Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Howard
Deputy Commander

Default I'm not happy at all! Shapeways Recaster.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ZAP...mbat-eagles-x4

'1970s magazine' my foot!
Ok, perhaps not a recaster as such, but that's MY design, and it has been well documented.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

I know how you feel Howard. They did the same thing to me. You'd think they would have the class to at least acknowledge the designer. Certainly calls their ethics into question.
BP
B.P. Taylor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
skiffy
Communications Officer

"Designs by Mechanoid" ...... Yeah, right.

I feel your pain. That's despicable and it's why I chose not to release any of my meshes anywhere.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

Mechanoid is obviously a thieving hack.
B.P. Taylor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #5
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

That really sucks. Howard, can you contact Shapeways and inform them that the Kestrel is your design and that Mechanoid has stolen your design and have Shapeways stop making and selling your design.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Digital Printing is making this easier and easier; the trouble is once the file is out there...
They must have looked at the design, checked that there was no TM on the images and gone ahead regardless.
He may well mean digital design by Mechnoid?
But somehow I doubt it.

I must admit that I'm investigating 3D printing myself, I can't afford kits for a few parts anymore. I'm going to digitize the kit bits I use all the while and then print them out as I need them.
At only 600 for a top grade unit and software. Its a no-brainer.
Howard you are the first; but I don't think you will be the last to be screwed over.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Treading warily....

Gentlemen, I've no experience in this matter at all, but for somebody to copy your work and not even have the common courtesy to contact you first, Howard....I can understand why you're not pleased. The Kestrel really is a unique piece of work.

I'm no genius but I typed "Space 1999 Kestrel" into Google, clicked onto the original thread and, six posts down, discovered that Howard had laid claim to it way back then. What I'm saying is that it took me about 60 seconds to check what anybody else could have done, especially in this day and age when so many of us have almost instantaneous access to so much information. I think that's what would annoy me the most - somebody else taking the credit for my own original idea.

Don't know what else I can add, Howard - you have my sympathies.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

Gentleman, many thanks indeed for your support over this matter, it's really appreciated!

I will address this matter tomorrow - a hard day at work and at home with the kids has taken its toll.
I will post tomorrow with how I have taken steps over this.

Cheers all!
Old 13-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I would certainly be contacting Shapeways to complain and in fact threaten them with a lawsuit. Just the threat of tyou taking it further might goad them into action. Likewise with this mechanoid fella!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
Howard
Deputy Commander

Here's the message I've just sent to Shapeways:

This is my design - I have not given permission for this model to be copied and made available to the public. The Shapeways user supplying this did not contact me and ask permission to supply this to the public. He and Shapeways are making money from my design.
A simple Google image search : 'Space 1999 Kestrel' will prove this.
The user says this model was from a magazine from the 1970s - this is untrue, as my model was featured on the cover of Science Fiction and Fantasy Modeler magazine, issue 15 back in 2009.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Just to clarify - I don't mind anyone building their own version of this ship, in fact, I encourage it. Adapt it, change it, have fun with it - that's what we're all about here - furthering the Space:1999 legacy and keeping it alive.

I draw the line in mass produced kits sold to the public - as I would guess all of you guys would, from one of your own original designs.

I'll post Shapeways reply as soon as I hear from them...

Cheers all!

Last edited by Howard; 14-05-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Details

Old 14-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Hear, Hear, Howard;
Seriously aggrieved to the point of violence would be my standpoint.
One thing worth pointing out; is that in the disclaimer of all issues of Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller - it clearly states that copyright to the material as submitted remains with the author - that's COPYRIGHT!
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
Howard
Deputy Commander

Very good point, HH!
I'd not thought of that, thanks.
Old 14-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I'm glad you have done that Howard. They certainly need to be told as Shapeways is probably unaware of the situation.

I've had to take similar action against people using my photos. Notrmally I'm happy to let others use them so long as it is not for profit and I'm given a credit. But others like MiM using my photos to promote a product and make money off the back of my photos are most definitely not on!

Keith
Old 14-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
Howard
Deputy Commander

Keith, you're exactly right - if it's not for profit and you're quoted, then fine.

I've been aware of MIM conducting their practices for many years now - back in the early 2000s the RPF was rife with complaints concerning them selling kits using other garage kit / custom builds guy's photos.
I just hope in this situation - as 3D printing is fairly new, that (as in this thread) anyone found trying to make a quick couple of quid off of someone else is flagged and reported.

Perhaps a new term is needed. Not a recaster, as I mentioned above, but something else along the 3D line.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Howard, it is quite simply a breach of copyright.

Keith

Old 14-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #16
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

You don't need a lawyer to get something "legally copyrighted" - the copyright is implicit when you create something and claim it as copyright your work. You only need to use lawyers to protect that copyright, however most sensible publishers will try to avoid getting lawyers involved if they can and settle the dispute. In the case of Shapeways, they just remove the item from sale.

Don't confuse copyright with Trade Mark or patents, they are totally different things which do need lawyers.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
You don't need a lawyer to get something "legally copyrighted" - the copyright is implicit when you create something and claim it as copyright your work. You only need to use lawyers to protect that copyright, however most sensible publishers will try to avoid getting lawyers involved if they can and settle the dispute. In the case of Shapeways, they just remove the item from sale.

Don't confuse copyright with Trade Mark or patents, they are totally different things which do need lawyers.
Howard may be on a sticky wicket trying to copyright that design as there are so many Eagle parts in it. And the Re-Printer (new word ?) knows this also. Sadly - although I am on Howard's side and support him - if this was a law suit I don't think he would win sadly.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Not in the slightest, it might be a derived work but the new design is HIS. Parts of it may be derived from something else but that doesn't detract from him being able to claim for the new design.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
stingray48442
Exile

copy right laws are trick you have to pay a fee for a license and a copy right number has to be recorded actually a pattern number to prove its your work and the law will not touch anyone who does not mass produce over a certain amount it can get very expensive and there is no reward at the end just a cease order
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
stingray48442
Exile

if you follow the news on song writers some have been sued just because the song sounds the same the beak on the eagle is the same what im trying to say is it is not 100% your design here lies the problem. I do like your work hope you don't take it the wrong way I went to school to study law
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote