SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
tipam
Life Support Technician

Default 3D printer model of Command Module

Hi Everyone,

As it's my first post, I hope I'm in the right place! I've been working on a 3D command module that is fully 3D-printer friendly.

It will detail the cockpit and easily allow for printed panel inserts and LED lighting. It will have a door that slides and I hope to put a purpose built battery compartment so you can insert AA batteries and a place for a switch etc..

Attached is a pic of the (near) completed command module which I will make available on thingiverse.com at some point.

If you've got any more recommendations, please let me know.
tipam is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
tipam
Life Support Technician

Yes, it can be scaled to anything you like (provided your print bed is big enough!) ... if you don't have a 3D printer then it can be professionally printed with companies like www.shapeways.com at the scale you want.

As soon as I've printed this one, I'll upload some pics for you to see. I've got a fused-filament type 3D printer, so the pics will give you some idea of the quality.

... just thinking about scale - the nose cone is just a tad too big for my 3D printer. It would have to be printed in two halves for a 44" model.

Last edited by tipam; 04-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipam View Post
Hi Everyone,

As it's my first post, I hope I'm in the right place! I've been working on a 3D command module that is fully 3D-printer friendly.

It will detail the cockpit and easily allow for printed panel inserts and LED lighting. It will have a door that slides and I hope to put a purpose built battery compartment so you can insert AA batteries and a place for a switch etc..

Attached is a pic of the (near) completed command module which I will make available on thingiverse.com at some point.

If you've got any more recommendations, please let me know.
Hi there! I'm also really interested. If you have an STL file you'd be willing to share that would be great. I'd like to have a got at scaling it to the 12" build. I've recently created the 3D parts for all of the main areas on the MPC/AMT/Airfix Eagle that need to be modded to be more accurate from the walkways and cages through to the engine bells, along with a whole sheet of photo etch to detail the flat areas. The only model I hadn't got round to yet was the CM so you've beat me to it.
Parhelion is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
Hi there! I'm also really interested. If you have an STL file you'd be willing to share that would be great. I'd like to have a got at scaling it to the 12" build. I've recently created the 3D parts for all of the main areas on the MPC/AMT/Airfix Eagle that need to be modded to be more accurate from the walkways and cages through to the engine bells, along with a whole sheet of photo etch to detail the flat areas. The only model I hadn't got round to yet was the CM so you've beat me to it.
Hi Parhelion - I've almost completed this one and will try to get one to you asap (12"). What 3D printer are you using?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Hi Parhelion - I've almost completed this one and will try to get one to you asap (12"). What 3D printer are you using?
Hi Tipam

I'm currently getting my prints done by Shapeways. My printer of choice - Form1 - isn't available for a couple of months. If you can save to a plain .stl that would be great. No need to rescale to 12" either if the model is larger. In fact I prefer the larger size to work with, I tend to get better resolution once the final is reduced to desired scale.

I did my first run of parts recently. Most of them worked out fine including the cages, landing gear supports, engine frame, etc. and I'm running off duplicates for a second model. Had to rework the walkways and spine which are being re-run. I've also created the parts for a nuclear waste carrying pod complete with cannisters. Hoping to receive all the new parts within the next couple of weeks and will post pictures. Cheers for now.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
tipam
Life Support Technician

Here's another snapshot which I've just submitted to the printer (1/50th scale) so it will probably take (at least) all night. I've completed the back of the cockpit and added brims to stabilize the nosecone (and hopefully avoid warping).

Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Here's another snapshot which I've just submitted to the printer (1/50th scale) so it will probably take (at least) all night. I've completed the back of the cockpit and added brims to stabilize the nosecone (and hopefully avoid warping).

Very nice renders. What CAD program are you using?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Very nice renders. What CAD program are you using?
I'm using 3DS Max 7 which does the job. Renders are from the quick view. I've constructed most of the eagle (inc. spine, engines and pods) .. again, I'll optimize these for a 3D printer.

I've yet to model the compartments and corridors in any detail - they shouldn't take too long.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
tipam
Life Support Technician

OK - here is a plain STL version (no printer supports) of the Eagle One CM ...

EagleOne-CM-ReadMe.zip

Please note that it has not yet been printed and tested. Please also take a look at Readme1st.txt in the zip.

Have fun!

Ps. if anyone wants to view the model (and convert it to gcode/x3g or whatever), use ReplicatorG from http://replicat.org/download

Last edited by tipam; 04-02-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: ReplicatorG addition
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
OK - here is a plain STL version (no printer supports) of the Eagle One CM ...

EagleOne-CM-ReadMe.zip

Please note that it has not yet been printed and tested. Please also take a look at Readme1st.txt in the zip.

Have fun!

Ps. if anyone wants to view the model (and convert it to gcode/x3g or whatever), use ReplicatorG from http://replicat.org/download
Understand where your coming from. I've made a few models in Max and other software also. What we want to see is close-up pics of the printed version...most of us are old school. Get a demo made and post the pics that's your best bet. Looks great though and well done !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Understand where your coming from. I've made a few models in Max and other software also. What we want to see is close-up pics of the printed version...most of us are old school. Get a demo made and post the pics that's your best bet. Looks great though and well done !
... I'll do my best and hope it works out well

... This is an awful pic, but it should be done by the time I get back from work!! (looks like one of the supports came off - nothing serious)

Last edited by tipam; 05-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
... I'll do my best and hope it works out well

... This is an awful pic, but it should be done by the time I get back from work!! (looks like one of the supports came off - nothing serious)

Hey, not bad at all. Here's a little image of the parts I've run off so far for the 12" Eagle. The Walkways are test shots and new versions are now being printed. You can also see some of my etched parts in the background. What printer are you using by the way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D Parts C NGM.jpg (191.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Hey, not bad at all. Here's a little image of the parts I've run off so far for the 12" Eagle. The Walkways are test shots and new versions are now being printed. You can also see some of my etched parts in the background. What printer are you using by the way?
Wow - those parts are really nice. Shapeways does do a great job!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
tipam
Life Support Technician

OK - here's the pics of what my Duplicator 4 produced as a rough draft copy (ABS plastic) ...

Notes
- There was some warp on the back part - I'll add a brim next time
- The cabin lacks detail - I'll print at a slower speed and finer step
- The door was slightly too thick - needs a deeper slot
- The catches didn't fit

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised that it came out as well as it did for a first try.

Panels are slightly thicker so they can be sanded down smooth - only the brims and supports were removed in these pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM-back.jpg (64.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg CM-bottom.jpg (50.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg CM-cabin.jpg (110.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg CM-door.jpg (108.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg CM-nosecone.jpg (64.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg CM-nosecone2.jpg (56.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CM-noseinside.jpg (49.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CM-sideview.jpg (59.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg CM-front.jpg (53.9 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by tipam; 05-02-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
OK - here's the pics of what my Duplicator 4 produced as a rough draft copy (ABS plastic) ...

Notes
- There was some warp on the back part - I'll add a brim next time
- The cabin lacks detail - I'll print at a slower speed and finer step
- The door was slightly too thick - needs a deeper slot
- The catches didn't fit

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised that it came out as well as it did for a first try.

Panels are slightly thicker so they can be sanded down smooth - only the brims and supports were removed in these pics
Ohhh... the temptation to run out and get myself a 3D printer now...

I'm playing round with your STL file at the moment. Trying to scale it to my walkway prints. I'll try a test shot via Shapeways - non commercial/non-public obviously - and show you what I get. I've also split the CM into two parts and hollowed out the areas for the sensor domes. The next piece I'm tempted to have a go at is a lab pod. I did mull over the idea of printing off a launch pad for the 12" but figured that would be expensively silly So might just have a crack at the passenger pod internals. Watch this space

Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Ohhh... the temptation to run out and get myself a 3D printer now...

I'm playing round with your STL file at the moment. Trying to scale it to my walkway prints. I'll try a test shot via Shapeways - non commercial/non-public obviously - and show you what I get. I've also split the CM into two parts and hollowed out the areas for the sensor domes. The next piece I'm tempted to have a go at is a lab pod. I did mull over the idea of printing off a launch pad for the 12" but figured that would be expensively silly So might just have a crack at the passenger pod internals. Watch this space
... that's great - I'd like to see how it comes out with Shapeways. To be honest, if you have a 3D printer, it's pretty cheap to print out ... my mission is to produce a complete 50" (detailed) kit that can be printed on a home 3D printer
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
Parhelion
Life Support Technician

Quote:
... that's great - I'd like to see how it comes out with Shapeways. To be honest, if you have a 3D printer, it's pretty cheap to print out ... my mission is to produce a complete 50" (detailed) kit that can be printed on a home 3D printer
I'm definately getting a 3D printer. The amount I've put through Shapeways already more than justifies the investment and that doesn't even cover the other projects I have in mind. It's really a matter of choosing which one. I had been holding out for a Form1 because I like the results produced by the Stereolithography machines, though I'm tempted to pop over to iMakr at the weekend and try some of my files out on the Hi-Res FD printers in stock to see if any of them would suit. Ahhh... the temptation!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
tipam
Life Support Technician

Quote:
I'm definately getting a 3D printer. The amount I've put through Shapeways already more than justifies the investment and that doesn't even cover the other projects I have in mind. It's really a matter of choosing which one. I had been holding out for a Form1 because I like the results produced by the Stereolithography machines, though I'm tempted to pop over to iMakr at the weekend and try some of my files out on the Hi-Res FD printers in stock to see if any of them would suit. Ahhh... the temptation!
I bought a Wanhao Duplicator 4 (dual extruder) which isn't the cheapest but produces good results. It does take some time getting used to - especially when bits come off the heated-bed half way through!! (I now use PVA glue to weld large objects down after a few layers have printed - now I dont get this problem)

A 1kg reel of ABS cost around 18 but they last ages! I've printed loads of bits using one white reel.

It won't ever be as good as Shapeways, but a bit of sanding, undercoat and paint, you can make great models

Last edited by tipam; 05-02-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: awful english
Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
tipam
Life Support Technician

Default Landing pod

Hi - Just about to print a 1/50 scale version of an Eagle one landing pod. It should operate with spring suspension ...

... As bits have been printing out, I'm quite surprised to see how well some of the parts have printed ...

... here's the command module with a bit of primer on it ...

Last edited by tipam; 07-02-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #20
tipam
Life Support Technician

Landing pod

Here's a quick pic of the landing pod assembly. I took a spring from a cheap retractable pen and it works a treat for the suspension ...

(Please note that renderings are rough drafts - they will get perfected as I go along!)

Last edited by tipam; 07-02-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Tags
3d printing, command module, printed, thingiverse