Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
barrie
Weapons Technician

Default 2015 falcon

Hi everyone,
question what do you get by mixing one old model maker loads of plastic and long winter days and nights..... answer a new large scale millenium falcon model, she was scratchbuilt over the last six weeks and is now on display at TRANSPORT MODELS OF PRESTON LANCASHIRE to whom I must give a very BIG thank you for helping provide materials support friendship and inspiration in helping me dod what I do make models.

the falcon is approx 45 long 30 inches wide and as you can see from the photos has its old builder guy giving it support ready to fly in the ceiling of the model shop. please let me know what you think guys then I can put the feedback into my next model.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0515.jpg (50.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0522.jpg (49.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0544.jpg (90.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0552.jpg (53.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0570.jpg (49.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0578.jpg (90.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0556.jpg (82.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0555.jpg (83.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0566.jpg (50.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0574.jpg (61.5 KB, 26 views)
barrie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

Lovely.
Face Ache is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Wow Fantastic!
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Nice to the untrained eye Barrie, but to a kit part spotter you would now be inside a Wicker Man ! Just kidding - very well done. But I mean what I say - people have identified almost every Falcon kit part - don't put it on the RPF. It's a real nice effort though and to most people they would love it. I don't mean that to sound at all condescending - you have produced a Falcon that would fool most men in the street - but online you will face the usual "that kit part is wrong" etc. As long as you are happy with it that's all that counts I guess. Well done mate.

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 09-03-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Jump (to lightspeed) for joy.....

......I really do wonder how on earth you do it Barrie - six weeks' work and you end up with a Falcon of this quality. I'm assuming that, once you get going, you must be a bit of a blur in your workshop! The good folk at Transport Models must love you - just how big a percentage of their annual turnover do you actually provide?!?

I'll go down a different route from Slate - I have no idea about all of the parts which went into the original and, as a detailing "tour de force" your efforts in applying all of those parts, and weathering them, is something to be marvelled at. To me, it simply doesn't matter a jot so long as it's done with dedication, love for the subject and not a little perspiration - from your pictures, your Falcon exudes all three elements.

Great to see the happy builder in the photograph - something we don't see very often on the ETF - and, most sincerely, congratulations on a wonderful model Barrie.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
barrie
Weapons Technician

Hello Mr slate,
your right about the kit part counting brigade but I just like to build models and having sold quite a few to collectors I have no problem about what should or should not go on the model. In fact many people have commented that they like the made by hand approach rather than the I bought hundreds of kits to be accurate route. When many of the original studio models of many films and tv series where made they just built models never thinking that people were going to spend weeks months and even years trying to figure out what bits they had used. I enjoy my model making and I keep trying to improve, I am a maker of models NOT a model maker. as for RPF I have have placed many post on the site and have never been given stick for not having the right bit in the right place. Like you say having fun is the main thing and I have lots of that. here are a few images of me having fun.

regards barrie ( the old guy )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m2 bottom of track.jpg (58.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5084.jpg (59.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5793.jpg (58.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg main interior.jpg (70.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg pencil and tracks.jpg (70.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg user16134_pic15736_1344984716.jpg (60.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg user16134_pic15735_1344984716.jpg (73.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0136.jpg (64.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8178.jpg (50.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
barrie
Weapons Technician

Hello Patrick,
yes going thekit part route is time consuming very exspensive and boring I just love to model and build because I love it and I like to try and replicate a model as best as I can but with out resorting to a HUGE exspense to get that " EXACT " copy of the original and as I have found over many years there are many different versions of each model depending on scale and who built the models at the time. As for the falcon only Mr Lucas who owns the original model will know if any model which has been made of the falcon is accurate or not. Thank you for the kind comments and have fun model making which is what I do.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Great looking Falcon Barrie.
As for using kit parts if you have the money and time to hunt them down fair enough but for most people that's not always possible. I don't buy kit parts because I never have the money to do so and anyway its much more fun in creating parts from scratch which is what I do most of the time.
Each different scale of the original Falcon had different detailing so who's to say what's right or wrong.
I'd be proud to own your Falcon fantastic job.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Great looking Falcon there Barrie - will be down there for Easter so will need to try and make a point of popping in the TMofP to view her for real
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
barrie
Weapons Technician

Hello gentlemen Thank you both for your comments, like you Mr Badsimmonds I do not have the money or time being an old guy time running out to hunt down EXACT bits I like yourself like to make my own and try to recreate the parts and models true scratchbuilding rather than relying on kit parts. I do hope that you Mr Crimson Binome get a chance to see the falcon IN PERSON if she gets snapped up by anyone before you get there I will let you know, my last falcon is now in a private collection of star wars models.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Hi Barrie
well it was worth the trip (plus caught up with the in laws) as well as being impressed with size and detail you have a thumbs up from my boy - it got a double WOW from him as the staff will tell you ! one for the Falcon and one for the Vader TIE
Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
barrie
Weapons Technician

thank you very much Mr Crimson Binome for the kind words I am glad that you and your son liked the models, and even better you got some good time with your in laws. I have another couple of things going at the moment but a family member is ill and so model making will have to wait a little while but as they say watch this space.

best regards Barrie ( the old guy )
Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Cheers Barrie
Did you ever start the Enterprise model?
I saw many of your model had gone - Galactica Star Wars consular transport and Nautilus - hope they all went to good homes