Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default The Time Tunnel

Anybody else remember this old Irwin Allen gem? I used to enjoy watching it as a kid, what with being so heavily into science fiction and all.

Leaving aside all the caught-in-famous-historical-situation clichés, there were still one or two interesting episodes. For example, the second one, “One Way To The Moon’, is set ten years in the(ir) future, when our time travellers blunder onto a rocket on its way to Mars, with a saboteur on board. The interesting twist is when that same saboteur visits the Tunnel in the(ir) present...

The plots blithely skip over all the obvious potential for paradoxes that can arise with time travel. And also the fact that it completely destroys any concept of privacy. And the peculiar fact that, when they visit future eras, or make contact with more advanced societies, the inhabitants seem never to have developed an equivalent technology themselves.
ldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

i loved Time Tunnel. especially the highly impressive computer system lol
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default Re: Time Tunnel Computer System

Did you know that parts of it came from a real computer?

That same machine also appeared in a bunch of other movies.
Old 28-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Loved the show when I was growing up- I made a tunnel to play with using a coffee can with the bottom cut out, squeezed into an oval with balck & white construction paper...
Time paradoxes were largely ignored though I remember a couple of episodes where they talked about having to allow something to happen to preserve history.
Although you only saw it a couple of times, the massive Krell-like complex and the side view of the tunnel let you know how much power it took to control time.
The Season One DVD set has a bonus pilot from the attempted reboot- worth seeking out if you can.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I was most disappointed by the recent dvd release, as the episodes simply end without them jumping to the next adventure..... which was always the bit I enjoyed seeing.
Even worse the Moon episode mentioned above ends before the actual end!!!
The first time I've bought the new dvd and ended up having to keep the old videos too.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

The Tunnel is not actually a cylinder, it’s a series of rings (the black parts are the gaps between the rings).
Old 29-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default Clothing Reset

Another issue is what happens to their clothes in-between episodes. This is particularly glaring in episode 3: “End Of The World”, where they spend large amounts of time down a coal mine, and get properly smeared with coal dust on both their faces and clothes.

Yet, when they reappear at their next location, they are miraculously clean again.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

I always felt that when they transferred via the tunnel it rebooted them back to start conditions after all they would have starved or dehydrated.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default Ann MacGregor

Lee Meriwether’s character is described in one episode as “just a technician”. But far from being passive eye-candy or helpless victim, she gets a lot to do during the series. The high point would be the scene where she improvises a defibrillator out of some cabling from a damaged control cabinet, when a coworker has collapsed and is in danger of dying.

Tags
irwin allen, time travel, time tunnel