portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Release Date May 13th 2014

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-PER-CUSTOMER/
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

If its US, it better be region ALL, and the picture not butchered like Carlton did with the TV Series...
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
hwels
Communications Officer

I ordered my copy yesterday. The website says it's region free, so it should play here in The Netherlands and everywhere else.
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Mine was delivered yesterday.
Really nice sharp picture. The colours pop! There is grain evident throughout, but that's due to the Techniscope format the original was shot in.
There's quite a few extras, including interviews with Gerry Anderson (archive obviously),Jamie Anderson,Sylvia Anderson, and David Lane, and recently recovered black and white footage of Cliff Richards and the Shadows miming the songs for the film, for marionette reference.

Well worth the money!

Old 20-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
fab1
Communications Officer

Most of the documentaries are 10 years old. The grain is terrible and ruins the films for me, Its a better watching experience as a dvd upscaled.
If there is going to be no benefit in putting this onto Blu Ray then why bother?
The TV series on Blu ray is brilliant this is poor.
fab1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

The grain is a feature of the films because of the format they were shot in, they are roughly 1/2 the resolution of the TV show

Here are some other reviews, including exactly whats on the disc

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thunde...103295/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thunde...103296/#Review
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
gwent
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
Most of the documentaries are 10 years old. The grain is terrible and ruins the films for me, Its a better watching experience as a dvd upscaled.
If there is going to be no benefit in putting this onto Blu Ray then why bother?
The TV series on Blu ray is brilliant this is poor.
I own the blu-ray and the films look gorgeous for the most part, with just a small amount of damage in a few scenes. The film grain is what makes up the fine detail in the image. Film has grain. These are films from the 60's. I would have been pissed if they had removed the grain, because without the grain you have no detail, resulting in waxy, ugly video. The blu-ray is exactly how these films should look. They did a very nice job.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
fab1
Communications Officer

Its better viewing as upscaled dvd. There is little benefit in having this on Blu Ray even the documentaries are ten years old.
I love the quality of the Thunderbirds TV Blu ray, yes its cropped but a viewing pleasure. I would rather have that quality with a smaller screen image.
Post some Blu ray grabs of the films especially the sky elements and let others judge.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
ac-60
Medical Technician

Default Up-scaling...

Quote:
Its better viewing as upscaled dvd. There is little benefit in having this on Blu Ray even the documentaries are ten years old.
I love the quality of the Thunderbirds TV Blu ray, yes its cropped but a viewing pleasure. I would rather have that quality with a smaller screen image.
Post some Blu ray grabs of the films especially the sky elements and let others judge.
Up-scaling won't ever match Blu-Ray quality! It doesn't add detail, it simply matches the resolution of the feed to the resolution of the panel - all flat screen TVs have a scaler. Wouldn't work without one. I do wish people would stop parroting the twaddle put out by the TV manufacturers!

The sole problem with the Blu-Ray of Thunderbirds Are Go! is a slight frame-to-frame 'flicker' - it's really only noticeable on the shots with lots of sky - so it might be contrast related? Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Otherwise it looks as good as half-frame 35 will ever look and yes, it is better than a standard DVD. By same way. Well worth the money and region-free, too.
ac-60 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

On the extras ...
Unfortunately, the isolated score, is NOT an isolated score, it's the music and effects only.
This version of the audio would normally be used to allow the films to be dubbed into languages other than English

Get the score on DVD from here

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-1200-EDITION/

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
fab1
Communications Officer

One of my friends bought this and played it on a Samsung 50" TV and agreed the quality is hopeless.
Glad its not just me!

We both agree viewing the DVD is a much better experience...........

Not worth the money!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
One of my friends bought this and played it on a Samsung 50" TV and agreed the quality is hopeless.
Glad its not just me!

We both agree viewing the DVD is a much better experience...........

Not worth the money!!!!!!!!!!
The quality isn't hopeless at all. Unfortunately, what you gain in detail is slightly hindered by the fact Techniscope is such a grainy format. Thunderbird 6 is the same transfer as on the DVD (albeit it in higher resolution), but Thunderbirds Are Go is a striking improvement over the DVD. You personally might not like the difference (and I agree the grain is distracting), but that's not the same as it being a bad transfer.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
fab1
Communications Officer

The problem is we expect better if its restored and on Blu ray.

This is poor and you have to ask why bother if no obvious improvement is gained.
Im glad you mentioned the distracting grain as when I complained I was told there was none!

The DVD copies are so much nicer to watch.

Such a shame.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
The problem is we expect better if its restored and on Blu ray.

This is poor and you have to ask why bother if no obvious improvement is gained.
Im glad you mentioned the distracting grain as when I complained I was told there was none!

The DVD copies are so much nicer to watch.

Such a shame.
It's not poor at all. You don't seem to understand that Techniscope is a 16mm equivalent. The TV series was shot on 35mm. The DVD copies aren't nicer to look at - and there is nothing wrong with the restoration of Thunderbirds Are Go. Thunderbird 6 is a bit mushy looking which is disappointing, but all the things you are complaining about are inherent in the source material. You are expecting something that isn't possible. Maybe your television isn't set up properly? Most people seem very happy with the new transfers. As I say - it will never look like the TV series because it was shot on an inferior format.

To my eyes, Thunderbirds Are Go looks excellent - if a little contrasty.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
ac-60
Medical Technician

Both films look good - to get anything more out of the prints would have taken a lot of work and money... cash that would have made the disc unprofitable to press.

Is it perfect? No. Is it very good? Oh, yes...
Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
fab1
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
It's not poor at all. You don't seem to understand that Techniscope is a 16mm equivalent. The TV series was shot on 35mm. The DVD copies aren't nicer to look at - and there is nothing wrong with the restoration of Thunderbirds Are Go. Thunderbird 6 is a bit mushy looking which is disappointing, but all the things you are complaining about are inherent in the source material. You are expecting something that isn't possible. Maybe your television isn't set up properly? Most people seem very happy with the new transfers. As I say - it will never look like the TV series because it was shot on an inferior format.

To my eyes, Thunderbirds Are Go looks excellent - if a little contrasty.
Two TVs two different people both with the same criticism. Both TV's are 50" state of the art and set up correctly being of the smart type.
You highlight the faults which we concur with yourself.
The 16mm Dr Who Spearhead From Space now on Blu ray is excellent, surely we are looking at the same level of image data for TB6 and TB Are Go?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
ac-60
Medical Technician

The problem with slightly soft images is that when shown on large screen TVs that add frames - 100hz-plus interpolation - the problem can get worse. The processing that creates the extra fields/frames finds it hard to latch onto the basic data and things start to get jelly-like. As a rule I avoid 100hz etc... panels as I notice the interpolation artefacts. Not everyone does - but to my eyes they look nasty.

Spearhead looks okay... but it's not fantastic. I've seen better 16mm HD transfers. A lot depends on the state of the neg and its original quality.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Two people have that criticism… many don't. And just having a good television is no reflection on whether it's set up well.

You are entitled not to like the image - but there is nothing technically wrong with Are Go at all. TB6, yes. The image is lacking definition.

And you can't compare Spearhead from Space with Thunderbirds Are Go. Not only are they different film stocks and lenses, you are comparing a conventionally-shot live-action drama with an animated series filmed entirely in miniature. Even in the TV series you can see that the grain increases considerably on the effects shots due to the high speed photography.

Basically, if you have a complaint you need to raise it with Gerry and Derek - as they decided to shoot on Techniscope.

Whilst I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of detail in Thunderbird 6, I think the Twilight Time discs are pretty damn good and the best we're likely to have for some time.

Last edited by Masterspy; 02-09-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
fab1
Communications Officer

Just how do I need to set up a Panasonic TX-P50ST50B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma TV to watch Thunderbirds?