Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Star Wars I.S.T.A.P in 1/6 Scale

As I've always been a fan of the STAP from the prequels ( and Clone Wars show) , I thought it'd be interesting to conceptualise how the Empire would develop the design .Rather than a "combat " vehicle , I theorise that the concept would be utilised as a patrol or crowd control craft . This is reflected in my design . Here's what I've got so far .

And here after I've added the "wing/platform" and armour .

The ISTAP is scratchbuilt from sheet styrene and parts from "spray-mister" bottles I found in a "Poundshop" . The engine units are from an abandoned project from a year or so ago .

thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I've started to add some detail to the "head" of the ISTAP as well as mocking up the handlebars . The head's not permanently connected yet , as I'll need to finalise the position of the foot-rests etc . I want the position of the rider to be more straight up than on the Trade Federation version , as I imagine that riding position would be rather uncomfortable for a human pilot ! .

Old 31-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Back with bang!!!
Fantastic start Thunder... I like it lots, but you already knew I would!
Cannot wait to see the paint up and weathering..
Well done dude, another masterpiece in the making..
Regards Andy....
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Cheers Andy . I'll get some primer on the main part of the build over the next couple of days and then I can decide on a top coat . The obvious choice really is light grey , but I recently picked up a couple of spray cans of a "Grey Beige" colour which is quite interesting , so I may go for that . ( I used it on my Trade Federation Tank recently ).
Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Only had time for a little work on the ISTAP as I'm in need of re-stocking some materials . I've addeda mount to the side to house the troopers Sniper Rifle and I'm planning on adding a mount for the Macros on the top . Also decided on a Scout Trooper as rider , as Commander Vandash was just a place holder . I originally intended the rider to be a Sandtrooper , but as mine is a custom based on an early Sideshow Stormtrooper ,which suffers from the dreaded loose joints , getting him to stand/hold on to the ISTAP was a bit of a challenge !

Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Put a bit of grey primer on the ISTAP to give me some idea of how I'm doing . Still a bit of work to do , but it's moving along briskly !
Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
gumboot
Hydroponics Technician

I hope you intend to fit a harness to the figure so they are not hanging onto that thing just by their hands. Imagine the forces working on their body. It's a little different having a droid fly one as to having a human.
gumboot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I hope you intend to fit a harness to the figure so they are not hanging onto that thing just by their hands. Imagine the forces working on their body. It's a little different having a droid fly one as to having a human.
Exactly ! That's why I want a more " standing straight up" position , rather than " holding on for dear life ". I'm trying to figure out a support , rather than a harness . Sort of a bike saddle on a rod arrangement . I'd even considered making it look like it was "retro-fitted" , by the flyer , as if the pilots were sick and tired of falling off the contraption and customised them themselves . I'm trying to make the design reflect the fact that it has a human(oid) pilot , rather than a droid , hence the engine pods being set further out from the "wing" , so as not to blast the poor sucker off the thing !
Old 14-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default A Blast (excuse the pun) from the past.....

Thundergod, this is all very impressive and your rate of progress is exceptional. Couldn't believe it when I looked at the blue engine nozzles - when my Dad worked in an office in the seventies, he'd bring home these blue plastic things which, if I remember correctly, were at either end of cardboard tubes in middle of rolls of paper. I made a couple of rudimentary nuclear waste containers for my Airfix Eagle. I've just used the last one in my parts box on one of my Eagle's shelves.

Good to see the old traditions carried on even today....

Keep up the good work, and let's see more pictures of your progress,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Works been slow on the ISTAP the last couple of weeks as the small matter of my car being written off in a collision has taken up all of my spare time ! Anyhow , I got a little work done , mainly adding some detail to the "head" section with styrene strip , as well as the "intakes" of the engines . I found some vinyl medical tape which had a nice texture to it , which I used on these parts as well as to the "standing platform" of the wing section . It doesn't show up too well in the photos , but once it has some paint on , it'll add some interest to these areas .

This is the area were the head section is mounted to the wing . It's been cut to the correct size and shape and the holes expanded into slots . When I bring the parts together , I'll probably add a few wires and cables for detail .

The underside of the head has also been detailed with bits of tubing and a couple of parts from the guts of the spray bottles .

I've also started on a rudimentary seat/harness , to make riding the beast at least a little less traumatic for the pilot . ( My idea is to make this look like this was added later by the rider(s) , after a couple of close shaves/bad experiences !) :lol

And Patrick , well spotted on the engine nozzles . I'm a Chef by profession and the nozzles come from cling-film and aluminium foil rolls . I've hundreds of the things and EVERY one of my builds from the last few years has featured them ! They've become a bit of a trademark of mine and they'll no probably be a part of my next . ( Who am I kidding , they WILL be a part of my next ! )

Old 26-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quick update on the ISTAP . I've had a re-think of the seat/saddle arrangement . The actual seat is part of the stand of a Revell Pocket Kit and the "cushion" is sculpted from epoxy putty . I've also begun to add some weathering .
Old 29-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

More updates .

And I'm considering a new "designated driver " .

Old 29-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Making a stand.....

....I just love the kick-stand for the thing, a really neat idea and a nod to "realism" - just how would they park the things at the end of their shift? I like the pilot as well - a mixture of something with which we're all kind of familiar, but displaying your own personal input.

I've never been a big fan of the ever-expanding Star Wars universe, but your ISTAP is a beautiful piece of work.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote