Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

I think Patrick has got it spot I too was VERY young when season 1 aired and although I loved the setting and Eagle's etc. I found it a bit boring (but scary-never forget Force of Life or Dragon's domain) I think I was too young to appreciate the stories and acting. So when Season 2 came along-I loved it, Action, Action, Action, Colour, Monsters, humour and more Eagle model shots (oh and Maya! I was only 7 ) Much later, as an adult, I watched the series again and could suddenly appreciate season 1 for the amazing cinematic feel it gave, huge production values, huge stars and very good scrips. However, still have a huge soft spot for S2, for the reasons Patrick said. It was the right place, right time I kind of treat the two series as almost different entities. Still enjoy them both hugely and that's what counts isn't it

Wayne
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #22
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
I think Patrick has got it spot I too was VERY young when season 1 aired and although I loved the setting and Eagle's etc. I found it a bit boring (but scary-never forget Force of Life or Dragon's domain) I think I was too young to appreciate the stories and acting. So when Season 2 came along-I loved it, Action, Action, Action, Colour, Monsters, humour and more Eagle model shots (oh and Maya! I was only 7 ) Much later, as an adult, I watched the series again and could suddenly appreciate season 1 for the amazing cinematic feel it gave, huge production values, huge stars and very good scrips. However, still have a huge soft spot for S2, for the reasons Patrick said. It was the right place, right time I kind of treat the two series as almost different entities. Still enjoy them both hugely and that's what counts isn't it

Wayne
Well said.

Also, you are so right, "Dragon's Domain" was truly scary to me as a boy in '75-'76 season 1.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Still is.....

.....and always will be, I think. It's just so utterly alien, and it is never resolved - no explanation of motive, how it got there, if there are any more of its kind,
nothing.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #24
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

It's one of my favourite episodes. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Watching the episodes again in the nineties, up to that point, I was always wondering why they left the ultra probe and didn't investigate the other aliens ships. When I re-watched the episode, they mentioned the alien never registered on their instruments so they couldn't be sure it was dead. The Alphans couldn't take the risk that the other aliens ships were infected with the more of those creatures.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:56 AM   #25
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
.....and always will be, I think. It's just so utterly alien, and it is never resolved - no explanation of motive, how it got there, if there are any more of its kind,
nothing.

Kindest regards

Patrick
As a boy in the '70s I really thought that the series would encounter the "Dragon's Domain" alien home planet.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-02-2015, 03:43 AM   #26
John Koenig
Chef

Yeah, I recall "Dragon's Domain" being quite haunting and memorable upon my first viewing in '08. Funny thing, before my most recent re-watch I thought the monster killed far more people; like it was eating tons of people on Alpha.

That's another thing, how many dozens of people have died since the initial explosion? They keep stating there's still three hundred or so people on Alpha!
John Koenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #27
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koenig View Post
Yeah, I recall "Dragon's Domain" being quite haunting and memorable upon my first viewing in '08. Funny thing, before my most recent re-watch I thought the monster killed far more people; like it was eating tons of people on Alpha.

That's another thing, how many dozens of people have died since the initial explosion? They keep stating there's still three hundred or so people on Alpha!
Try this post : http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=133781
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #28
John Koenig
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Very insightful, thank you! So 47 (or about 50 as suggested). That sucks, not to mention the amount of damage the base sustained. From that we might infer that the base compliment was about 350+? It makes one wonder if they've repaired those parts of Alpha damaged in the explosion. If so, from where did they get the materials?
Old 20-02-2015, 03:32 AM   #29
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

They do mining on the moon, so they must have some sort of refinery and manufacturing facilities. It makes sense, since they need to be as self-sufficient as possible.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #30
John Koenig
Chef

^ I thought as much too.

So I'm half-way into S2 and I have to say it's got all the boring and dull-ish parts from S1 coupled with a distinct lack of action. There's been maybe one Eagle crash? S1 had nearly one in every episode! I'm not too enthralled.

Old 22-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #31
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Eye of the Beholder...

Hmm. He said he's only about halfway through his viewing of Y2; and I'm not sure we've any idea as to what order he's seeing those episodes in. Once he's seen them all, perhaps then he'll be better able to set out what his particular issues are.

What do you say, JK - fair enough?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #32
John Koenig
Chef

^^LOL Moving on...

Watched "Bringers of Wonder" today and all I can say is - I heart Martin Landau. He was mesmerizing!
Old 22-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #33
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I love models and visual effects.

Y2 has them, strong, original designs, beautifully imaged (however briefly sometimes). All good so far, cast are excellent as expected from the calibre of the regulars and guests.

I was rather disappointed with everything else is the most polite way I can put my view. I won't elaborate more than that as I know there are others whose views are different than mine and for sake of harmony under the one ~SPACE:1999 banner I would not want to upset my fellow fans.

Only a real fan will understand this because they have had their passion stirred by something they love, it becomes part of your family like a brother or sister, just like any family we sometimes argue. Just don't lose sight of the fact that here, we are all in the same family.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #34
John Koenig
Chef

"The lambda factor", "The seance spectre" and "Dorzak" were interesting. They were all character pieces. Independent from the rest of the season in that sense. I loved that they touched on the psychology of people living in space and what affect it might have on them.

"Too much staring at wall make so-and-so go cray, cray". I would too although I don't think I'd be driven toward mutiny.
Old 13-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
Ron
Travel Tube Technician

I'm really no fan of season 2: The storys were goofy rather than inspiring (as they used to be in season one). The sets were underwhelming, the effects worse than in season 1, the uniform changes made no sense, there were too many rubber-suit monsters, Bergman was missing as were other loved crew members. Thank god they didn't change the eagles as well! They turned a show who had appeal to children as well as grown-ups into a kid's program. I also still hate how Freiberger changed Koenig from a thoughtful leader into a space cowboy.
When I watched the show originally, I didn't notice much of the above, as they broadcasted the episodes out of sequence and mixed seasons 1 and 2. They didn't show the very best episodes of season 1, e.g. Dragonís Domain, Mission of the Darians, Testament of Arcadia, (German cencors!) and all I noticed as kid was, that Bergman seemed to vanish for some episodes, as did Maya and Verdeshci for others. I also noticed that they had colourful jackets in some episodes and didn't in others.
Now that I've seen all the episodes in sequence, my verdict is very clear: I loved about 18 season 1 episodes and around 4 in season 2 (with one eye closed). I hated 1 episode in season 1 and around 16 in season 2. All the changes between seasons were crappy and unnecessary, except that they should have increased character drama and improved continuity in season 2.
Ron is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #36
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I agree with Captain Sci Fi on this. I loved the first series as it embodied a lot that interested me in SF films and some books. The first episode blew my mind that night I first saw it and there are other great episodes in series 1.
I lived in Scotland at this time and they did not show series 2, in fact the first series 2 episode I saw was 'Journey to Where' which was shown at the Star Trek convention at the famous Leeds Dragornara hotel in 1976.
However when I saw more episodes years later I though oh dear what have they done to my favourite prog. I know the second series has its many fans but it had been turned into an American version of the original which is not always good.
I haven't seen an episode for thirty years and would love to see it again if only for the models and fx.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #37
starshine
Life Support Technician

Liked both seasons of Space1999.
But, when I saw the introduction of Maya in the second season I too was hooked.
Also, I think everyone has their favourite season from Space1999.
starshine is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Tony turns up in Aftershock as a security guard while Tony Cellini is the pilot who brings Simmonds to Alpha in it's moment of crisis!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #39
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

We've had some lively discussions

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=134369
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #40
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

To be fair I find either series very patchy in terms of drama. The visuals are awesome but the acting in season 2 is SHOCKING!

Season 1 is definately the best, my personal favs (i.e the ones I don't just fast forward to the VFX parts) are all from season 1.
Breakaway, Another time another place, Guardian of Piri, the Last Sunset, the Last enemy, Dragons Domain, Voyagers return, then I'm struggling.

On a visual level most work episodes work well, but the level of writing doesn't come close to matching these.
By a few episodes into season 2. It's clear that even the actors are just going through the motions and taking the money.

Season 2 just looks so cheap in comparison to season 1.

Sorry guys, Brian Johnson and his team produced a gem of visual excellence.
But it terms of drama a real entertainment it's clear to me that this series is mostly viewed through then 10 & 11 yr olds Rose coloured specs.

But then again I liked terminator Genysis; so what do I know?
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote