Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Default Sanjay's (lazyeagle) Thunderbird 2 Studio Scale build

This model maybe my undoing…but here goes. Thunderbird Two, all 32 inches of green morning glory….well if I get the shade right. Got these warped fibreglass pulls from good friend Mamas (RCnut) about five years ago when skills were sadly lacking. Not sure who mastered it but still it’s something to work from.

Anyway discarding all the resin bits and pieces and just using the main fuselage halves- wings, tail and elevator box will all be scratchbuilt. A lot of shape issues with this one as would like to build a close copy of the first balsa model 32" miniature used during the first season of Thunderbirds, so the fibreglass body will be my blank canvas to shape, fill and carve. New windows too…. Oh did I mention that the pod will also drop out too?…..Thanks to lovely girlfriend who encouraged me to build this green puppy…

Out with the heat gun to make things line up…more very soon….

LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
FrankUFO
Geological Technician

Look forward to see this come to life , looks like a lot of hard work a head of you.
Good luck.
FrankUFO is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Lamboman
Weapons Technician

I think thats from Seaview if im not mistaken ?
Lamboman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Progress for today – so heat gun coaxed the fibreglass halves closer to shape, but the warpage was pretty severe. Anyway applied thin bead of filler to create a mating edge allowing the pieces to be superglued under pressure

Filler applied to the seam and subsequent sanding improves the nose section, but much filling and re-sanding is in the offing as many voids, bumps and depressions need to be taken care of. Yes a lot of work, but want this to look good and nose does not look right to me just yet....

Cutting out the lower pod portion allowed me to lay up the inner surface of the top portion of the pod with glass cloth. This is to ensure that once cut out the curve does not flatten out as I’d like to use it to build the pod drum section. Re-shaping the nose as I post…also those bumps that hold the telescopic legs will be removed as the shape is wrong. All windows will be filled in and re-drawn on before curving in some moulded clear plastic....more soon FAB Virgil!

Old 14-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
RCnut
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboman View Post
I think thats from Seaview if im not mistaken ?
Yep It was Seaviews, I was given the moulds by sombody else that will remain nameless and not told they didnt have the permision of seaview to use them.

Live, learn and trust no one. Sad but true.

Last edited by RCnut; 14-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Dave
Communications Officer

Good luck with this.
I thought the original balsa Thunderbird 2 was nearer 36"
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Measuring again and my TB2 is actually 36 inches once the rear rocket tubes are knocked in

More progress between rain showers. Having cut out the top and lower portions of the pod takes this epic build to the next level. XXX stuff….well not really, am sure Vin Diesel fumes would not be impressed. Back to the pod – how to make one that fits snugly into side booms then? Well, drilled three quarter inch corresponding holes into both roof and floor pieces and pushed through brass rods to create a ‘stand alone’ pod. Raising and lower the roof part and sliding the whole unit into the main TB2 lifting body allowed me to determine the correct height of the cargo pod. A bit of masking tape secures it all. Sides were reinforced with mesh over which fibreglass cloth was laid up. Voila….pod complete . Now to skim over with filler…so out with the P38 and lightning fast sanding ensued.

First coat of filler primer to check imperfections followed by more sanding. Next to carve out the jet intakes, make the pod fit, and scratch wings and tail fins from MDF- here kudos to David Sisson’s marvellous site as trying some of his amazing techniques to build mine…shes coming along Virgil…..that she is and her pod fits too!...more soon after entertaining lovely girlfriend by taking her to see Star Trek Into Darkness ….she’s a mild trekkie….and looks good in uniform….ahem…..

Old 16-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
xPanda1969x
Alphan

I dont think you should be telling the nice people our secrets dear I think one might be exaggerating just a teensy little bit on the 'mild' trekkie front. I'd have made a fabulous number one!! As to the thunderbird.....about time too!!
xPanda1969x is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Intakes done, wings and tail plane made from MDF and test fitted. second coat of filler primer and more sanding to follow- going to re-profile nose section...still not happy. Anyway at least pod fits. Please ignore mess in my back garden as I'm finishing up my house renovations. Also wings are too long.....

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

This is going to be an awesome build!
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The shape looks good now that you've reprofiled it... that always seems to be the area that some manufacturers get wrong for some reason.

Loving this!
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Thank you all for the kind comments...I have changed the shape for the fourth time...also intakes have been redone as the side depressions were too deep. Side raised 'lip' that contours snug against the pod have also been done and I'm pleased with the way the pod fits into the lifting body with a much finer seam. Waiting for primer to harden as I think finally I may have gotten the final shape to look right...well to my untrained eyes anyway....more photos soon...

Going to Ebay for the Airfix girder bridge kits soon to decorate the internal greeblies in both pod and lifting body...

And then what the hell green shall I paint it?.....the adventure begins....
Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEagle View Post
And then what the hell green shall I paint it?.....the adventure begins....
Take a look here Sanjay, I asked Mike Trim that very question....

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ghlight=colour
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Bit more progress...adjusting intakes.

Detailed parts - still refining them as some profiles are incorrect...or what I think is incorrect

Dry assembly.....filler primer, sanding, filler primer, sanding ad infinitum next and then adding heat formed cockpit and portal windows

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

This model is looking really good at this stage, nice profile, I look forward to seeing more good job!
Sea Devil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default I echo SeaDevil's comments.....

Terribly complicated and very demanding. She's looking really good, and when you consider what the pieces looked like at the start of your thread, you have indeed come a long way.

Please keep us posted regarding one of the most-loved and iconic Anderson vehicles of all....

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Thanks for all the kind comments. More progress- first filler primer coat to identify flaws/shape issues-plenty of them. Also test fit of scrap windows and portals in clear PTFE plastic. Final windows in super clear heat formed plasticard coated with Johnsons' Klear varnish for that extra sparkle and rigidity! Test fit of bulkheads and internal recessed detail. Mixing my own shade of green too.

Old 13-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
RCnut
Communications Officer

Looking better and better all the time mate, How to make a silk purse from a sows ear. was good to see you too at Hendon on Sunday.
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Great progress.....

....so keep it going! The yellow primer certainly seems to bring out the best in your craft - it's only a short while ago that we were looking at pictures of the basic components, and yet you've got so far. Best of luck with this project - never can resist a TB2 in all her glory.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #20
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnut View Post
Looking better and better all the time mate, How to make a silk purse from a sows ear. was good to see you too at Hendon on Sunday.
Thanks Mam' still a ways to go, enjoyed catching up, that Skydiver of yours is looking the business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
....so keep it going! The yellow primer certainly seems to bring out the best in your craft - it's only a short while ago that we were looking at pictures of the basic components, and yet you've got so far. Best of luck with this project - never can resist a TB2 in all her glory.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
Thanks Patrick, believe me this one is so challenging to get right that at times I've wanted to nose dive the blooming thing into the neighbours skip. However will persevere or get committed.

Tags
studio scale, thunderbird 2