Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Default 2001: a space odyssey space suit replicas: advice?

Dear andys and kevins;

I recently acquired, quite reasonably, a pair of replica space suits ala 2001: a space odyssey. as I understand it, these were made for a TV commercial with quite a high budget. To my inexpert eye, they are pretty accurate....suspiciously so. What I'm trying to find out is:

Were these made using an original suit to mold off of/ reference? The helmets appear to be an accurate 2001 suit helmet cast from fiberglass that then had vacuum-formed 'add on' pieces put on to make them look slightly different. The fabric parts of the suit were originally made of sky blue pleather, which apparently deteriorated over the years (pleather does that), so when I got them, what I had to do is peel off the remaining tatters of blue plastic surface film, leaving behind (after considerable scrubbing) a set of off white 2001 space suits.

Doe these spark a memory for anyone?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Xerxes Iguana
Waste Technician

I'm a novice on the topic, but my brain immediately jumped to the IBM adverts from somewhere around 2005. Some Googling shows the suits were not as good a match for the originals as my memory told me (see attached).

Some discussion which may be of use is here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.7 KB, 96 views)
Xerxes Iguana is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes Iguana View Post
I'm a novice on the topic, but my brain immediately jumped to the IBM adverts from somewhere around 2005. Some Googling shows the suits were not as good a match for the originals as my memory told me (see attached).

Some discussion which may be of use is here.

I think that's it! I took off the 'add ons' to the helmet...and by the thread, it appears that these helmets were made from the 2010 helmets! The extra parts are vac formed add ons screwed to the original fiberglass helmets: underneath, they look like the photos of the 2010 helmet pull discussed in the thread.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 28-07-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 28-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Xerxes Iguana
Waste Technician

Here's a better pic. Also, another thread that mentions the same suit.

It's a good thing I didn't buy them - I'd go everywhere wearing one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (131.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 28-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Xerxes Iguana
Waste Technician

Some googlefu later, and here's a copy of one of the brochures the campaign produced. There were similar print adverts in most IT press, and (I think) some TV adverts. Search on "IBM Codernaut" and you"ll find more.

Old 28-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

I have one of the 2010 helmets out of the original mould.
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Mr. Iguana beat me to it - the IBM ads from 2005. You lucky, lucky person.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
I have one of the 2010 helmets out of the original mould.

Apparently, according to the photos, that's what these are too. The odd thing is they cut two holes under the 'air scoops' (ventilation?) conforming to the shape of the 'data packs', so I have to make a couple of those to 'restore' the helmet to 2010 specs.

They are also missing the backpacks, so if any andys out there have got dimensions for the back pack, that would help. Interesting thing: apparently the 2010 helmets were based on the moon helmet, rather than the discovery helmet (data packs are different).

It's really too bad the original blue surface of the pleather peeled off...if that was still there I'd probably want to keep them a codernaut suits.

Besides the lost backpacks, they seem to have lost some other assorted bits over the years: at some point, the correct blown faceplates were replaced by flat plastic, and they lost the details off the neck and wrist rings. The gloves and boots provided are also wrong. Still, all in all, a space suit is a space suit, and the pair of these cost a lot less than my Nostromo suit.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 28-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 29-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

OK, been working on one of the helmets today, as I'm considering displaying one of the suits at a local event next week.

I've made 2 sets of 2 'datapacks' to take the place of the molded in ones that were cut away when they made holes in the helmet shell under the 'air scoops': the replacements have a thick plate glues to the back so they pop right into the cavity and align themselves. I've also dremeled a reveal that is the same thickness (1/16") as the sheet ABS I used to make the replacement packs out of, so there is no apparently difference in thickness between the molded in packs and the replacements.

One the new parts are dry, I'll make brackets so the new parts will be held into the holes from the inside of the helmet by screws: thus, the packs can be removed and the helmet returned to original condition if desired. Since the packs on the original are dark blue, and the helmet is light blue, I can paint the old and new packs at the same time and they will all be the same color without repainting the whole helmet.
Old 29-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

I think that the colour of the "datapacks" were only blue on the moon suit helmets. They were black on the discovery ones

Old 29-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
I think that the colour of the "datapacks" were only blue on the moon suit helmets. They were black on the discovery ones
Well, since these helmets are apparently replicas of the moon suit helmet, If I painted them black I'd be intentionally doing it wrong....on the other hand, in 2010 they apparently did them wrong...

The data packs are definitely the moon type: they have the row 3 long rectangular details toward the bottom.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 29-07-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 29-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Sorry, I misunderstood because the moon suit doesn't appear on 2010.
Old 29-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Things are getting confusing.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Things are getting confusing.
Well, its just that for some reason, on 2010 helmets they replicated the type of data packs on the moon suit instead of the discovery suits. Also, they did them wrong: the shape is off, and they go too far around the helmet. That's what made it so easy to identify.
Old 22-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Xerxes Iguana
Waste Technician

I was watching the second episode of Blakes 7 tonight and was gobsmacked when I realised that the anonymous bit of equipment on the roof of the transfer tube which connected the London to the Liberator was in fact the backpack from a 2001 spacesuit.

After a bit of Googling around I discovered that these backpacks have form, turning up in a number of Doctor Who episodes. See the post on Say; Hello Spaceman for more details. Sadly, this site doesn't seem to have any info on the IBM suits.

The bridge of the London is also full of UFO Moonbase consoles, but where haven't they turned up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.7 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Xerxes Iguana; 22-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Old 22-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes Iguana View Post
I was watching the second episode of Blakes 7 tonight and was gobsmacked when I realised that the anonymous bit of equipment on the roof of the transfer tube which connected the London to the Liberator was in fact the backpack from a 2001 spacesuit.

After a bit of Googling around I discovered that these backpacks have form, turning up in a number of Doctor Who episodes. See the post on Say; Hello Spaceman for more details. Sadly, this site doesn't seem to have any info on the IBM suits.

The bridge of the London is also full of UFO Moonbase consoles, but where haven't they turned up?
Yes, I remember them being the consoles on the SWINETREK from 'pigs in space'.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #17
Xerxes Iguana
Waste Technician

The repository of all things spacesuits - Say; Hello Spaceman - has a new post on the IBM "Codernaut" suits. Including some more advert samples: http://sayhellospaceman.blogspot.com...aign-2001.html