SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Default My attempt at rebuilding the fuel pods for my old airfix Eagle

Hello All,

I just thought I would share a few photos of the work in progress on my old airfix eagle that I took apart to rebuild. I just completed building the first parts of the new fuel pods. and started cutting up the passenger pod, and took the command pod apart. I've had this old model since I was a teen, and decided to rebuild her more accurate if I can. But thought you might like to see how things are going.
Any thoughts or suggestions on rebuilding these parts would be more than welcome.
Thank you for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 344.jpg (188.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 348.jpg (174.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 350.jpg (187.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 339.jpg (174.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 341.jpg (176.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 335.jpg (184.4 KB, 76 views)
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Some fairly major surgery going on here....

...!ut she'll be worth when you've made all the modifications and get her reassembled. Keep us posted with more updates, and good luck!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Here is an update on the passenger pod. I cut down the angle of the window section. and recessed the docking latch connections on this section as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 356.jpg (170.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 355.jpg (177.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 357.jpg (169.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

here's the recessed area compared to the original kit part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 357.jpg (169.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 358.jpg (170.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Here's an update on the Command pod. The kits pod is actually about 1/16 of an inch too short in height. I added the 1/16 back in with plastic strip stock and then with mini files started putting the panels back in place. the side sensor holes will be filled in with putty. then with a round moto tool tip new ones to scale will be placed back in. the view ports are cut open as I intend to add seats and a pilot figure. I tend to move around from piece to piece. that way if i get stuck on an idea of what I want to do on one. I can let it rest and think about it while working on another. Thought you would lie the update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 361.jpg (172.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 363.jpg (169.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 365.jpg (171.2 KB, 85 views)

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

that's (like) the update. I type way too fast at times!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Here's a practice pilot. getting there with a crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 366.jpg (174.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 369.jpg (170.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Scaling new (CM) heights....

Never seen this done before. Would never have thought of this method. This is all fascinating stuff Eagle 3 - I support your rework of the much-maligned Airfix kit into something even more wonderful. For many of us, expensive garage kits and scratchbuilds are way out of reach, so to see what you're achieving is all the more inspiring. Plus, to hammer through as many changes as you've posted in a short space of time, you must be enjoying yourself - you're going to end up with one unique Eagle. Thanks for sharing,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Thank You Patrick,
I appreciate the kind comments and the interest, yes I am having a lot of fun rebuilding this old kit. The airfix and now round 2 kit has many possibilities to be turned into a nice model of an Eagle with just a little bit of work. And to me that is what modeling is. it is a bit of work that is meeting a challenge to see if you can hone your skills in adding that extra detail, changing what can be changed from an out of the box kit into something uniquely your own. coming up with ideas of how to make this or that, or what can be used to make them. And the interesting thing is, it's not as expensive as many think it can be if you simply use most of what is in the kit and just modify it to be as close, or look as close as you can make. Example, you can build lot of the cross over passage ways with 1 sheet of plastic sheet stock which is not that expensive, there is enough plastic in a sheet of plastic the size of a note book sheet to cut out all the parts of the passage ways and still have some plastic left over . I made the fuel tanks with 1 plastic tube. which there is enough left over to make second Eagle. and a few beads purchased at a dollar craft store. The cage railing is just frames you make from small brass or even aluminum tubing which again compared to what would be needed for a larger model will not break the bank. The rest is just salvaged and kit bashed from the kit it's self. In this way It gives a modeler not only a chance to learn new skills, hone other skills they may already know, but in the end have a model that they can say I built the model I dreamed of having.

As you commented, a lot of us can't afford expensive kits, or flat out 100% scratch builds. and there is also space to contend with. As much as I would love to build a larger Eagle, simple fact is where I currently live I just don't have the room to build and display one. where as my old 12 inch model can sit on a shelf, hang in a corner out of the way without fears of being damaged by accident, or being yelled at that it's taking up too much space and to move it somewhere else by other members of the house.
I enjoy the hobby of modeling, and thinking of ways I can do this, or add that part or build that piece as it's not here and should be. or how I can make a model be uniquely my work. And in the end can look at what I have done and say..I built that .

Again Thanks Patrick for the kind comments. It means a lot to hear some one likes what you are doing, and perhaps will start a project also.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Pilot Episode.....

Decades ago I fitted out the inside of an Airfix CM with seats, rudimentary control panels and a couple of astronaut pilots. Back in those days, LEDs and microlights didn't exist so, my handiwork could never be seen through the vision ports I cut out. It was all a bit amateurish, but at least I'd given it a go....

During a major revamp of the fleet in the late nineties, I ripped all of this out and concentrated on detailing the outer hull of the CM. Because I never spent that much when buying the Eagles in the first place (they retailed for the princely sum of 1.99 at the time!), I always felt comfortable hacking them about and changing things - they were hardly valuable collectibles after all.

Watching you dismantle your own Eagle makes me think, though.....maybe it's time to ground them and do some "upgrading" of my own........hmmmm.....

Thanks Eagle 3 - top thread, may your cement never go stringy nor your fingerprints show up in the final coat.....

Kindest regards

Patrick

Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Patrick appreciate the comments. And from what I have seen or your 44 inch build. she looks just fine. and will be a great addiction to your collection a real beauty. I agree on how much humans today have become complacent on building much of anything anymore. since the invention of the home computer, and video games the youth especially have seemed to lost interest in modeling. they would rather spend a fortune on games then invest time in building something they not only can can pride that they accomplished and built themselves. but could hand down to their own children someday. My friends heckle me at times cause I'm not that much into computer games, and spend time in my work shop. But my feeling is the powers that be gave me eyes to see, hands to work with, a brain to think, and a skill at building models and I am not willing to waste it. Building my models takes my mind off the troubles in life, a feeling of accomplishment in my own abilities, and the exercising of the grey matter in my brain to be creative. I walk away from my work bench feeling I have had a fulfilled day.
To hear you are thinking of working on your airfix Eagles because of my work is the greatest complement a modeler can hear. And it really made my day. that is what a part of modeling should be, creating interest and getting others to give their selves a chance to build something of their dreams.

here are more photos of updates on what I'm doing to my Eagle. she's moving right along. On the landing pads. I actually cut the unsightly box off the bottom where the landing strut attached. and filled in the opening with a scrap piece of plastic sheet and puttied over it. then glued the bock inside the pod to use not only as a guide to drill pack in the landing strut, but serve as an extra support brace for the new strut that will be built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 369.jpg (178.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 371.jpg (172.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 372.jpg (176.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 373.jpg (172.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 374.jpg (168.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 377.jpg (171.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 378.jpg (183.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 379.jpg (186.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

here's a few more updates on the rebuild
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 380.jpg (180.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 381.jpg (187.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 382.jpg (190.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 383.jpg (182.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Strut your stuff...,

Spot on Eagle 3, did the same thing myself with the landing gear. Used pieces of sprue for the struts, worked a treat. Working off tiny photographs pre-Internet, got the suspension brackets wrong but the principle was right. She's going to be a beauty - even post Breakaway, Technical would be upgrading and refitting all the time.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default White Bird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
Spot on Eagle 3, did the same thing myself with the landing gear. Used pieces of sprue for the struts, worked a treat. Working off tiny photographs pre-Internet, got the suspension brackets wrong but the principle was right. She's going to be a beauty - even post Breakaway, Technical would be upgrading and refitting all the time.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
Agreed, what with the Alphans' ever-evolving needs, Eagles would be pretty much constantly tweaked and tinkered with...never truly finished.

Eagle 3, that's quite a manifesto you posted earlier today. I feel very much that way about my fan-fic writing. A very different medium, yes - but springing from a shared, common source!

Pls keep those wonderful model-rebuild photos coming!

Last edited by boatshewsd2; 08-03-2014 at 01:30 AM.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

You are very right indeed Sir, Anything a person do well is a gift. rather it be modeling, painting, sculpting, writing, computer programing, or musical it is something to share and to enjoy, and to encourage others who share that same gift to push ahead and see what they can achieve. and in that respect we all share in a common source our interest and love of that gift.
and you both are very right, Eagles would be on constant, repair, upgrade, and enhancement to fit the ever changing situations they are called upon to do. all we have to do is look around us today. everything gets upgrades, or modifications to keep them in the forefront and still in operational readiness. So yes the Eagles would be the same way. Everything needs maintenance at some point. and it's good to take those old models who have sat. and give them a bit of love and care. and a little tweaking don't hurt either.
My Eagle is now taking some time getting the old paint stripped from her, so like her new parts and look...she will have a new paint job as well. But I will keep posting her upgrade photos as long as you guys are interested.
Fair winds and calm seas,
Chris

Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #16
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Here are the last things I finished on the rebuild today before cleaning up the shop and getting things ready to strip the paint off the model. I salvaged the small ball units the sit between the fuel canisters of the main motor assembly. the rings were sawed off as they are not scale and the wrong shape. new rings will be cut out of plastic sheet stock and the halves glued to them. also these are the kit parts that were all salvaged from the old kit to be used with the new scratch built fuel canisters. Again the old airfix, and new round 2 kit has useable parts that can be reworked and salvaged to rebuild your Eagle Transporter. you just have to do a little tweaking on them . But that's half the fun of modeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 385.jpg (177.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 386.jpg (178.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 387.jpg (184.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Guys and Gals Together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3 View Post
You are very right indeed Sir, Anything a person do well is a gift. rather it be modeling, painting, sculpting, writing, computer programing, or musical it is something to share and to enjoy, and to encourage others who share that same gift to push ahead and see what they can achieve. and in that respect we all share in a common source our interest and love of that gift.
and you both are very right, Eagles would be on constant, repair, upgrade, and enhancement to fit the ever changing situations they are called upon to do. all we have to do is look around us today. everything gets upgrades, or modifications to keep them in the forefront and still in operational readiness. So yes the Eagles would be the same way. Everything needs maintenance at some point. and it's good to take those old models who have sat. and give them a bit of love and care. and a little tweaking don't hurt either.
My Eagle is now taking some time getting the old paint stripped from her, so like her new parts and look...she will have a new paint job as well. But I will keep posting her upgrade photos as long as you guys are interested.
Fair winds and calm seas,
Chris
Roger that. You know, it struck me, while reading your response, that virtually ALL of the varied gifts you cited in your lead paragraph describe, to the proverbial T, every Anderson production!

It speaks so much of their quality, doesn't it, that we're still in the game - fan-gals and fan-guys alike - across all these years!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #18
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

To be completely honest, other than Space 1999 that I am watching on youtube and have some episodes on DVD. I have not watched any of the other Anderson creations. So I will take your word that all these things are in every Anderson production which is cool.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #19
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

I have to admit some sentimental regret to realizing stripping the paint off my Eagle will also destroy the tell tale airfix red and black checkered decal off the top of the Command Pod. Even though I realize this decal was never actually on any of the Eagles on the show. It defined the original airfix kit from the MPC recast. I think I shall actually miss it. but after all when the model is rebuilt and painted it would have had to go anyway. As Professor Bergman quoted in the black sun: To everything that was.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

Making a update: Testing the stripper today. got thinking about it last night and realized I have never used this stuff before and it could eat the plastic for all I know. so need to test it on a discarded piece first.
Hoping to start cutting the passage way corridors today. and give some thought to the landing struts. I realized this morning that there is no turning back now. the model is fully disassembled, and parts cut up and some discarded. so the project is committed. But that's what modeling is about isn't it.