SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Default Moonbase alpha returns in space atation 76

Have any of you seen this movie?

They intentionally wanted to show the future as is was thought of in the 70s: the interior of the station was intentionally designed around the look of moonbase alpha!

The other thing that's impressive about it is they really managed to capture the feeling of the times...the zeitgeist. It made me miss the hopefulness of the time, while at the same time remembering how easily shallowness was embraced.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 03-06-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

They really fell down with the tech design for the ships though: they should have been more 2001 / space 1999, instead they were more star trek looking tech,.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Haven't seen it- is it available for streaming?
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
Haven't seen it- is it available for streaming?
I dunno: it's on dvd though.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Glazy
Medical Technician

Not a great movie !! Nice look to it though but comedy is very hit and miss !!
Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazy View Post
It's not really funny , unless by accident. I think the idea they were going for was to create the feel of the time, much like the book/movie 'serial'.

I think that this is it's weakness: it needed to have a strong ending, and it just sort of trailed off.

They should have decided if they really wanted it to be funny or not...they seemed to not know really what they wanted to do.

It's more like the 'awkward' kind of humor you see in napoleon dynamite, but they needed to actually make the situations more ridiculous to really drive the point home.

For example, making fun of the technology was a bit too subtle: they should have looked at how they did it in 'idiocracy'. with complicated equipment dumbed down so dumdums could use it.

The closest thing to funny they got was the captians repeated suicide attempts...if they wanted to really make that funny, though, they should have put them all together instead of spreading them out , and make them progressively more absurd.

The robot therapist could have been funny, but they didn't take that far enough either:

Last edited by Ham Salad; 03-06-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Glazy
Medical Technician

It was no Dark Star that's for sure !!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
It was no Dark Star that's for sure !!
That's an interesting thought...especially since originally dark star was supposed to be serious, but when they showed the rushes people kept laughing, so they added more comedy.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default My interest is piqued....

I didn't even realise this film existed - I thought you'd dug up some little known cinematic release from the seventies! I'll definitely be looking out for this on DVD: I'll go for a little-known and unusual movie over the usual blockbuster suspects any day. Watched the trailer - thanks for bringing this to a wider audience.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I didn't even realise this film existed - I thought you'd dug up some little known cinematic release from the seventies! I'll definitely be looking out for this on DVD: I'll go for a little-known and unusual movie over the usual blockbuster suspects any day. Watched the trailer - thanks for bringing this to a wider audience.

Kindest regards

Patrick
You know, the funny thing about nostalgia: when I was a teenager in the '70, I thought the silly clothes, the 'me generation', the shallowness and the callousness masquerading as self actualization was stupid. But compared to now...well, I didn't realize how good things were, or how much better a leisure suit looks than having you pants at half mast.

Compared to today, the issues that the characters go through seem childish and ignorant, rather than actually bad, the way people have become now. And I miss a future you could actually look forward to.

This movie, for all it's faults, made me wish I could go back. Back to the '70s, and back to alpha. Back to hope.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 09-06-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I never even knew that movie had ever existed.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Its really quite poor, watch it with zero expectations and you might find it interesting. Expect anything good and it will be a major disappointment. I gave my copy away and never wish to see it again - it made 'Silent Running' look like an action film!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Its really quite poor, watch it with zero expectations and you might find it interesting. Expect anything good and it will be a major disappointment. I gave my copy away and never wish to see it again - it made 'Silent Running' look like an action film!
I'd think it would be disappointing to a lot of people because it's not really a story: narrative films is supposed to be about a series of RELEVANT events. It's not supposed to be about just any series of events that have no importance and just happen to take place around the same time period.

Imagine what 2001 would be like if it ended wit HAL almost killing off the crew, without getting to the monolith.

That why I say, this film seems aimless because it has no resolution, no real ending.

It's chiefly interesting more in the mood it sets. The FX are quite good as well, well done and well realized without the absurd exaggerated camera and angles and movements that have made CG effects so cartoonish of late.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
Glazy
Medical Technician

I bought it, but in some ways I doubt I'll ever sit down and watch it again !!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #15
Dion2012
Alphan

Watched it twice. Will watch again. Recently finished Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. There's a really specific, mysterious quality that goes with the 70's and it must be tricky to rekindle that with film/television.
Dion2012 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
I think it's worst failing is that it has no real ending...it just trails off without resolving the issues raised for the characters.

If I were doing it, I'd have had the rock hit the station, and end with the threes survivors being sunshine, the exec. officer, and sunshine's' dad all in the dome, as with silent running.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 12-08-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 14-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #17
gwent
Computer Technician

The mood of this film was very odd. Some of the humor made me feel really uncomfortable for the characters. Many scenes were just plain awkward. I did enjoy it, but it was a very bizarre film. Most people won't "get" this one at all. I loved the Moonbase Alpha hallways. The ship exteriors weren't so great. This isn't even out on blu-ray - DVD only. Gives you an idea on how confident they are with this film.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote