Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
sadsack
Alphan

Default Space 1999 soundtrack question

I wasnt sure where to post this question, but it's for any Space 1999 OST experts. There's a Season One cue I'm interested which isnt on the cds. I checked the most likely Chappell library cues, but they werent it. It's heard in more than one episode, but is prominent in "Dragon's Domain" - whenever they visit the ship with the monster.
For simplicity, I uploaded a clip of the music to youtube, but the rules here say you cant post copyrighted material, so I dont know if I can post the link or not.
sadsack is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Think this may be answer you're looking for (hope so!):

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Onl.../message/27552

(Any trouble with this link, pls let me know!)

Best Regards...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
sadsack
Alphan

thanks, but actually I just posted the same question there (if you look at the date). The response I got that it was a sound effect is not correct. It's musical, and doesnt emanate from anything onscreen. It's intended to instill dread in the audience.
Here's the sound sample on youtube. If it's an issue to post it here, I can edit it out.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Hi again, appreciate your reply. Yes, I've just looked in on Online Alpha too. The good news is, you've gotten folks out here to thinking on this subject; someone, somewhere, is bound to know it for sure, and hopefully will respond!

Best Regards...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
thanks, but actually I just posted the same question there (if you look at the date). The response I got that it was a sound effect is not correct. It's musical, and doesnt emanate from anything onscreen. It's intended to instill dread in the audience.
Here's the sound sample on youtube. If it's an issue to post it here, I can edit it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7-gUTQjZY
Unless I'm very much mistaken, this sound effect appears in Capt. Scarlet as a background for the Mysteron base in "Crater 101". It's not too easy to spot as it's mixed into the background with a number of other effects.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I'mfairly certain that It had previously been used in 'Guardian of Piri'. If this is the case, the piece is called 'Undersea' by Chuck Cassey
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
sadsack
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
I'mfairly certain that It had previously been used in 'Guardian of Piri'. If this is the case, the piece is called 'Undersea' by Chuck Cassey
nope, not it. That's track 4 on CD #2 of the Season One set. I played the episode but didnt hear it, either.
I watched the Captain Scarlet episode online, just out of curiosity, but I couldnt detect it.

Last edited by sadsack; 09-06-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
S1999LA
Hydroponics Technician

Interesting convo. I would just be interested in finding out where to get my hands on that "definitive" Fanderson soundtrack set. Love me some Space:1999 music!!!
S1999LA is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
sadsack
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1999LA View Post
Interesting convo. I would just be interested in finding out where to get my hands on that "definitive" Fanderson soundtrack set. Love me some Space:1999 music!!!
I believe both 2-cd Season releases are OOP, but there's always Ebay, Amazon, Half, etc. And downloads online.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Interestingly both are available on iTunes search space 1999 at 10.99 and they maybe only available to the UK, not sure.

However if you search under Barry Gray you can find season 1 for 7.99.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
S1999LA
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Interestingly both are available on iTunes search space 1999 at 10.99 and they maybe only available to the UK, not sure.

However if you search under Barry Gray you can find season 1 for 7.99.
Right. Very confusing to me, since I cannot determine the track list(s) for the Fanderson-issued collection. There are several other CD issues but my understanding was they weren't as inclusive as Fanderson.

Thanks for the input, though, guys. Hoping someone with the Fanderson issue can help me get a track list...
Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
sadsack
Alphan

Captain, are those the 1-cd releases? I had the impression when S199LA mentioned the "definitive" releases, he meant the limited (Zomba), OOP 2-cd sets.

You can find tracklists for various releases here:
http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/t.../Space%3A+1999

Last edited by sadsack; 09-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
S1999LA
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Captain, are those the 1-cd releases? I had the impression when S199LA mentioned the "definitive" releases, he meant the limited (Zomba), OOP 2-cd sets.

You can find tracklists for various releases here:
http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/t.../Space%3A+1999
THANKS! It appears the Zomba is what I'm writing about. At this point, I'd consider paying return postage and providing CDRs for copies of the two 2-disc sets since Fanderson don't have them available. I've loved the show since Year 1 and won't be satisfied with the lesser soundtracks currently officially available. Torrent etc. are too risky, IMHO

Last edited by S1999LA; 10-06-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: adding content omitted in error
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
simon312002
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1999LA View Post
THANKS! It appears the Zomba is what I'm writing about. At this point, I'd consider paying return postage and providing CDRs for copies of the two 2-disc sets since Fanderson don't have them available. I've loved the show since Year 1 and won't be satisfied with the lesser soundtracks currently officially available. Torrent etc. are too risky, IMHO

Just to be absolutely clear, the releases which are described on the Soundtrackcollector.com site as 'Zomba Production Music' releases are, in fact, the original 2-disc Fanderson releases. For Soundtrackcollector to class them as 'Zomba releases' is incorrect - they're Fanderson Records releases. The Barry Gray set does has the Zomba logo on the back cover - presumably because a lot of the non-Barry Gray library tracks on the second CD comes from their music libraries. The Wadsworth set only has one library track on it - Robert Farnon's piece - and there is no Zomba logo on the CD.

Soundtrackcollector.com is an excellent resource, but not 100% accurate and it's often difficult to pick out which bits are right and which are wrong, which are official releases and which are bootlegs etc.

For my money, the Fanderson CD's are the ones to get because they are the most complete - there was pretty much another hour of Wadsworth's music which never saw the light of day on the Silva Screen release (good though it was) and their Barry Gray release was also limited to what could be fitted onto one disc. As far as I'm aware, Silva have no plans to release any of the other material. There are still bits and pieces missing from the Fanderson discs too I believe, and I imagine that if it still exists they may well release it someday.

The Fanderson CDs are fantastically well produced, something the club could take real pride in. They're out of print currently, but I'm sure at some point Fanderson will revisit them again, as long as there is interest.
simon312002 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
S1999LA
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon312002 View Post
Just to be absolutely clear, the releases which are described on the Soundtrackcollector.com site as 'Zomba Production Music' releases are, in fact, the original 2-disc Fanderson releases. For Soundtrackcollector to class them as 'Zomba releases' is incorrect - they're Fanderson Records releases. The Barry Gray set does has the Zomba logo on the back cover - presumably because a lot of the non-Barry Gray library tracks on the second CD comes from their music libraries. The Wadsworth set only has one library track on it - Robert Farnon's piece - and there is no Zomba logo on the CD.

Soundtrackcollector.com is an excellent resource, but not 100% accurate and it's often difficult to pick out which bits are right and which are wrong, which are official releases and which are bootlegs etc.

For my money, the Fanderson CD's are the ones to get because they are the most complete - there was pretty much another hour of Wadsworth's music which never saw the light of day on the Silva Screen release (good though it was) and their Barry Gray release was also limited to what could be fitted onto one disc. As far as I'm aware, Silva have no plans to release any of the other material. There are still bits and pieces missing from the Fanderson discs too I believe, and I imagine that if it still exists they may well release it someday.

The Fanderson CDs are fantastically well produced, something the club could take real pride in. They're out of print currently, but I'm sure at some point Fanderson will revisit them again, as long as there is interest.
Excellent info and recommendations, Simon! Very much appreciate your time in stating them. Thank you.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
sadsack
Alphan

the cue was I looking for has been identified on the Space 1999 Network News facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/198696856884910/

Apparently a slowed-down version of a cue used throughout Fireball XL5 episode "Invasion Earth." I played the episode slow, and it does sound like it.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default FOUND!

Hooray! Someone out here indeed knew what it was - mystery solved!
Old 19-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
gwent
Computer Technician

So is that cue available anywhere? Was it on any soundtrack CDs by Fanderson?
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
sadsack
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwent View Post
So is that cue available anywhere? Was it on any soundtrack CDs by Fanderson?
if you mean the cue I wanted, it was used in a few episodes, and might be on the Network dvd isolated music tracks. However, someone checked one of the shows and said there was silence. If it's considered an effect, it might be omitted from the all the music-only tracks.
"Dragon's Domain" is not suppose to have a music-only track, but someone claims it has a music/effects track on it. If true, the cue might be on that. I dont have the Network dvds, nor the bluray.

As for the original faster cue from FIREBALL, I have no idea. You could try the Facebook page link - I dont have an account there.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
dep1701
Waste Technician

I may be a bit late to this discussion but I may have some pertinent info to add. Back in 2000 I met Tim Mallett, one of the producers of the soundtrack CDs, as we traveled to the Main Mission Con in New York.

We were discussing the soundtracks and I told him that I was a bit disappointed that the very cue we are discussing on this thread wasn't included on the Year One CD and asked why it wasn't. He said that it was likely that it was one of the tapes that could not be located for inclusion. Another track that I mentioned liking that wasn't included on the Year Two CD is the one that sounded like reverent synthesized voices ( heard prominently in "Brian The Brain" as Koenig walks the surface of Planet D, and as Magus appears on the big screen in "New Adam New Eve" ). He told me that some pieces like that one were produced on the fly in the mixing studio and that the masters have been lost.

Adding to the possible origin of the cue we are discussing here is a quote from Wikipedia ( I know, not the most reliable source, but this seems plausible ) regarding the episode "One Moment Of Humanity"; " A brief moment of the ‘space horror music’ composed by Vic Elms and Alan Willis for 'Ring Around the Moon' can be heard when Zarl takes Helena's hand and says, ‘The play begins.’ This is the only occurrence of a first-series music-track being used this year."

I checked the music only tracks on the network Blu Rays and snippets of the cue can be heard in "ring around the Moon" during the shots inside the Triton sphere near the climax, but it is not continuous. "Dragon's Domain" on the Blu Rays does not have a music - only track. On the region 2 network DVDs, 'Dragon's domain" does have an isolted track, but curiously it is music AND sound effects, which would make getting a clean copy of the cue extremely difficult.
dep1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote