SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
age9000
Astrophysics Technician

Default Plans for FAB 1 required

Has any kind soul got any plans to enable me to start on
making a FAB One model ? Beg, Borrow, Buy.

thanks in advance

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 10:54 PM.
age9000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There were the original Space Models drawings printed in one of the old Sci Fi and Fantasy Models magazine but I don't remember which issue.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
age9000
Astrophysics Technician

thanks

ive got most of those, but dont remember seeing the drawing in any ive got, will dig them out and look, hopefully I might be able to pick up the issue from ebay.

thanks again for the info

Old 21-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Definitely in one of them. Possibly inside back cover from memory.
Old 21-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Hello from michael,

I most certainly can help you out , i built one from scratch at 18 - 19 inches long to display next to my orig. parker Christine Glanville helped me aquire . I have a healthy Ref. file that includes many primary views of both the puppet scaled and smaller versions plus blueprints. Including pictures i took of the puppet scaled Fab while it was at Alton plus many unpublished shots my friend Phil Rae gave me. The interesting thing is Mr. Sission and i used the same tires to scale the build up as they were the only type on the market that looked good enough. Most of my info is in hard copy format and not on line thus i would have to make copies of it and send it by mail. I also have a AB models i think that is who made it, it's actually very very goof in form one that is also about 18 - 19 inches i was planning on putting on Ebayus we can (pm) that topic to not plug at the site.
The tires that David and i used are no longer made, i do have a full set left you can aquire from me as well. I have no idea how to place images here thus i can't show you, i would be more than happy to give you insight into building one and how to go about it.
Mike out
Captainplaid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

You're right. I stand corrected. I knew I'd seen them somewhere.
Old 21-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
age9000
Astrophysics Technician

I deff have that issue somewhere, will try and dig it out,
thanks for all the help you guys.

when I get started will post how I get on.

ps Mike , I will send you email soon.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainplaid
Hello from michael,

I most certainly can help you out , i built one from scratch at 18 - 19 inches long to display next to my orig. parker Christine Glanville helped me aquire . I have a healthy Ref. file that includes many primary views of both the puppet scaled and smaller versions plus blueprints. Including pictures i took of the puppet scaled Fab while it was at Alton plus many unpublished shots my friend Phil Rae gave me. The interesting thing is Mr. Sission and i used the same tires to scale the build up as they were the only type on the market that looked good enough. Most of my info is in hard copy format and not on line thus i would have to make copies of it and send it by mail. I also have a AB models i think that is who made it, it's actually very very goof in form one that is also about 18 - 19 inches i was planning on putting on Ebayus we can (pm) that topic to not plug at the site.
The tires that David and i used are no longer made, i do have a full set left you can aquire from me as well. I have no idea how to place images here thus i can't show you, i would be more than happy to give you insight into building one and how to go about it.
Mike out
Hi Captain
i would be interested in some pics/plans ,i have the P.E FAB 1 and i would like to build my own,see my pics of fab here,thx http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ion=firstLogin
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Howdy Areteece and other's,

When I built my Fab 1 in 86-87 I had a poor camera thus the bad shots and I sold this to a collector. I had aquired Parker and wanted a Fab to display with him. Building it is straight forward and at the time I loved sheet plastic and ended up laminating the sides in layers like wood and doing much sanding and bondo you learn as ya go. Today I would approach it differently. Finding proper tires in a large scale was the hardest part, the best type which have a car tire profile were discontinued but I managed to get two sets. Mr. Sission used the same tire and we had never met, I still have a full set left. From there it's ratio scaled from the tire to the plans.
I would make sure the bumpers come off and actually get them crhomed i didn't have that option back then.
AB models came out with a very accurate large kit, same size as to what I built way back then. It even came with turned metal hub caps. I have one and was going to build it - just no time or space thus it's up for grabs.
I would be more than happy to offer my reference and offer any advice if so desired, that is why i love this site we can all learn and help each other.
I uploaded some images of my Fab on my Photobucket here is a link:
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Captainplaid/

Cheers from Mike

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainplaid
Howdy Areteece and other's,

I would be more than happy to offer my reference and offer any advice if so desired, that is why i love this site we can all learn and help each other.
I uploaded some images of my Fab on my Photobucket here is a link:
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Captainplaid/

Cheers from Mike
HEAR HEAR I totally agree,unfortunately there are few that won't fit into that group, because simply they won't and some they can't due to other reasons...But here on our disscusion board we have decent people who are more than happy to share their experiences and info and to that. I'm one who would like to say thanks

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think the problem is that too many people feel a sense of entitlement that's misplaced. I don't personally believe that anyone should be bullied into helping if they have their reasons for not doing so. You see this on the RPF and Starship Modeler all the time but the ironic thing is that those who moan about it the most usually do exactly the same thing when they come into a little bit of info they think that no one else knows about. Generally, I think most people here do offer what they can when they feel comfortable doing so. Having said that, I've never built a FAB 1 and at the moment I'm struggling to find my Century 21 magazines amongst all the boxes. If I do, I'll post the original drawings that are featured in them. BTW one of the 33 RPM EP's has a very nice side profile shot of FAB 1. Also a couple of the Japanese photo books have profile photos of the studio model that were sent to the toy manufacturers as reference for the toys.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Why it is truly my pleasure Gentlemen and I mean it. Mr. Trice is so correct this has been the sad fact for tooooo many years. I'm now in my 40's and bear the scars of years of scratch building and having to deal with these so called charming folks. My answer to them is, "grow up" and frankly, "it's just stuff I'll live with it or with out it.
So back to that Pink wonder Fab One, I actually made leather seats and had Parker's targeting panel and Lady P's light up as well the head lights.
I used the boot as the battery compartment. Mr. Trice is also correct - the japanese books have a load of info. I loved the look of the puppet scaled version and thus built mine to that form. I have a load of pics I took and from my friend Phil which have not been published, plus the article with the plans Mr. Trice talks of by W. Evans. I have to go for B777-300 aircraft training tomorow thus I won't be able to upload them to my photobucket but I am off after that so I shall scan what I can and see how much Ii can get into my bucket before it has a Moonbase Alpha melt down. Mr. Sission did a superb article on his build as well which is very much how I approached it.
I am at your service Gentlemen I spent a great deal of time going over every detail on this car and have photo info on every part except it's underside.
Wish me luck with my sim tests

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

Good luck...I really envy you flying on such a beast.

It was always my ambition to be a pilot, but my eyesight let me down and I was turned down by the RAF (just for eyesight) after a week of selection training at Biggin Hill.

Sadly at nearly 42, I'm now over the hill and stuck in to a desk job...so the closest I get is flying MS flight sim on the computer (did have a PPL though for a time !).

Good luck again !

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, good luck Mike.

There is the usual problem of course that all the studio models of FAB 1 varied. You probably need to choose which one you want to model or go for a generic version. In the latter case, it does at least mean that you don't need to get completely tangled up with "accurate" contours or measurements as long as it looks right.

BTW, I assume that you've visited here?:

http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/fab1.htm
Old 09-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Well, I found the EP.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #16
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Why thank you Chris I need it. I have vacuum tubes up there and man there is plenty arking We are the same age bud, cool to hear about yourself and your dreams, I wish I was the guy at the controls i'd love just once to say over the airway's,"Eagle one to Alpha" imagine the response . I'm a cookie pusher travel the world with a day off in every part of the world kinda guy, Londons Soho is my fav. Anyway's nice to met ya, and Mr. Trice your right as builders you can get a little over the exact lines and measurements. In the end it's all about the journey and having something from your childhood come to life. The internet has been a way to finally talk with other's all over the Big Blue like this site we loveeeeeeeee eagles and other Anderson show designs. To be able to talk folks like Mr. Trice and David S. and other's who can help you build a dream just rocks. I belong to a Forum of builders and lovers of the Nautilus from 20,000 leagues under the sea, some of these gents worked at Disney it's an older crowd and amazing were building 66 inch versions with no childish antics. Sadly I am finding less time to build from plans up anymore, well I should get back to the books. Have a grand day to both the Chris's think you guy's rock. After tomorow I will gets some data uploaded.
cheers Mike p.s. love your

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #17
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

[img]
Hope this works[/img]
Old 26-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Not having great scratch building skills and being a 1/24th car-kit fan wish someone would come up with a decent Fab 1 in this scale, garage kit or otherwise. Surprised that no-one has tried this using plans from C21 magazine before. They look like plans used for 1/24th version parked up outside Swinging Star at end of TAG, but not sure if this same one used in TV series.

Has anyone tried to work out how many versions were used in the studios ? Keep meaning to myself, but haven't got round to it yet.

Was hoping rumoured Aoshima Fab 1 might be 1/24th scale, but looks like it'll be another 1/16th, probably from PE tooling.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
parkerparker
Chef

Default FAB1

Hallo,
This topic is a few years back, but has anyone started here to build a FAB1?
I would very much like to see some photos!

Jan.

Last edited by w8cmp; 27-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.
parkerparker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Eagle
Commander Ret.

There's an incredible build of one in 'Courier's Lounge': the AMC Member's private forum.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote