was a "seat of the pants" build , I didn't really plan ahead and wanted to get the fuselage together as quickly as possible . Ah well , maybe on the next one !

Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Looking most excellent sir....
Carn't believe you've just "Thrown" this together..... on the table..... in just over a week... !!
Did you do some to-scale drawings or take your panelling designs and ideas from another build?
What type of finish will it get? .... and how will you weather it when complete? Oil, acrylic, pastels, pencil lead???
Will you be using any decals or fleet markings?
So what 1 store has started stocking this white primer?
My local ones just stock the usual grey or gloss black and white, sometimes a matt black if i'm lucky.

Sorry.... lots of questions I know but I am interested in your build and learning and getting tips and techniques advice.
Anyways... continue good sir, the entire forum is no doubt watching and waiting for the next post.... so no pressure

Regards Andy
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Cheers Andy . To be honest , I've surprised myself with the progress I've made with this build ! Take it from me , it'd usually take me MUCH longer to get this far along , but I've had a week or so off work , so I've had more time to get stuck into it . As for planning etc , I've quite literally been making it up as I go along . The panel detail was straightforward . I simply used the same card templates I used to make the body "skins" and cut them into sections to form the templates for the panels . I referred to the Revell Republic Cruiser kit for a general idea of panel shape etc , and basically watched a lot of "Clone Wars" on DVD !
This is the paint in question .

The actual name of the shop in question eludes me , but I know it wasn't "Poundland" or "Poundworld" ( I'll make a point of finding out on my next visit !)
Over the primer , I'm beginning to "mist" a gloss white top coat ( another poundshop job , though not from the same source ) and using a very fine sanding pad to rub it down between coats . I've also masked off and sprayed a few red "go faster stripes " on the "wing " sections . ( These aren't as neat as I would have liked ,but my Tamiya tapes gone walkabout and I used electrical tape instead .It won't be a problem when I add weathering ).As for weathering , the plan is to use grey/black acrylic washes and maybe pastel chalks , but as with everything about this build , that's subject to change ! I'm currently touching up rough spots with filler and beginning to think about adding the final bits of detail , such as antenna etc as well as fitting the landing gear . For this , I'm simply making removeable legs . One thing I completely forgot to do was make the arrangements for a display stand , but this won't be much of a problem to add when the model's finished .

Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
JayCub
Weapons Technician

Very enjoyable work log, great photographs and plenty of dialog, great skills on display and will encourage me to try my own.

Thank you for sharing your work.
JayCub is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Not done an enormous amount of work on the cruiser this week , as work has taken up the most of my time . This has suited me though , as generally when I get close to completing a build , I like to take time to "review" my work and fix any snags , clear up any rough edges etc . This has been especially useful with this project as ( for me ) it's been a pretty quick build . I've used the time to re-think the front end of the ship as I'd come to realise that I was moving away from my original "vision" of what I wanted the craft to be . The front was looking too "sleek" ( and more than a little "Battlestar-ish" ) , whereas I wanted to imply more of a "prototypical Star Destroyer-look " in the design , if that makes sense ! To this end , I've made a few alterations .

This includes some "antenna" .

Old 17-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I've done a little more work on the cruiser after a bit of a break ( quite literally , as the model was dropped , resulting in damage to the nose area ) . As well as repairing the damage , I've had chance for a little re-think regarding the design ( I did say I was making this up as I went along !) and I've tweaked the front of the ship a little .

It's looking a little "beaky" at present , but it'll make sense in the end !