Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default New Real-Life, Rotating-Moon Video!

Simply astounding: this two-minutes-plus YouTube video from our friends at Space.com!

If the Moon really could rotate on its axis, like we do (and not be "locked" into showing only one side of itself to us), what might we see?

If you were an Eagle Transporter, for instance, you might see something like this...

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/catch...oon-4B11187479

http://www.space.com/22825-mesmerizi...er-images.html

Last edited by boatshewsd2; 18-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Whoa, nice find....

The moon is surprisingly black in places and looks dreary, you really do get the sense of "beautiful desolation".
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Fascinating......

Thanks for posting this, Boatshewsd2 - reading the article which accompnaies it, yet again it shows up my shocking ignorance when it comes to all things lunar. I used to wonder if people on the opposite side of the world saw the opposite side of the Moon (ie they never saw the Man in the Moon as I do), but it seems that's not the case.

So does the Moon not rotate at all, then? And, if that's the case, where does the gravity (approximately 1/6 of Earth's pull) come from? I always thought that a planetary body had to rotate for it to possess a gravitational pull.....

And on, and on.....however, that's not the reason you posted the video so, once again, thanks for posting it.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
hwels
Communications Officer

I think that the people down under don't see the man in the moon as we do, unless they are standing upside down, then they do or ...

Well, there is always a dark side of the moon, but that's not the same as the far side of the moon or am i just becoming lunatic?

And the rotation of the moon is depending on your point of view. But you can always say the the earth-moon system is rotating around the sun.

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon ..

Sorry, to much Pink Floyd in my head ...
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Yes, the Moon rotates. Its rotation period coincides with its orbital period around the Earth, which is why it always presents (nearly) the same face to us. This is described as “tidally locked”, and happens as a consequence of Earth’s gravity.

Of course, the Moon is returning the favour. But because it’s so much smaller and the Earth so much bigger, it’s taking a bit longer to slow the Earth’s rotation down so it, too, is tidally locked to the Moon.

In the meantime, we have tides...
ldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

http://io9.com/happy-5th-anniversary...ter-1592672197

Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Gravity doesn't need rotation. Gravity is an intrinsic property of all objects. What you are getting confused with is rotation about an axis to create "fake" gravity via centripetal "force", just like swinging a bucket of water around in a circle.

Its not gravity its Newton's 2nd law of motion (An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.)
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote