Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

Default Liberator bracelet detail questions

Anyone have a complete list of the symbols or the source of symbols for the teleport bracelets ..and how were they applied on the original props?
Also...the depths of the inner and outer rings ..how do they compare to the technical manual ..the screen caps and surviving props seem to have flat or pipe-cut edges, and depths of 2.5cm and 3.5 cm, as apposed to the 3cm and 4 cm rings shown in the technical manual and the inner ring in that work is shown rounded?!
Also the Perspex button? what were the original measurements? did they change over the life of the props? And for that matter the dome button..I have seen two ema parts suggested? and the size looks different from season one to two? Did that part change over time (and I'm not talking the dummy season three card board fillers with the faux pearl domes by the way).

Last edited by pentel; 13-11-2014 at 09:10 AM.
pentel is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Mate,
i believe the alien letter were simply cut out of adhesive shiny paper and the silver band is the silver car foil you can buy in halfords. Hope this helps.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Joe Dredd
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
Anyone have a complete list of the symbols or the source of symbols for the teleport bracelets
There's a humorous book published by Miwk called "Maximum Power" that uses the teleport bracelet patterns as internal art/divisions. The book is deliberately silly, but the fellow who did the teleport designs told me he'd copied them all down from actual designs on the show. Therefore, that would seem the easiest way to see a whole raft of the designs without having to study the DVDs and draw them all out yourself.
Joe Dredd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
the creator
Chef

I've found that brown parcel tape stuck to silver sticky back plastic is a good colour match. The paper backing to the sticky back plastic allows you to draw out the design (as a mirror image) Sad as it is I have it in mind as a rainy day project to sit down and photograph them all (or as many as can be made out) but within reason I think anything you care to dream up works as they were all different -here's Cally's from Seek Locate Destroy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom 1 063.jpg (184.1 KB, 77 views)
the creator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Did the Horizon guys get this wrong as well ? I actually trusted their blueprints. Thought we had long deciphered the Liberator glyphs ?
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

Yeah, I remember a while back someone on the web had figured out that some sort of ancient script or farsi printed work resembled a few of the scripts on the bracelets. I always felt it was silly having a different alien word on each bracelet as the characters went through and swapped bracelets regularly. But if I was to go with one, which to choose se script on the clearest to read bracelets in season 3 when the working props went to two (these are the two surviving props we have seen on this site)? Do I go with cygnus alpha, the one from seek, locate, destroy, or the Judd/Maloney one from blue peter? The purest in me wants to build as close as possible.. even going to order samples of mars red and flouro-pink to match, and would like to get the lettering on as close as original. I have noticed that the early season one bracelets were ford roman bronze but become hazel brown...is this just lighting.. the fit and finish the inner and outer band thicknesses, the microphone colour and diameter change as well(?)..or am I just imagining this?

As for Maximum Power, is this the one with the Bad Babysitter pin and the pursuit ship game! If so I'd have to get that. Also, there are various books on BBC FX, Doctor Who FX and 2 two books on the making of Blake's 7...are any of these worthwhile to the prop builder? How about that bowerhouse with liberator.. how does it compare to the sci-fi and fantasy modeller 2/3rds build? has anyone built a 2/3rds federation pursuit ship or system chase craft to match?

Last edited by pentel; 19-12-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 20-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

On the original bracelets the lettering was hand painted in Flesh coloured Humbrol matt enamel.

Andy H
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
On the original bracelets the lettering was hand painted in Flesh coloured Humbrol matt enamel.

Andy H
...Andy would know. But for years I thought it was chrome tape as well. Looked that way on the screen.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Off course there was chrome tape for the bands and behind the pink button (actually Xmas parcel tape)
They did change a bit between season I and 2.
Colour was slightly different, microphone went from silver to it's EMA grey.
The pink button is 6 to 5mm thick, 9mm wide, 23mm length and should be slightly bevelled on the top corners. They even used 3mm Perspex on some, as these kept falling off...
I remember Jan Chapell saying that to me when she was trying on again an original.
I've still got a 4 foot square sheet of an original sheet/thickness/colour Perspex.
Always kept it, could probably make thousands of buttons from that, if anyone is interested...

I think really, it's all down to personal preference, choose your episode and go for it.

Andy H

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 20-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

how much would you charge per button? or per group for that matter?

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Do you want them cut and shaped, or just a bit you can cut up ?

Andy H
Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

Probably shaped...never worked with Perspex/acrylic sheet before... just casting resin type acrylic. I'm afraid I'd bungle it some how.. I wouldn't want to waste the stuff given the rarity in 6mm nowadays!

How did you manage to get a hold of the original stuff? I was thinking of using some mars red square rod from EMA... but the photos and the real appearance of the stuff might differ. You wouldn't happen to know how drastically different the colours are? I was debating about making some true to life props and some as "appeared on screen"..as the studio lights changed the appearance.

As for the foil... I have silver mylar, silver wrapping paper, silver wrapping paper based x-mas bows, silver hvac tape, and I have seen the stuff marketed by flints in the UK...which would you suggest would give the best match...or conversely which would be more durable?

I'm thinking of doing a racks worth atleast, so 48ish I guess?
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Well to honest, the original rack had 32 bracelets, 4x8, just look at wide shots and its clearly 4x8 bracelets.
I got the Perspex in the early 80's, I think it had been discontinued then, so I bought it, I used to buy up all kinds of discontinued stock in those days...
I'm 48, I think if I started now I think Id be dead before I would have used it all on bracelets !
Hence other people have a bit, not given it away for nothing though.

Andy H.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 08-02-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #14
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

I meant 32(sorry!), but for some reason I started thinking more. How much would it cost per florescent button.. or a minimum order.. also what would your price difference be for just cut (my main fear .. never worked with Perspex before) or shaped (I'm guessing that is just sanding and buffing.. little less afraid of that)?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #15
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Just quick question, why do you want 32 ?
and what are you make the bracelets from, and where are you?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I made some bracelets as a fun Christmas present some years ago. Like all my stuff they were made from stuff lying around.
However for the chrome bands and 'alien' patterns I got my local graphics company to make them for me with some measurements to suit my bracelets.
Unfortunately mine don't hinge (laziness) but I believe the replacements later on in the series didn't hinge either.
They look darker in the photos than they are in real life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2548.JPG (83.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2549.JPG (77.7 KB, 34 views)
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

I'm in Canada and I've always wanted to replicate the bracelet rack, probably in MDF.. using EMA or Plastruct for the bracelets themselves... trying to avoid excessive shipping and handling.. the postal service here really sucks.. and the couriers are little better. Custom charges are also a pain.. and add to this the difficulty in ordering aerosol paints and paints/liquids since 911.

That said, I'm also going to have to find Canadian equivalents to Halfords Ford Roman Bronze, Vauxhall Hazel Brown, Ford Tibetan Gold, Vauxhall Steel Grey Metallic, Ford Hurricane and Rover Tempest Greys, Ford Olympic Blue, Jaguar Rhodium Silver and Splatters 241 antique gold (I'm building some classic dalek stuff also). I hope I still have some humbrol paints.. I haven't seen them here for about 10years..I had 'flesh' unopened.

Finding paint chips for these metallics on line has been meh to say the least.

Anyway.. getting back to the Perspex.. can it be cut by hand?.. what kind of saw do I need? How many have you built.. I take it me planning to build 32 bracelets is more daunting than I'd realize? how many bracelets can be got from an EMA Tube?
Also, only 4 or so would be able open, the rest might just be static.
Atleast, that is the plan.

Last edited by pentel; 27-03-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 28-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:

Finding paint chips for these metallics on line has been meh to say the least.

Anyway.. getting back to the Perspex.. can it be cut by hand?<
yes, but as I remember there's no perspex/acrylic in it except the button.... Are you just talking in general?

>.. what kind of saw do I need?<

One with fine teeth...say, 20tpi. I use a bandsaw and a table say for big pieces. The faster the blade, the less you have to worry about it cracking, which is the problem with hand sawing. It's rather brittle, like glass.
If you have a dremel tool, a cutting wheel will cut it gently.

> how many bracelets can be got from an EMA Tube?<

Plastruct comes in lengths, it depends on how long a length you buy. I bought about 4'
it cost about $30 US.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 28-03-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
I

That said, I'm also going to have to find Canadian equivalents to Halfords Ford Roman Bronze, Vauxhall Hazel Brown, Ford Tibetan Gold, Vauxhall Steel Grey Metallic, Ford Hurricane and Rover Tempest Greys, Ford Olympic Blue, Jaguar Rhodium Silver and Splatters 241 antique gold (I'm building some classic dalek stuff also). .
That's why I swapped for an example that was painted with the right colors, that way I could just take it to the auto parts store and look at the ford colors.

Vauxhall is actually chevrolet, by the way.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 28-03-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #20
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

And Horizon (The B7 fan club) are currently looking at another run of replicas commissioned from Martin Bower himself. Price is looking to be around the 150 mark, which is certainly expensive, but seems to me to also be pretty good value for money for a MB original.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote