Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default My earliest scratchbuild...re-discovered !

On a clearout of the loft , I discovered a large box of model stuff long forgotten , in which I discovered some models I built 20 years ago for a video/movie project I was involved in ( in a previous life , I had a small video production business ). It was a pleasant surprise as I thought them long gone and a few are even worth a re-vamp . These were my first "serious" attempts at scratchbuilding and being models built for filming , the level of detailing and finish on close inspection could seem a little "rough "!
This first one one was quite literally a background model and as such , is nothing groundbreaking design wise ( I took a little inspiration from a design I found in one of the Star Wars EU "Technical Manuals ") but I quite like the general shape and could be worked into something interesting . I must add , I've already added a new colour scheme as the original one was a bland beige colour ( for reasons to do with the specifics of filming ) . It was designed as a "Corporate Shuttle " , in it's new life , I see it as a "Troop Transport" , maybe in the Star Wars universe ( full circle there then !)

This one was more of a "hero model" and as such , a little more time was spent on it's design . It's looking a little worse for wear and is missing a few parts , but I plan on stripping it down and returning it to it's former glory .
I call it the "Osprey " and is designed as a general purpose "work vehicle" ( I envisioned it as a sort of "space pick-up" or Transit Van ). There were two built , this one , the "Early Bird II" and the "Tweetie Pie" . All the craft in the story were named after birds , though I don't recall were I got that idea !

There are a few more ships , but some need a little work before I'm happy with posting pics . And yes , there IS an "Eagle " .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Very nice! I especially like the second one with the Zoids cockpit. Hope to see more soon.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Very nice! I especially like the second one with the Zoids cockpit. Hope to see more soon.
Well spotted !

P.s , apologies for the rather scrappy pics , I spent ages cropping and cleaning them up on Photobucket , only for it to totally ignore me and post the original shots !

Last edited by thundergod; 21-08-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 21-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Excellent looking scratch builds thunder.....

I reckon you'll work your magic and return them to their former glory mate.
Nice loft find.... Oh and what happened to the movie idea?

Will be keen to see this thread grow...
Regards Andy.
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Awesome looking scratchbuilds.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappynutter View Post
Excellent looking scratch builds thunder.....

I reckon you'll work your magic and return them to their former glory mate.
Nice loft find.... Oh and what happened to the movie idea?

Will be keen to see this thread grow...
Regards Andy.
Back then , I had a small video production company which dealt mostly with corporate stuff , training videos and the like , ( this was in the very early days of this kind of thing ) as well as weddings , kids parties etc . We also entered into music videos as my business partner owned a recording studio/rehearsal room .As a sideline , we dabbled with more interesting stuff and often entered competitions with little horror movies and shorts . We harboured the idea of an SF movie and spent the best part of two years in "pre-production" of our masterpiece . Our idea was quite ambitious , being basically an animated film , but using "green screen " techniques to add real actors into the action . Unfortunately , for a few reasons , the company folded before the project bore any results . This was before the "digital revolution " and so all the work we did exists only on floppy discs , computer files and VHS video ! Bear in mind , these were the days when it took us close on TWO WEEKS of evenings to shoot a single scene of a character's head and shoulders and then place it in an "animated" ships cockpit ! ( A similar thing my 10 year old son does in "real time" now in school in an afternoon ). I'm still in contact with my ex business partner ( he now teaches media etc .) and we often talk of resurrecting the project , so you never know , it MAY still one day surface . The reason I was genuinely surprised at finding the models , was I thought they'd been left at our premises when the business ended .
Old 23-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

A little more renovation done on the "Republic Troop Transport" . I've added landing gear and repainted the model with some light grey I had handy . Unfortunately , the paint in some areas is making the panel detail a little soft ( it was originally sprayed with car paints , so the paint is getting a little thick , here and there !) and is actually beginning to "raise" a little , but short of stripping it all and starting over ( which , to be honest , I'm not really prepared to do ) , there's not a lot I can do about it . As I'm rubbing down with light sanding pads between coats , it's not a problem as such and any problem areas I can always disguise with weathering and damage ! ( The "universal get -out" of the Star Wars modeller ! )