Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Default My Hasbro Falcon

When the Diagostini model came out I started to collect the issues but I then decided 900 was more than I was willing to part with even if it was over two years. The model does look good and there are a number of builds on various sites including this one that are doing an absolute amazing job on them.
I sold my issues and looked around for a subject to build, after doing five scratch builds in a row it was time for a kit or something. I then came across a Hasbro Falcon that was issued last year and is their most accurate version of this craft as its not meant for figures, but it is 28 inches long. Ok some will say this and that are not right but as far as I was concerned it looked like the Falcon and it even had the mandibles toe in at the front which a lot of kits etc don't have.
I bought it for 20 and when delivered found out it was made from that awful soft, waxy plastic that hates glues and paint just like the Johnny Express cab I dealt with recently.
The first thing to do was to undo the 25 screws which hold the two halves together and see what was inside. This model also had landing gear permanently fixed in place, in fact they were just detailed raised bits that had no relation to the original gear.
Plus a lot of the details around the edges was in fact just stickers so they would have to be replaced. I started by removing all stickers from the entire model which also included the coloured areas around the body, this took ages as I had to use white spirit to get them off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4895.JPG (118.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4896.JPG (117.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4899.JPG (118.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4900.JPG (114.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4902.JPG (113.6 KB, 34 views)
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Challenging stuff.....

Fascinated to see what you're going to do with this M, so will be tuning in to each new episode. The upside is you've got yourself a lot of Falcon for not a lot of money, but it looks like you've set yourself a challenge, what with the paint-adverse material from which it's made....

At least, when it's completed, you'll be able to say "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I made a lot of special modifications myself!"

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

I reckon you can make this a original beaut....
DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi everyone.
I'll probably disappoint a few people with this build as I'm not going to do an accurate version of the falcon as I don't have the parts or money to buy the prepaid sections some sites are offering.
In fact if this toy had proper detailed panels I'd do even less to it than I intend to.
I started to cut out the windows on the top section gun turret and then I wished I hadn't as the crappy plastic prevents you from doing a nice clean job, all thoughts of cutting out the cockpit went right out the window so to speak.
In between doing this I started to experiment with the plastic in respect of glue and paint. I first sanded an area inside and glued various things but none stuck. I then sanded another area and sprayed some primer, this seemed to work as none of the paint came off after using the masking tape method, the non sanded painted area the paint came off on the masking tape.
I then cleaned an area with some white spirit and sprayed that when dry, again the paint seemed to stick ok.
Why do they have to use this sort of plastic as its almost impossible to work with properly, I hate the stuff but it has to said for the money its not a bad version of the falcon with plenty of detail even if in others eyes its not entirely accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4906.JPG (114.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4907.JPG (117.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4916.JPG (113.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 27-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

You are doing a great job and its your custom build so as long as you are happy with how it turns out - looks like its going to be a great project - will it be finished in time for the new movie??
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
skiffy
Communications Officer

Hey, Badsimmons - great project. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

If you find a glue that works with this awful PVC style plastic, please share the knowledge! I have a couple of projects that are stalled because this stuff is used.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Never disappointed....

Personally, I don't know every nut and bolt on the studio scale Falcon, so whatever detailing you change and modifications you make will look just fine. What's more important is you have fun doing this - I suspect you'll have some hurdles to overcome along the way. Look forward to more photographs,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I'm afraid I didn't find any glue to stick this plastic but somewhere out there must be something. I decided in the end not to glue but to use nuts and bolts where needed.
During some paint experiments I decided to spray (Halfords Plastic Primer) part of the outside hull on this toy but as I couldn't decide what colour the actual model should be I came to the conclusion that the plastic colour was good enough for me but how to remove the primer spray from the hull?
Again I turned to white spirit and found it would remove the primer and at the same time if I didn't wipe too hard it left some paint in-between the panels and actually looked quite good.
So I then washed the entire model in white spirit - a very messy job - this had the effect of removing the shine from the plastic and making it easier for the paint to stick.
Once the model was dry I then lightly sprayed grey primer over the whole model. Afterwards I then wiped the model with a rag with white spirit and it removed all the paint except for the panel gaps, it did look quite effective and saves trying to paint dirt in all these gaps.
I have only one photo that nearly shows this effect.
The first photo shows the underside of the Falcon which doesn't have a full cannon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4930.jpg (57.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4919.JPG (115.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 02-07-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Once I had wiped off the primer paint just leaving what was in-between the panels I turned my attention to the built in landing legs/blocks. For some reason this toy just had five blocks with little detail for the toy to sit on, as I wanted an in-flight mode I cut off the blocks using a saw and trimmed with a stanley knife. I was just going to cover these holes with some plasticard with a little detail which would be kept in place using small nuts/bolts. The first bolts I used were too big really so I replaced them with smaller ones though to be honest I don't really like this area, thank fully it won't be seen when on its new stand so. The photo shows the underside before I modified the new panels in case your wondering. If this toy was made from different plastic I would have done something completely different.
The next step was to create a means for the toy to be supported by a single metal rod. The only way I could do this was to cut and shape some mdf and just screw it into place through the plastic hull. Again it won't be seen properly though I did use screw washers to disguise the screw heads a bit on the outside hull.
That's about it for now, the next stage is to start detailing the areas where stickers were used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4921.JPG (112.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4920.JPG (122.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4922.JPG (115.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4931.JPG (168.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 05-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Why do they have to use this sort of plastic as its almost impossible to work with properly,

Durability: after all it's meant to be a toy. On the other hand, ever try to paint the orange landing gear of a dinky interceptor?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Most of the side details were just stickers so they have to be replaced with proper detailing. I won't be doing 100% accurate parts as I don't intend to buy the correct parts plus all the original film models had different detailing so I it means I can get away with it more or less. There are 'correct' parts available to buy for this toy from Shapeways etc but they are nice but very expensive. Perhaps one day I might buy one of their falcon cabins but we'll see.
To create the panels I cut out plasticard sections which would fit the required areas and glued on bits & pieces which I thought might do. It was difficult as I had to use very small parts so I pinched bits from all the kits I had lying around plus I made some up from things like garden ties etc. All I wanted was to give the impression of these areas being very 'busy' and although some might disagree I'm reasonably happy with it. In photo two there are two sections of detailing which are cream coloured these are the only side detailing that comes with the toy.
I would prefer a Diagostini kit but that's impossible and I take my hat off to those who building fantastic replicas of this craft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4915.JPG (117.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4923.JPG (120.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4932.jpg (74.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 13-07-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 13-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Its a great effort and looks the part -again as long as you are happy with the results go on with your tasks it'll be YOUR Falcon and not another one like it.
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Once I had created all six detailed panels I had to work out how to fix them to this plastic. I came across a product 'Mammoth Tape' (the tape that thinks its a glue) which was unbelievably sticky, so much so I had a hard time cutting with scissors or Stanley as it stuck to everything.
I roughed up the areas on the toy and back side of the side panels with sandpaper and eventually managed to get some of this tape onto the panels.
It did stick but because four of the panels are curved I decided to play safe and drilled small holes right through the panels and used the smallest self tappers I had.
Once in place I also added some pipework detail made from brass rod, again I just drilled through the panels and just pushed the rods in using no fixings, they will be painted later.
I did not cut out the windows in the cockpit because of the soft plastic so I just painted the windows black, not entirely ideal but will do for the moment.
I might buy a Shapeways cockpit at some future date if I find some money lying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4934.JPG (111.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4946.JPG (116.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4947.JPG (118.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4943.JPG (117.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 22-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

The six vents on the Falcon were just stickers so once removed all that was left was a smooth surface. I decided to buy a battery cover from an earlier Hasbro Falcon and used this to cover the blank areas.
I cut the six vents from the rest of the cover (nice workable plastic) and sanded and trimmed them down. They were quite thick so I sanded them down as far as I could before fixing in place using that extra strong tape.
They are not completely ideal but will have to do for the moment.
As usual I jumped the gun so to speak and started the dirtying down of this model using an airbrush with Tamiya XF1 flat black. I'm just using the basic colour of the plastic as the finished look of this model so all that needs done is the dirtying down. Before I started I did hand brush the recessed areas on the hull with a very weak solution of the Tamiya black just to give a rough look, I then went over them again with the airbrush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4952.JPG (117.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4905.JPG (120.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4956.JPG (117.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4957.JPG (118.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4970.JPG (121.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 23-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Most impressive.....

Been off on holiday, so missing out on my regular fix of badsimmonds action - caught up with you now. This is all very very good indeed - classic badsimmonds construction techniques, adaptations and ingenuity all on prominent display. What a Falcon this is going to turn out to be - and all at a fraction of the cost of other kits or models. Well done M - keep those pictures and updates coming. Just remember -

"Great, kid....don't get cocky!"

Kindest regards

Patrick

Old 26-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

I've scratchbuilt some detail pieces to go into the six vents on the back of mine, and wondered if anyone would be interested in a set if I cast some more up ?
They're not accurate to the filming model but once they're under some mesh or photoetch I think they look cool enough.

Neo-Uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Those exhaust parts look really good Neo but in keeping with my usual laziness I decided not to cut out the exhaust holes as I hate working with this type of plastic. But your mouldings would certainly enhance this toy and look forward to seeing them on your Hasbro.
I keep jumping about with this build so I better mention the coloured areas around the body.
As I mentioned earlier the details and even the colours seem to vary according to which original model you look at though what I'm saying is its my excuse if the colours and locations are slightly different on this version.
For the grey sections I used Humbrol matt grey 64, and for the 'redy' bits I used Humbrol matt red 153. There are one or two yellow areas for which I used Humbrol yellow 154.
With the six exhaust grills in place I was able to dirty the whole model using an air brush and Tamiya XF1 black. I may have gone slightly overboard with this but it was the look I was after to get away from the toy look.
For the actual rear engine I used two Plastruct 'G' scale plastic ladders glued to a piece of thin plasti card, I think this looks better than the original sticker even if it was in colour. This was fixed in place using that unbelievably sticky tape though I did use a couple of small self tappers at each end with it being curved.
That's about it, this wasn't a large project and I never intended for it to be a perfect replica as there are a number of much more accurate builds on this site. All I wanted was a Falcon and for 20 I got a 28" version which for all its faults is recognisable as Han Solos famous ship.
If I've missed anything out sorry but I did seem to jump around with these posts.
I'll post some finish photos soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4951.JPG (120.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4959.JPG (118.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4963.JPG (115.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4965.JPG (115.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4971.JPG (122.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 30-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 30-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I think it's come out pretty damn good for a budget conversion Malcolm ! Weathring does not look to heavy in the pics, unless the flash is blinding some of it. I'd be tempted to give the whole thing a very thin dark wash to highlight the panel lines, and maybe scratch some of the panels to make them look worn, but I am not sure how a dark wash would react with this type of plastic so be careful if you go down this route.

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 30-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #19
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Slate many thanks.
I did spray the entire model with a light coat of gray primer which I washed off using white spirit which removed it but left some in between the panels and actually looked surprisingly quite good, unfortunately it doesn't really show up well in the photos.

One thing I found about this plastic which I wished I'd known when building the Jason Truck was paint will stick much better after the whole thing has been washed in white spirit. Its a dirty smelly job but I think worth it as it takes the shine away from the plastic without damaging it and really does improve paint sticking, however it does not help in any way with glues.
My finish photos which I'll post shortly are again nothing special as I just took the model outside on the drive and took a few photos.
Old 30-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default As the spirit moves me.....

M, hijacking your thread again, but the white spirit thing sounds like a really good idea - if nothing else, it'll give the surfaces a bit of a fright and might help to dull down some shiny surfaces. Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing the Falcon's drive in action....

Kindest regards

Patrick