Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Default Can you ever finish a model ?

I have to confess I have been building for over 40 years but only a fraction of what I start ...maybe a fifth actually ever gets finished...and sometimes that can take years ! I know my friend Mr Knight is the same as he rarely finishes anything too ! I expect we all have partly made projects in the attic or cellar or spare room. Sometimes I can't get the internal lighting correct, sometimes it's the decals, sometimes it's just hardly worth the effort to modify a bad kit ! I must have at least 30 part built projects. Always hit a stumbling block and say "I will come back to it" and never do ! Well recently I am starting work on the model's that have been in moth balls seemingly for all eternity and I my approach is ....scrap that clever idea...forget that internal lighting you wanted...just get the damn thing built. A few recent threads here have inspired me to do that, especially "badsimmonds" Interceptor thread which I find rather fascinating. I always wanted 100% perfection before but ended up with 90% of my models still in boxes. I think I can go for 85% and still be happy and get the damn things built at last. I expect many of you here will feel the same and I hope you also get those boxes out of the attic and do the same I've pulled out Uncl Bills old Angel Interceptor today and splashed some Diamond White on it....looking good so far. It will never be 100% but I think it will still look damn good in the display cabinet ! Onwards and Upwards !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Ditto!
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

“A work of art is never completed: it is abandoned.” - Paul Valery

I find there is never a true stopping point in any project- very few of my paintings are ever signed because it means to me there is nothing else I can do.
Painting a model is like admitting you cannot find another piece of greebly to take it that final step- even after paint you have panel scribing into the surfaces decals and weathering to do.
Some models are taken through to finished, but I still look at them and see more I could have done...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

(I put this on before but can't find it now)

A. Complete model
B. Put it on display in eyesight of your usual seat in the house
C. Glance at it regularly and find imagined faults that you MUST rectify
D. Take it back to workshop and re-do
E. Repeat steps A,B,C and D until the model is completely ruined!
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
(I put this on before but can't find it now)

A. Complete model
B. Put it on display in eyesight of your usual seat in the house
C. Glance at it regularly and find imagined faults that you MUST rectify
D. Take it back to workshop and re-do
E. Repeat steps A,B,C and D until the model is completely ruined!
Ha ha ha...love it Steve

Old 24-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
headcase
Astrophysics Technician

For a while I tried limiting the number of builds I had going at once to two = one big, difficult build + one small, easy build. That worked for a while, but during my last "big, difficult build" (my Eagle) I started 3 other kits. It was a choice between that or losing my mind completely. Now that that's basically finished I'm diving into those 3 kits and hope to finish at least two of those before I start out another "big, difficult build". We'll see how this works out!
headcase is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
I have to confess I have been building for over 40 years but only a fraction of what I start ...maybe a fifth actually ever gets finished...and sometimes that can take years ! I know my friend Mr Knight is the same as he rarely finishes anything too ! I expect we all have partly made projects in the attic or cellar or spare room. Sometimes I can't get the internal lighting correct, sometimes it's the decals, sometimes it's just hardly worth the effort to modify a bad kit ! I must have at least 30 part built projects. Always hit a stumbling block and say "I will come back to it" and never do ! Well recently I am starting work on the model's that have been in moth balls seemingly for all eternity and I my approach is ....scrap that clever idea...forget that internal lighting you wanted...just get the damn thing built. A few recent threads here have inspired me to do that, especially "badsimmonds" Interceptor thread which I find rather fascinating. I always wanted 100% perfection before but ended up with 90% of my models still in boxes. I think I can go for 85% and still be happy and get the damn things built at last. I expect many of you here will feel the same and I hope you also get those boxes out of the attic and do the same I've pulled out Uncl Bills old Angel Interceptor today and splashed some Diamond White on it....looking good so far. It will never be 100% but I think it will still look damn good in the display cabinet ! Onwards and Upwards !
Abso-bloody-lutely ! Thank God it's not only me !
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I guess this is just part of the hobby...
But after all, I think that only working on a model when you are fully motivated brings out the best you.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
I guess this is just part of the hobby...
But after all, I think that only working on a model when you are fully motivated brings out the best you.
Yes...have to agree with those words Transporter. Well said.
Old 24-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Abso-bloody-lutely ! Thank God it's not only me !
ha ha - its not just you bro

Old 25-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I have to admit though , it's a rewarding feeling when you dig out an old project , fearing the worst and discover that it's not that bad after all , sometimes even pretty good ! Alternatively, going back to an old model can be like returning to a pub where you once got beaten up !
Old 25-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I must admit that I have several model projects on the go. The Moon Mobile is on hold whilst I work out how to build the undercarriage. The commlock is awaiting the metal belt clip, and transfer paper - which still hasn't arrived! grr. And the other two projects are awaiting various bits and pieces, which I can't afford at the moment.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Well I now feel quite chuffed with myself after reading this thread.
I have just completed my 3 scratch projects over the past week and apart from a cardboard prototype and a handful of sketches and ideas i'm done.

So I really should update my P1 thread and get a move on with posting up my second "Anime" classic build.
... and start a thread for ( I think! ) the rarest most unloved and unphotographed piece of movie junk transport ever...
So rare I found just 2 pictures on the web and a mention of the ship on 1 scfi model forum only.....

Hope to see some progression with your builds soon then Mr Dix when parts arrive
.... and come on Thunder finish those Star Wars builds i'm bored reading only updated "Puppet" posts......

Anybody notice how many smilies I like to use in 1 post??
Regards Andy ( smilies Pro user )
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Well Mr Nutter , the Star Wars Cruiser is currently on the "back-burner" , while I wait to re-stock on some materials ( alternatively , see the above posts and thread in general !) but I've been clearing out my stock of Star Wars kits by actually building some ! ( There should be a thread up by the time you read this ) .
Old 25-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
telster
Medical Technician

Not only that ... I just can't stop buying new stuff & even worse, I now buy in twos - one to build (HA!) & one to keep.

If I ever get around to selling some of this stuff on ebay, like I promise myself I'll do, then there's a fortune in my attic. Not retirement money but a world cruise anyway (or maybe 1 23" PE eagle at today's prices).

Looking forward to the new TB3s from HLJ soon though
telster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Gee Slate thanks for reminding me (and everyone else) lol It's more a case of "Life stuck it's big fat ugly head through the window and said, "Hey, what are you doing that for?come here you gotta see this!" Then I just never get back to what i was doing and everytime I remind myself I must get on with one there's that big ol fathead Life gawping at the window again. (Yes I think I probably have beeno out in the sun too long) :-)

Still alive, not quite kicking

Knight010666
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Rich, I know what you mean mate I've even got some green paint on the old TB2 now How is your door size TB2, TB1 coming along ? I am also tempted to take that Shado Interceptor off your hands after reading Badsimmonds thread recently And yes...I still regularly look at the Sky One you sent me....it's currently in the ex wifes garage but I will get around to it some day mate. The aluminium jet parts look great.

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 28-07-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 28-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

oops double posted for some reason
Old 14-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #19
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
I have to admit though , it's a rewarding feeling when you dig out an old project , fearing the worst and discover that it's not that bad after all , sometimes even pretty good ! Alternatively, going back to an old model can be like returning to a pub where you once got beaten up !
Ha! I've enjoyed reading this thread, and seeing the gentle humor involved ... but I just loved reading that last bit! (Always enjoy imaginative writing, too!)

I'm finding (over the last five years or so, especially) that although I do finish a decent amount of stuff, I probably have a 5:1 "stalled to finished" ratio.

That I'll admit to, that is.

Thinking it through, I'm probably only counting what in my head actually counts: which is, "Did I actually complete the ones I set out to complete?"

What I mean is, I find that I'm often treating the unfinished ones as test beds for new (to me, anyway) techniques and the like. They may never have been "ones I actually intend to take to completion" so much as ones I used, to see what would happen when I asked myself, "I wonder if this idea would work?" ... and then, when I've gotten some new-to-me trick down to a science, I apply it to a deadline model for an article. No one sees the pile of stalled projects, other than me ... so, by appearances anyway, I must be one of those blokes who completes every project he starts. (But it's not true!)

Weirdly, in looking through various half-organized piles of "technically stalled" model projects, I'm betting that probably puts me in a bit of unique boat? In going back and looking at some of the ones I tried one thing on, and then put it away for a few years, and later tried something even newer on it ... well, what I'm seeing in such a case isn't so much something that beat me up; as much as something that would be hell to finish ... since I've changed the core techniques I used to favor the most, twice, since I began such a project! (And am probably working out an even cooler technique, even then.)

How's that for a creative and unusual excuse for not finishing stuff!?!
Wardster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

On the plus side chaps, if we all get fed up the modelling scene one day, we could probably sell our collections (made & unmade) and retire!!
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote