Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #1
John Koenig
Chef

Default Space:1999 season two and the start of something good

So I've been revisiting Space:1999 thanks to my local library; and I must say, season one became a doldrum. The minute I got to season two and the new theme started driving away I was instantly hooked. I loved it, the "pulling away" sequence with the 'jet pod' equipped Eagle was perfect(Albeit with the goofiness of 'wind' flapping the crews' skin.), with the new jet exauhst effects I could really feel the tension of the moment, much more so than anything in season one. Don't get me wrong, I love and missed Bergman. But season two has something that excites me more than season one (With exception of the premise). That said, season two Koenig is what inspired my 'character' here and my long-forgotten blog. He just stands in such stark contrast to what he was in season one; he shoots people just to see if they'll die! Or rather, 'be affected' by thier weapons! Uh huh, sure Koenig, everyone knows you've been waiting a couple of years to show your true colors and the minute your Dad (Victor Bergman) is out of the base, you start running amuk.

What'd you all think of season two?
John Koenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

So how close did it come to not happening and why?

I prefer S1 myself but there was a case for a bit more levity and less sterility but it swung a bit too far the other way and a lot of it came off as banal or silly.

I'll probably still pickup the Series 2 bluray when it appears, as the Bringers of Wonder bluray looked very nice.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I prefer the brilliance of Season 1 and have already purchased the blu-ray. I still am grateful for and will purchase the blu-ray of Serason 2.

The production design of Season 1 sets was awesome.
The Season 2 changes of the new uniform designs were great.

If only the cast and storytelling of Season 1 had continued into Season 2 with just the new uniforms added.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Seasons' Greetings......

Richard is absolutely right - this debate's raged on and on, seemingly never to fade.

A few observations, however -

1999 was the only Gerry Anderson programme to win a full blown second season (I know Thunderbirds and UFO both had "split" seasons - if memory serves, Thunderbirds was 26 and 6, and UFO's run was broken by the move to different studios), so it can be argued it was his most successful in terms of longevity. Whatever we all may individually feel about the season we like less, we should still applaud its 48 episode life.

Season 1? Nobody had ever seen anything like it on British television and, I suspect, we'll never see anything like it again. It's unique, spectacular, flawed, brilliant and, for members like Richard, myself and others, has burned itself into our hearts and memories for the whole of our lives. Nothing will ever come close to our beloved Eagle - for a wee while back in the mid-seventies we could almost believe it was the logical development of the real spacecraft we saw on television. The orchestral music, Koenig's meeting with Arra ("I believed her, Victor, I believed her!!"), the encounter with The Dragon and the outstanding "Breakaway" are all examples of why I still extol Space 1999's virtues four decades later.

Season 2? I understand fully that people enjoy the enhanced humanity, emotion and warmth which the script-writers engendered, but the aliens seemed less alien, and the sense of wonder had dissipated, and the magic had somehow diminished. But there were still Eagles, lab pods, spine boosters and Swifts and, in amongst the terrible episodes, there were some good stories. It was all just too much of a wrench - if we had to lose Victor, Paul and Kano, then stories could have been wrapped around the tragic (or other) circumstances surrounding their demise or disappearance.

That's me showing my true colours, defending one against the other, contradicting what I said at the start. Ultimately, those who love the show can hopefully all unite in debating and discussing their favourite elements, sharing a love of the models and props and, in some cases, continuing to write new stories about Alpha's brave travellers (and there are some gifted and talented people out there, doing just that.....)

Thanks as always to the wonderful ETF for affording us a platform from which we can speak, and to all the talented people who gave us "Space: 1999" all those years ago.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Well said Patrick.

Old 13-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
John Koenig
Chef

Huh, I wasn't aware of any debate; naturally, my intention was not to incite but rather to excite. I guess I see the show from a distance, more a casual viewer than a devoted one. I do understand the devotion; I'm really a fan of Star Trek at my core so I know what it truly means to be a fan of something.

I was interested in what others thought of season two and the differences especially those of characterization. As a casual viewer season one felt dreary. Perhaps it was/is my current state of mind that led me to that conclusion, but that is what I felt while watching it and more so upon reflection. Season two feels exciting next to S1 and it somehow feels less depressive or perhaps opressive.

I don't really enjoy watching people suffer and Space:1999 has a metric ton of suffering. It (Season one) lacks humor. I think that is the primary reason I feel as I do, i.e. depressed. I did, upon my original viewing of the series, feel that S1 had more insight into the Science and 'what if' of what the Alphans were experiencing and the characters seemed a bit more defined. But S2 has, for me, more humor in how the characters act. One might ask why I even watch the show at all if I'm so depressed by it. Well, I was turned back on to it by the sight of an Eagle. That's all it took to get me back in the Space:1999 door. I think that says something. But I had to perservere to get to the end. Does that say more about me or the show?

I don't know. I think it says more about the show. I do want an Eagle after having watched it. I also find the technical aspects of it to be quite well done, the effects are as they should be - effective. Season two I could see the strings. They either quit caring or they were under a time crunch.

I am quite a fan of Alan Carter and Nick Tates portrayal of him. Were you all aware that Nick Tate played the Captain of a "Mining shuttle" in the Star Trek TNG episode "Final Mission"? I wasn't. I was shocked and bemused when I noticed. Captain of a Mining shuttle of all things, they should've given the shuttle prop a nod to the Eagle. I think that would've put more of a point on it.

Last edited by John Koenig; 13-02-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 13-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koenig View Post
Huh, I wasn't aware of any debate; naturally, my intention was not to incite but rather to excite. I guess I see the show from a distance, more a casual viewer than a devoted one. I do understand the devotion; I'm really a fan of Star Trek at my core so I know what it truly means to be a fan of something.

I was interested in what others thought of season two and the differences especially those of characterization. As a casual viewer season one felt dreary. Perhaps it was/is my current state of mind that led me to that conclusion, but that is what I felt while watching it and more so upon reflection. Season two feels exciting next to S1 and it somehow feels less depressive or perhaps opressive.

I don't really enjoy watching people suffer and Space:1999 has a metric ton of suffering. It (Season one) lacks humor. I think that is the primary reason I feel as I do, i.e. depressed. I did, upon my original viewing of the series, feel that S1 had more insight into the Science and 'what if' of what the Alphans were experiencing and the characters seemed a bit more defined. But S2 has, for me, more humor in how the characters act. One might ask why I even watch the show at all if I'm so depressed by it. Well, I was turned back on to it by the sight of an Eagle. That's all it took to get me back in the Space:1999 door. I think that says something. But I had to perservere to get to the end. Does that say more about me or the show?

I don't know. I think it says more about the show. I do want an Eagle after having watched it. I also find the technical aspects of it to be quite well done, the effects are as they should be - effective. Season two I could see the strings. They either quit caring or they were under a time crunch.

I am quite a fan of Alan Carter and Nick Tates portrayal of him. Were you all aware that Nick Tate played the Captain of a "Mining shuttle" in the Star Trek TNG episode "Final Mission"? I wasn't. I was shocked and bemused when I noticed. Captain of a Mining shuttle of all things, they should've given the shuttle prop a nod to the Eagle. I think that would've put more of a point on it.
I agree with all your thoughts here and in your first post. As a young boy in '75, Season 1 captured my imagination and made me a lifetime fan. The production design of Eagles and Alpha were simply impressive. I will admit that in '76, as that boy, I loved season 2 for the excitement and humor. It would have been awesome had the season 3 happened. I would have hoped that it would have been the best of both prior seasons. As an adult, I love the entire Space:1999 series and appreciate both seasons. Season 2 gave a glimpse at sets representing parts of Alpha Moonbase that we had not seen in the first season. I wish that we had the fate of Kano, Morrow and Bergman explained on screen in season 2.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
John Koenig
Chef

Thanks so much for the reply, Steve. You know... I'm glad we didn't get an explanation to the dissapearance of Kano, Paul and especially Bergman. That way we can come up with our own. I'd hate to have found out that Bergman died, he was too cool a character to have met with that fate.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply, Steve. You know... I'm glad we didn't get an explanation to the dissapearance of Kano, Paul and especially Bergman. That way we can come up with our own. I'd hate to have found out that Bergman died, he was too cool a character to have met with that fate.
As a boy in '76, I just thought that in season 2 Bergman, Morrow and Kano were still alive on Alpha Moonbase just working still in Main Mission. Albeit, Main Mission was never shown in Season 2.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
John Koenig
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
As a boy in '76, I just thought that in season 2 Bergman, Morrow and Kano were still alive on Alpha Moonbase just working still in Main Mission. Albeit, Main Mission was never shown in Season 2.

I think it's telling that they eliminated the character of Bergman. He seemed to ground John and the others. Made them look at situations as scientists (Despite the silly-science pervading the show.) His loss was almost like the showrunners saying "Who cares!" "Science-schmience" we're FUN now!.

Old 13-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:

I think it's telling that they eliminated the character of Bergman. He seemed to ground John and the others. Made them look at situations as scientists (Despite the silly-science pervading the show.) His loss was almost like the showrunners saying "Who cares!" "Science-schmience" we're FUN now!.
Agree.
Old 13-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Writing Wrongs (Sort Of)...

I first got into writing 1999 fan-fic years ago wanting to try, at the very least, to (somehow) reconcile the two versions of the series. It made me stretch creatively (still does!), and yielded up a more comprehensive perspective of our favorite wayward natural satellite...

Moonbase Alpha was (is?) a 24/7 sort of place; be it Main Mission Control or the Command Center, someone's always there, busily minding the shop. During Y1, it so happened we were looking in when one particular operations team was carrying the duty. There are others, and during Y2 we got to meet some of them.

Until such time as we might see something coming down the pike that can truly be called canon (eg, beyond Message from Moonbase Alpha), the way forward remains wide open, in all directions!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
klee
Medical Technician

For 10 years between 1976 and 1986, all I had of Season Two were the six novels made from the episodes, stills in magazines and my imgination. In my mind, I had placed the Season 2 episodes in the context of what I had already seen in season 1. I was really disappointed when I finally saw some of the episodes. To me, they played like they had been produced for American Saturday morning TV, just not as good, even the music would have fit right in on Ark II or Space Academy. I still like the Season 2 episodes, but the production values, style and music established in Season 1 is missing.
klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Bionicman
Hydroponics Technician

As child watching the show when it was first aired, I far preferred Season 2, more colour, more actions, more girls, more aliens and Tony, Mr Action man! I continued to think of S1 as being dull and boring until 6 months ago when I purchased the Blu-Ray set.
Wow, how could I have be so wrong? Now I look on the seasons from a ore mature perspective and really appreciate the pacing and stories of S1, and actually find S2 somewhat trivial in comparison.
Both season hold a special place in my memories, but it's amazing how my erspective n the season has changed. I still like the show as a whole, adore the Eagles, adore Alan, John and Helena, but just wish we hadn't had such an abrupt change between years 1 and 2.
But, hell, you can bet I will still be buying S2 on Blu-Ray later this year
Bionicman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicman View Post
As child watching the show when it was first aired, I far preferred Season 2, more colour, more actions, more girls, more aliens and Tony, Mr Action man! I continued to think of S1 as being dull and boring until 6 months ago when I purchased the Blu-Ray set.
Wow, how could I have be so wrong? Now I look on the seasons from a ore mature perspective and really appreciate the pacing and stories of S1, and actually find S2 somewhat trivial in comparison.
Both season hold a special place in my memories, but it's amazing how my erspective n the season has changed. I still like the show as a whole, adore the Eagles, adore Alan, John and Helena, but just wish we hadn't had such an abrupt change between years 1 and 2.
But, hell, you can bet I will still be buying S2 on Blu-Ray later this year
Agree, good thoughts. As a young boy watching Season 1 in '75-'76 and then Season 2 in '76-'77 I had felt that too.

Old 16-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #16
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Lost in space.....

.....I remember thinking back in '75 that they really were on their own out there - even if they ever got back to Earth, what state would it be in after the Moon's abrupt departure? The mood was solemn, and there was little humour or light relief but then, how would any of us feel? The Alphans had enormous hurdles to overcome, just to stay alive, and there was a definite feeling that their journey was an odyssey, that there was some greater purpose.....

This wasn't as apparent in Season 2 - perhaps they'd grown into their circumstances and way of life more, become more accepting, and realised that life wasn't all doom and gloom. Helena in particular loosened up, losing some of that medical "coolness" and becoming more of a foil to Koenig's blustering.

Either way, here we are, devotees all and still wrapped up in the Alphan adventure. I have read other people's feelings about the original Galactica, that, for them, there has never been another show which captured their young imaginations, and that's again understandable. As a small boy, the first time I saw Thunderbird 2 coming in to land, in black and white on a screen not much bigger than a PC's, my life changed. Whichever show you loved, whichever Season means more to you than the other, it's because these shows reached out to young, enquiring and excitable minds, hungry for adventure and excitement.

Tune in again next time for more thrilling adventures!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Little Girls, Too...

Roger that. And here we all are, forever tuning in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
.....I remember thinking back in '75 that they really were on their own out there - even if they ever got back to Earth, what state would it be in after the Moon's abrupt departure? The mood was solemn, and there was little humour or light relief but then, how would any of us feel? The Alphans had enormous hurdles to overcome, just to stay alive, and there was a definite feeling that their journey was an odyssey, that there was some greater purpose.....

This wasn't as apparent in Season 2 - perhaps they'd grown into their circumstances and way of life more, become more accepting, and realised that life wasn't all doom and gloom. Helena in particular loosened up, losing some of that medical "coolness" and becoming more of a foil to Koenig's blustering.

Either way, here we are, devotees all and still wrapped up in the Alphan adventure. I have read other people's feelings about the original Galactica, that, for them, there has never been another show which captured their young imaginations, and that's again understandable. As a small boy, the first time I saw Thunderbird 2 coming in to land, in black and white on a screen not much bigger than a PC's, my life changed. Whichever show you loved, whichever Season means more to you than the other, it's because these shows reached out to young, enquiring and excitable minds, hungry for adventure and excitement.

Tune in again next time for more thrilling adventures!

Kindest regards

Patrick
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:04 AM   #18
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Anything with an Eagle has to be good. I kinda wish Tony was in series one but ofcourse miss Paul and Bergman in S2. It's all a matter of opinion. No right or wrong.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Anything with an Eagle has to be good. I kinda wish Tony was in series one but ofcourse miss Paul and Bergman in S2. It's all a matter of opinion. No right or wrong.
Tony would have been an interesting addition to season 1. I just would have liked the season 1 cast including Bergman, Morrow and Kano to have all been in season 2. Maya and Victor Bergman could have had some fascinating scientific investigations.
Old 17-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
John Koenig
Chef

I picked up the rest of S2 from the Library the other day, looking forward to digging in!