Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
yorkie
Geological Technician

Default New TB1 design for Thunderbirds are Go (2015)?

Thanks to Kevin on the Fanderson Facebook page for finding this- http://downthetubes.net/?p=12031

Not much to go on but if right it's looks like the vehicles are being redesigned for the the new series. Gerry always said that new designs were more likely to sell merchandising than redoing the old vehicles, which is why New Captain Scarlet had different vehicles to classic Scarlet. Any thoughts?
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Why can't they leave the original designs alone, I was looking forward to this series but it seems they always like to tinker and 'improve' the craft. I can see this series being a cross between the Japanese animated series and that awful Frakes film.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Ooooo looks worrying like a manga design This design looks like there trying for a 'bird like' look?- the panelling behind the nose cone looks, feather like?
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default For once, leave things as they are.....

I liked the New Captain Scarlet vehicles as much as the original ones, but then I was never as big a fan of CS as I was Thunderbirds. I think there's a strong case for leaving well alone, but going for really accurate weathering and that "hard-worked" look after repeated missions. One episode's worth, at least, where one of the hero machines is out of commission due to major overhaul (although not necessarily shot down!)

Look at the craftsmanship on this very site, and the beautiful rendering of the vehicles - wear and tear and all. Surely not beyond the wit of clever CGI people to copy this, and even design three or four versions of the same craft ranging from "showroom condition" to "heavy hazard damamge" (blistered paint, dents et al).

Anyway, leave well alone ITV - the craft looked great then and they can do so again.....but then nobody listens to the fans, do they?

"We're not gonna make it.......we're running out of runway!!......"

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Geoff Ellis
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Why can't they leave the original designs alone, I was looking forward to this series but it seems they always like to tinker and 'improve' the craft. I can see this series being a cross between the Japanese animated series and that awful Frakes film.
I don't like to be cynical, but I just don't feel any enthusiasm for this project. I suppose if successful, a new version helps to keep the interest in Gerry Anderson productions generally, but personally I'm far more interested to see GF1 as a new concept altogether, along with the 'Supermarionation' style productions that Sean Robinson is intending to make.
Geoff Ellis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default ...And You Don't Mess Around With HIM!! (Again...)

To yorkie: thanks for forwarding that link! Did everyone scroll all the way down, to read the two comments that had been posted? Echoes some of our own concerns...

Those of you out there who've labored (and still do!) to re-create those five original, iconic designs know all too well that you're standing on the shoulders of giants.

They still look great, they've stood the test of time.

Then again, time has advanced, of course; and that makes the notion of tweeeeking these classics awfully tempting. Do so at your own peril! I would trifle with such perfection very, VERY CAREFULLY.

I do hope we're not already headed down that ol' proverbial primrose path. Especially the Tracy boys, who alas have been this route once already...

boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
fab1
Communications Officer

Its sadly all about merchandising so must have new toys is top of the tree. Guess the next toy fairs will reveal the true nature of the project.
Interesting that the old design of Tracy Island on Blue Peter attracted over 100,000 requests for plans, not bad for a programme nearly thirty years after production. Shows that kids like and will buy the originals if they are re marketed.
fab1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I liked the New Captain Scarlet vehicles as much as the original ones, but then I was never as big a fan of CS as I was Thunderbirds. ....
Agree. I hope Thunderbirds[T1, T2, T3, T4] still look close to the originals as possible.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Apprehensive
I get worried when people try to update and improve on classic designs, they often miss the reasons why the original designs worked so well.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
I get worried when people try to update and improve on classic designs, they often miss the reasons why the original designs worked so well.
From a purely design standpoint: I think many times when old things get revamped there is change for change's sake. Someone gets hired to "update" something, and in order to earn their pay, by George, they're going to update it! For better or worse.*

*Usually worse.
Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

The only redesign element I did like from the Frakes movie was adding the thruster-landing gear on TB-3, personally I think a lot of the classic Anderson designs were a bit weak in how things landed.
I would not mind subtle enhancements, details we never saw on screen, but part of the 'look' of the Thunderbirds was a strong hull shape made up of smaller smooth panels- covering it with fussy greebly and layered plates is the wrong way to go.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
Its sadly all about merchandising so must have new toys is top of the tree. Guess the next toy fairs will reveal the true nature of the project.
Interesting that the old design of Tracy Island on Blue Peter attracted over 100,000 requests for plans, not bad for a programme nearly thirty years after production. Shows that kids like and will buy the originals if they are re marketed.
Indeed. Although the really big revival for Thunderbirds was two decades ago. The last, slightly smaller, revival was 13 years ago. So probably doesn't reflect much on what kids today think. I hope the series does get another renaissance, but if it doesn't - well, it's had nearly five decades of success which is pretty amazing.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
fab1
Communications Officer

Your right, five decades isn't bad but with careful thought it could have another revival. You may or may not like Dr Who but you cant help comparing the two productions.
The BBC have never tampered with the original Tardis exterior or programme concept just look at the backlash when they modified the Daleks. Such a powerful fan base!
Small changes will keep current as well as gaining new fans for Thunderbirds.
Look at the BBC and Dr Who Mr Jackson.........
Change is inevitable, 'subtle' is a lovely word.
Old 21-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
fab1
Communications Officer

Just found this promo link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmvrFg-EhmI#t=10
Old 21-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
Your right, five decades isn't bad but with careful thought it could have another revival. You may or may not like Dr Who but you cant help comparing the two productions.
The BBC have never tampered with the original Tardis exterior or programme concept just look at the backlash when they modified the Daleks. Such a powerful fan base!
Small changes will keep current as well as gaining new fans for Thunderbirds.
Look at the BBC and Dr Who Mr Jackson.........
Change is inevitable, 'subtle' is a lovely word.
Doctor Who is very different to Thunderbirds though. It has kept evolving. Whereas Thunderbirds has managed the extraordinary feat of surviving on its original 32 episodes. The magic of Thunderbirds isn't just in the concept - but in the way it was made.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
fab1
Communications Officer

Yes Dr Who has evolved but when it was relaunched they didn't mess with the original monster designs too much, subtle changes to start. Once the BBC had fans both old and new on board they pushed more dramatic ideas but even now you can still associate the modern with the original.
The new TB1 design is a major step away from the original, very Manga and like an idea projected for a previous Thunderbird failed project.
Old 23-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

It looks like the creative staff at ITV Studios are keeping everything
under careful wraps.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Don't know what the hell to make of that. I don't like the fish scale look behind the nose for starters.

And it looks suspiciously like this old Glencoe kit -

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/DIS...OON%20PAGE.htm
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Chas Cheese
Waste Technician

A friend of mine is working on it in NZ and he sez 'they are following the profiles of the originals', in the craft and that illustration is a bum steer by ITV or someone who knows nothing about the original.. ...
Chas Cheese is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Cheese View Post
A friend of mine is working on it in NZ and he sez 'they are following the profiles of the originals', in the craft and that illustration is a bum steer by ITV or someone who knows nothing about the original.. ...

Well I'm more inclined to trust the NZ studios to do a better job on a new Gerry Anderson series than the US ones so let's hope so.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote