Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Default Model zone

Was in Model zone this weekend in Glasgow to discover big liquidation of stock signs 20% of nearly everything.
Looks like they and Parent Amerang have gone into administration
Another model out let gone?
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

It's not over yet, l work there part time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Howard
Deputy Commander

Brighton was my store of choice, before I moved house almost three years ago.
It doubled its size shortly before I moved (IIRC), then stopped stocking K&S metals, sheet styrene - Milliput was hard to find and none of the staff even knew what it was, while other 'model' related products were not restocked in favour of other 'model' products.
I think it suffered from an identity crisis - and became primarily a collectables store, stocking high end Star Wars and other movie busts and figures that could be bought far more cheaply from FB online. The model makers walked, or rather ordered online.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Keeping my fingers crossed Darkview
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

CB, is that the one in the st enoch centre, or silverburn. ta much
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Yes, the Cambridge store is having the same 10-20% off sale. I hope that they can be made attractive enough for someone to buy, but hope that they rid the places of the distinctly 'schitzophrenic' vibe prevalent there.

I want a shop called "modelZone" to be a model shop. Not a place that sells lego, bb guns, and small rc helicopters. Leave that sort of stuff to places like "Toys 'r' Us". I want more ranges of paint (Really getting into Vallejo Model Air at the moment.) and models other than easy kit pocket models of SW stuff, military aircraft, tanks, and ships.

Where are the SF models I can find on HLJ, the figure models such as Elvira, or the cheap SF models. I can't afford to pay over 50 for an ERTL U.S.S. Reliant, it was only 20 when it came out first and 50 for a conversion base is just too rich for my wallet.

It would have been nice if they catered for some of the after-market parts as well. they could have been in a position to be sole UK distributors of Paragrafix photoetch and decals, but people are almost forced to get them direct from the states.

I know that running 'Bricks and mortar' stores is hard, especially so for hobby stores in a recession, but I don't believe that diversifying into toys and going against large chains like "Toys 'r' Us" was a particularly brilliant move.

(Not that I liked it when the Forbidden Planet stores seemed to drop kits in favour of vignettes and collectables either, but that's because I like working with my hands and being able to say "I made that!")

I did manage to support them by putting no less than 5 of the Dragon "Avengers" 1:9 scale kits on my credit card, and may be able to add some more to that if they are still there after next monday when I get paid.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
KevinD
Communications Officer

The Model Zone in Chester carries loads of kits, sf and otherwise, it has a good range of scratchbuiding materials too. I will be very miffed if it closes!
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

St Enoch center Mrpychopath not been to the Silverburn one much
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

50% off paints, tools and other bits - just spent 60 in the Reading branch on tamiya paint, millput, plastic strip, brushes etc etc...
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

This is a real blow . I'm within short(ish) driving distance of 3 modelzones and if they fold , I will literally have access to ONE shop where I can get hold of modelling supplies . And that shop is Hobbycraft , where the attitude to stocking things such as Evergreen styrene , Tamiya products , weathering powders and even Humbrol paints is hit and miss , to say the least !
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Not a surprise in the slightest that MZ are on their way out.
Amerang really screwed them up, it's no secret that Round 2 are looking for a new UK distributor.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Actually, can anyone do me a favour? I cannot find the Dragon 1/9th scale "Captain America" Avengers kit anywhere and it's the last one I need to complete the initial set. If anyone finds one in a modelzone, can they please let me know which store and what their phone number is please.

Thanks for your collective time and efforts on my behalf.

Gary.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Well been into work today in Sunderlands branch and it's got it CLOSE DOWN sale signs up now . No time given as yet!!! Sad that goes for all 47 other shops. Only a 11th hour buyer can save them!! Yep Amerang sold...

Gary, our captain America sold last week but will ask on Monday and phone no. If there's one out there.

Nope all gone Gary :-(

Official website:

Last edited by DARKVIEW; 17-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Howard
Deputy Commander

From the reports here, there was not a continuity of service.
Amerang's sold? Crikey!
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

One of the things l mainly feel sad about is some of the customers over the 3 or so years now lose there creativity outlet.!! l thought the art of model making had died- and was refreshed to see both fathers and sons/pros/amateurs etc come time and time again to the shop doing the art of a model building etc. I myself only work there part time due to my other artistic endeavours but lve seen many staff work hard and long... Let's hope a 11th hour buyer drops in.

Official website:

Last edited by DARKVIEW; 15-07-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 14-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Yep
The store closing is up on the Glasgow St Enoch store
Have to agree with some comments the SF kits always seem to be the highest priced
only became affordable in the sale (or clearance now)
Old 16-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

I worked in Modelzone, Guildford back when it was still the Model Aerodrome, and the manager used to tell tales of the Hales brothers, his favorite one being how they ousted their dad from the board while he was on holiday...

Bitter sweet to see them go, they were the last High Street model shop chain, and, indeed, swallowed up several branches of Beatties when they went under; I would have thought as the importer, the kits they stocked would have been cheaper than their rivals, but they were often more expensive; and can anyone explain how it's cheaper to buy a kit from a US store, pay postage AND duty, and it still be cheaper than buying the same kit in a Modelzone shop?!?

I found it very telling that while they had the Moebius BSG kits at 40 a pop, the Revell repacks were only 20...
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Closing down signs with 'everything must go' labels in Nottingham store, but with only 20% off kits it means that theres fat chance of actually selling it all as its still cheaper elsewhere!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Pro Mod
Forum Supporter

Same for the central Manchester branch.
There's been a modelshop on that site for over thirty years - that's how long I've been going in, and I know many of the great guys who work there.
Now there's nothing left in the city, criminal!
Old 19-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Same here,bloody awful news
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote