Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default The First Eagle...

What with all of the dreadful, even horrific, events swirling around this old globe of ours...if ever there was a time for looking up - literally - today would be it.

Be it July 20 or July 21 - whichever side of the Date Line you're on - do you remember where you were, 45 years ago?

For a precious little while, everybody pretty much stopped fighting, quarrelling, whatever...and simply looked up. Below that waxing, first-quarter Moon in the sky, were cities of well-nigh all sizes, their streets all but empty - everyone indoors, by radios, glued to TV screens, watching, listening, waiting.

Up on that Moon (and circling it) were 3 guys...

Those stark black-and-white images were all as surreal as the moment itself. A brilliant curvature of light, dividing the darkness. Strange, bulky, moving shapes...with human voices. Some two and one-half hours, that even now still stand apart from the rest of time.

And, yes, it still gets me, watching Walter Cronkite (bless him) reacting just as all of us were!

We've forgotten so much, since then. But we still remember too.

So - here's to you, Neil and Buzz and Mike. Here's to everyone who helped get you there, and back. Here's to Columbia, who brought you three safely home.

And, here's to Eagle - the first Eagle - the reason all of Moonbase Alpha's iconic space-explorers carry the name they do...

boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
hwels
Communications Officer

Still have all my scrapbooks with newspaperclippings from those days 45 years ago. Remember those aerie black-and-white pictures from tv-screens in the newspapers the next day?
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

I was at home and only 2 years old. My Dad came and got me out of bed and I watched the strange images on the television. They say we don't remember things from such an early age. But I do remember it very well.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Was recently in Florida and went to Kennedy - such a sight to see the full size Apollo Saturn V on display - and got to touch the piece of the moon they have on display.

Truly a great human achievement, here's hoping we make it back.
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

To me , going to kennedy was like seeing the ruins of a great civilization...and coming to the realization that the technology that we created, that took man centuries to develop, was just thrown away.

We know longer know how to build or even launch a saturn V.

How did we let the sky get away? We had it in our hands.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
To me , going to kennedy was like seeing the ruins of a great civilization...and coming to the realization that the technology that we created, that took man centuries to develop, was just thrown away.

We know longer know how to build or even launch a saturn V.

How did we let the sky get away? We had it in our hands.
That's one hell of a question!

Same time as the 'sixties'. There were an awful lot of the public who had become convinced space travel was preferably done in their heads rather than in rockets... The Apollo missions also coincided with a divisive war. The drive to beat the Russians to the moon was over, so many reasons.

I find it sad that in my lifetime we have been to the moon, had supersonic jet airliners in service, tested the boundaries of manned hypersonic flight, yet now they all seem like dreams again.

We also have people who don't even believe we went

It's time the engineers were given the budget control, not the politicians

Take heart though, it's only been just over 110 years since the start of powered flight - it might not be entirely over yet Thanks to the effort of amazingly dedicated, brave and hard working people, one can always immerse oneself in what 'was' rather than only dreaming of what might have been.

Last edited by Odahs; 25-07-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
apollo 11, eagle, edwin e aldrin jr, michael collins, neil armstrong