Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Default 44" passenger pod - Newbe!

I have finally started after lurking around for an age.
Hope that posting here will generate the motivation for me to keep progress going. Hope someone is interested enough to keep pushing!

Anyway, the router has been running today and have made most panels. A contact has started machining pod landing feet for me, hope to get those soon.
It took a while to generate drawings for machining; Vtols next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (177.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by moonhugger; 05-05-2014 at 09:47 PM.
moonhugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Default Some Extra Pics

I struggled to add links / pics from Ipod. Hope this works!

Hi Richard

Some 3mm MDF and the window frames from 1mm HIPS
I might do the whole lot in HIPS - probably a similar price but the MDF cuts in one pass but a bit furry on the edges.

I have a CNC router - so six sets of parts, some spares and easy to produce when set up!

I want to build the full model - a big task! Starting with the PPod. Not sure about the brass work, I might do a combined brass/base plate in GRP (to start with anyway).

Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1-Parts.jpg (153.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2-Parts.jpg (149.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Pic3-Parts.jpg (77.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Cutting edge indeed....

It all looks vey professionally cut Julian - it's one thing having the right tolls, but another thing entirely to come up with precision parts....and you have. Pods tend to get less attention than the other parts of the Eagle, so please continue to post pictures of your progress - they'll be viewed with interest.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Nice neat work. I have a 4 axis foam cutter which can be converted to a rudimentary router, watching with interest.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the positive comments.

I thought I would share a better overview of my intensions.

Top and right side are the split layers, bottom and left side show the layers built up.

I haven’t shown the Perspex window inserts – they will fit from the inside and the white frame will sit on top of the Perspex.
I haven’t shown the top face – just a rectangle of MDF.
I will add some blocks of balsa where shape is needed along the sides etc and will use the MDF panels as a sanding guide.
The odd pieces in the middle will make the ends of the lower angled faces along the sides – where the angled faces meet the flat surface of the side doors. They will add some strength to the sides, stop them bowing in or out I hope.

Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PartsKit.jpg (180.8 KB, 65 views)

Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

A small photo update.

Glued the panels together; fairly happy, the panel gaps are all good and tight, the squareness is good (1 or 2mm out along end faces). should be able to improve squareness when the top middle section is added and when I add the balsa to generate the roof ends I should be able take the curve out of the roof / window panel (see the slight bow in gap between that and the side panel).

Hi Richard
I hadn't considered selling the "kit" of panels but could do. I must be careful I am not AMC (yet - but don't want to break the rules now) I need to be AMC - the only way I could get an affordable price on landing feet was to buy several sets, I hoped to move a few on to recoup some of this "investment".
Not wanting to break the rules - what are you after Richard, a "kit" as it is now or a built model? I am not interested in building a model but if you want a kit you can have one - in return for some feedback, if so you can cover the costs of posting etc. I don't want to sell stuff if it isn't at the right level of expectations.
I will sign up to AMC first though.

Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gluing.jpg (177.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Onthe bench.jpg (123.9 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by moonhugger; 07-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

No problem Richard.
Give me the weekend, I need to machine the side panel to make up the "kit".
As I said, I will finish with balsa - I guess you can get this locally and the same for the Perspex. You will need to source a base / cage.
I have decided to build 3 pods - so I have 3 sets spare.
Patrick and Odahs above can have first dibs on the other two, just let me know- for the same deal. They get built (fairly soon), I get feedback, they are not sold on and my postage cost are covered. And after I have signed up to AMC etc.

If I were to sell kits (not sure about this) - I have already seen a couple of changes to make anyway.

I could use some info - what kit parts do I need? Can I get them without buying full kits? I have reverse engineered and 3d milled the piece between the windows but I am not sure it is "right".
Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Thanks Richard. What about the part between the windows above the doors? See my attempt attached ( difficult to see detail - clear Perspex).

I am AMC now, have a nice new patch! Happy Days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (214.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by moonhugger; 07-05-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Text edit
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Spray those MDF parts with a couple of coats of Halford primer/filer and sand back with a thin grade wet & dry (used dry). It will take away all of the "fuzziness". Even though its designed for other materials I've used it great on MDF as well. I used to use sanding sealer but found the primer/filler was much less effort.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Thanks Slate. I was considering the same issue sealer or filler primer - I hadn't made my mind up but will be swayed with your advice.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Hope I am not boring you!

I have glued some balsa blocks in and partly shaped the one side - I really should wait for the glue the set / dry out (Richard - yes, I am using white glue PVA - I can't stand the hard spots of cyano but it would be quicker, there might be a better option?)

I will final finish the shaping after I have some primer on, just because it is easier to see what is being sanded

A piece of landing foot material makes a good sanding pad!

As for the kit parts - Saturn V is easy to get but the Gemini seems more difficult. Any one off loading kits (or parts)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balsa Blocks.jpg (147.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Balsa Shaped.jpg (60.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Pod Perfection

Julian, I've just checked the dates between your first post and the post in which the pod's assembled and, er, well it's only a couple of days. You've obviously got access to machinery, tools and materials which all lend themselves to swift, accurate and beautiful modelmaking. Cannot help but be impressed / astounded at the end results, even before painting and detailing. This is really nice work.

Couldn't help but notice my name being mentioned earlier, in relation to one of the possibility of trying one of the spare pods. Most kind of you Julian, and much appreciated. I'm currently sitting with a an Eagle whose spine is attached to the forward cage, but the aft cage is still to be attached. So, I don't have the exact dimensions between the two walkways into which my passenger pod is going to have to fit - what I'm really saying is, until I get to that stage, I'd be wary of using anybody else's craftsmanship in case his pod was (for example) 6mm longer than the gap on my Eagle!

I'd love to try out your pod kit but, at the moment Julian, I'll pass - I will let you know how I get on once I've assembled the spine and the cages. In the meantime, even seeing how you've put it all together, the recesses you've cut out, and so on has been tremendously interesting and useful. Truly great work.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 09-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Thanks Patrick. I have been following your build amongst others - inspirational.
Maybe a confession of sorts...
I am a trained toolmaker and for 10 years whilst doing this was a keen model maker.
I moved in to pattern making for a small design consultancy and worked in the model shop; whilst doing this did not feel the need to model make at home.
I ran a product development firm and moved into CADCAM and rapid prototyping (I bought my first SLA (industrial 3d printer) machine in the 90's.
I work as an office based engineer now - shame - and feel the need to make models. Why not get back into it with a 44 Eagle??!

I have a nice big CNC router, 3d CADCAM, an average Myford lathe, and a box of hand tools. I have some kit, and happy to be using it again - smiley face!

Funny thing, spend ages getting back into it and then find it hard not to do a bit each night.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

I am at 396mm assembled and using Prud'homme plans.
I have taken you concerns on board Richard - I have applied some wood hardener to the balsa, will see if it has does anything in the morning.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default The moment of truth....

Nothing like an accurate measurement on the Forum on a Saturday morning to blow away those weekend cobwebs. Cage to cage....

409mm.

Told you she was unique.

Anyway Julian, your confession was most interesting, and if you're going to rekindle your love of modelmaking you're as well turning out high-class Anderson-inspired vehicles as anything else. Please continue to entrall us with your craftsmanship,

Kindest regards,

Patrick
Patrick

Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
Lamboman
Weapons Technician

How big is your router machine ?
Lamboman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

By chance; a mate has sent a photo of the PP Landing Feet - unfinished, the collar needs to be finished, he has stuck some card on to support the link I think. He is doing me a favour, have been waiting for these for a while! I need to sort out M2 screws/nuts.

The pod is primed and the balsa shaped, happy how that went, the central MDF connectors helped, looking down the line it is nice and true.

My router is 1.25m x 0.75m but only 0.2m in Z. Maybe big for a single garage but by industry standards - very average!
When I have got the 6 sets PP panels made I intend to cut a vac form tool to start a command module build - I will post some pics of that in process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Today's little bit.
White primer / yellow filler primer bit of filler, a block rub down (180) and stop rubbing if you see white!

Can't better the smell of polyester filler!

The roof edge in the photo looks curved but looking down it, it is true.

A small tip for the 3d filament printers - before we used SLA in industry we used FDM the industrial version if most hobby printers. If you are using ABS your first coat wants to be a heavy BarCoat; sprit based rather than cellulose - FDM was a nightmare when cellulose got inside,the models would collapse from the inside. The paint will skin over but seal in the paint in the gaps and not allowing it to evaporate - eating away the model. BarCoat is usually yellow and primer often grey, the old boy in the shop would always be shouting at the lads "stop rubbing I can see yellow, get some more paint on"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi guys,
This looks interesting, nice work Julian.

PM me please, we need to talk.

Bernie
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Bit of a set back / opportunity for learning today.
Finished the 6 "kits", at least as far as the 1st one.

Changed to a new sheet of MDF - hardly medium so soft and fluffy, just removing the double sided tape removes the smooth surface (I tape down sheets, I don't have a vacuum bed).

So, all model parts from now in will be HIPS (styrene)

I will PM you Bernie.

Tags
44" passenger pod